MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot bath or pressure canning ???????

Boolit Master
    We're still using the pressure canner we bought 40 yrs ago. It's the Weight kind not the dial(for the pressure) kind; just keep the pressure vent clear and keep a spare rubber seal on hand as they do wear out.

You can water bath in the pressure unit but you can't pressure can in a water bath kettle.

Moderator Emeritus

I was digging in the freezer for something tonight and came across some 3 year old vac bagged green beans. Thought what the heck, cook them up... tasted like the day I froze them. I like to thaw and saute them in garlic butter so they stay a tiny bit firm instead of the limp canned green bean...

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Good to know. We have, a couple of times canned them.

Boolit Bub
    I got a lot of great information and good reading from some of the magazines and books I have found specially the ones that were suggested here. I would still like to try the open bath or hot bath later. I will probably go ahead and do most of the beans with pressure to be sure some will survive. All of this has answered a lot of my questions. Thanks a lot.

Boolit Master
    If firewalkerd1 is okay with it...

Along the same topic. We've been using a 23 qt. Presto Aluminum pressure canner for about 5 years. We've talked about adding a larger stainless model to our kitchen hardware. I'd like to use the pressure cooker/canner as a stock pot when doing spaghetti sauce, as I usually do about 3 gallons at a time, then we can that which will not get consumed in the next 48 hours. I won't cook much of anything in aluminum and especially not a high acid food.

Anybody using a stainless pressure canner and if so, what brand and would you buy that brand again?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    We use the PRESTO small & large Stainless ones. ( don't remember the quart sizes) for about 15 years & have been quite happy with the investment. Use the small one once a week in Winter months. Use the large one mostly for canning in the Fall. Small one just has the rocker, large has rocker & gauge both.

Based on "our" usage, I would recommend them. They make an excellent wedding gift, btw.

Gonna go get a new seal for the lid/pot connection though, as this topic reminds me that I should before too long. Not going bad yet on either one, but want to get them now before we need them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    If firewalkerd1 is okay with it...

Along the same topic. We've been using a 23 qt. Presto Aluminum pressure canner for about 5 years. We've talked about adding a larger stainless model to our kitchen hardware. I'd like to use the pressure cooker/canner as a stock pot when doing spaghetti sauce, as I usually do about 3 gallons at a time, then we can that which will not get consumed in the next 48 hours. I won't cook much of anything in aluminum and especially not a high acid food.

Anybody using a stainless pressure canner and if so, what brand and would you buy that brand again?
    Attachment 199242

I have this set, the large pot is 8 liter.
    I love it, I use it all the time for dry beans and tough meat. back when I cooked rice (I don't eat rice anymore), this was the best way to cook rice, especially gourmet rice like basmati or jasmine. But it's not large enough for canning, IMHO
    the bottom is very thick (aluminum clad) and claims to be induction friendly.

I love the quick release (pressure release), especially for dry beans..."quick soak"

http://www.fagoramerica.com/cookware..._1_5_piece_set
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Whatever you do DO NOT quick release a pressure canner load of jars...I usually take the pressur vessel off the heating unit when the time is up and leave the rocker on for at least 10 minutes--the books have minimum guidelines for opening but I've found that leaving the canner sealed for a few hours to overnight works well for us.

We're usually beat by then anyhow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Beans are far tastier blanched and vacuum bagged and frozen!
    Agreed. I got into canning when I rented and didn't have a big freezer. I was canning venison but I prefer it frozen. Freezing avoids the salt and the overcooked texture. I can eat canned venison but I know it's not the best it can be. I double wrap meat in plastic wrap, the butchers paper, tape that and drop the works in freezer bags. Two years is easy for that packaging.

Banned
    we use pressure canning, hot bath( called colpack around here), freezing, pickling, brining and smoking and drying. Depends on what it is and what you want to do with it. Same as my folks, and theirs did

Moderator Emeritus

I have a large presto pressure canner, holds 7 quart jars of memory serves me(it is buried in the pantry... only use it in fall). American Pressure Canners are a caddy of pressure canners with a price tag to match. Metal to metal seal so no rubber seals that wear out https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S88Z...ding=UTF8&th=1

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    Whatever you do DO NOT quick release a pressure canner load of jars...I usually take the pressur vessel off the heating unit when the time is up and leave the rocker on for at least 10 minutes--the books have minimum guidelines for opening but I've found that leaving the canner sealed for a few hours to overnight works well for us.

We're usually beat by then anyhow.
    I've been told this by a few other people "leaving the canner sealed for a few hours to overnight works well for us"
    It's rare for me to 'can' a batch that's only one canner full...I could never wait a few hours.
    I don't use my Fagor (stainless) for canning, I use an old timer heavy aluminum with guage for canning. After the processing time is done, I remove from heat and leave the weight on, til the pressure goes down to about 4lbs (most of my processes are at 10lbs) that takes about 10 minutes, then I remove the weight and in about one minute more, the pressure is released and I open the Lid. I will admit, that if I open it any sooner, I will have problems with jar seals...but I rarely have any seal problems when I follow what I prescribed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Yes for multiple batches that's what we do too. It's just the two of us so double or triple batch days are rare around my house.

I agree that most veggies taste better frozen rather than canned. Also Tomatoes freeze well if you're just gonna make sauces anyway--just pop into s gallon ziploc and into the freezer. When you want to make sauce just take some out and either nuke for a bit to get the skins off and go for it--after sauce is made canning the sauce seems to make it much better.

Moderator Emeritus

I let pressure drop completely, only takes 20 minutes and that lets the jars cool a bit too before hitting cold air(I often can outside to keep the mess out of the kitchen).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I let pressure drop completely, only takes 20 minutes and that lets the jars cool a bit too before hitting cold air(I often can outside to keep the mess out of the kitchen).
    I wish it only took twenty minutes. I have this pressure cooker: All American 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker Canner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S88Z..._y9jyzb2W1B5C7
    It takes a long time for it to cool. Usually about an hour and even then when I remove the weight there is still some pressure on it. I've lost to much liquid out of the jars by removing the weight to early.

Boolit Master

I have a couple AA canners. 15 and a 21 quart. Picking up the jiggled before getting to
    Zero is bad. Instant jar boil over. Btdt. I have a smaller stainless presto that cools faster due to
    Size and materials. Not big enough for
    Canning

Boolit Master

Note: you do not need to salt any meat you pressure can. I never salt the meat.

Boolit Master

Huh. It's been a while but I think I followed the ball blue book. The salt was half the problem but the texture gets funky.

I should can some ground to see if I see any texture issue. In all reality I'd use more ground than sliced or cubed.

Thanks for the tip.

Boolit Master
    Have not done this in many years but in my estimation there is no finer meal that canned Elk over mashed potatoes in camp...We put the meat up in 1/2 pints just seared and canned--when you put it into the pan add a bit of flour and pepper --makes the best gravy and really easy after a hard day packin'.

Of course bein' HONGRY adds the best sauce...

Moderator Emeritus

Canned meats... the Amish microwave food! Heat and eat. Makes for a nice quick meal

Moderator Emeritus

My wife has used a 7 quart Presto for over 38 years. She has replaced the rubber ring once.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze