RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todays wheel weight score

Todays wheel weight score

I went to a local tire store today and ordered a new set of tires for Momma's Jeep. Asked the mgr if they had any wheel weights. He said he thought so and gave me a 2/3 5gal bucket of weights. Asked if I'd bring the bucket back. I asked if he drank beer and what kind.
    I sorted the weights (about 1/3 FE & ZN) stopped at the beer store and bought a 12 pack of Bud Light. Took his bucket back with the 12 pack inside and said "there sure were a lot of FE & ZN in the bucket".
    He said follow me and we went to the truck shop. I got another 2/3 5gal bucket of BIG weights. He said these should be mostly lead.
    I'll sort tomorrow and stop at the beer store again
    I'll need another set of tires next month for my truck so I know where I will go.
    BTW-the price for the tires was less than 10% over Tire Rack!! I've found my new tire store
    NRA Benefactor Member

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow... very cool
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    Not a ginormous score BUT getting a good source for COWW is invaluable.
    Is it just me or? I find that a case of beer is worth more than $ in instances like this

Boolit Grand Master

Good Score! Thats the way its done.

Some cold beer always goes a long way to getting some excellent service .

Moderator Emeritus

I repair electronic stuff for the guys at the co-op they do a lot of tuck tires so I have a pretty steady supply of good wheel weights. Averaging 85% lead still. They ask what they owe and I ask if they have a bucket of lead for me. Last stereo they gave me 3 buckets full that were 95% lead truck weights. So I had $50 in parts in that car stereo and an hour of my time, in exchange I got 400+ pounds of lead.

Boolit Master

Sweeeeet!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

geez, you are lucky. hopefully in 4 months or so I am going on a road trip and I am going to stop in all the tiny towns and ask the mechanic/tire guy, hoping to find a hidden oasis!!!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Good score Mary!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    geez, you are lucky. hopefully in 4 months or so I am going on a road trip and I am going to stop in all the tiny towns and ask the mechanic/tire guy, hoping to find a hidden oasis!!!
    Look in the yellow pages, find any tire store that sells used tires. Or small mom & pop tire/ auto repair places. Used tires are put on older cars, older cars have more lead WW's and corporate stores will almost never sell or give you WW's "company policy".

Doesn't hurt to try back from time to time also. Small auto dealerships that sell used cars may have some too. They will often have a small repair facility to prep the used cars.

Bring a bathroom scale on your road trip, and call local scrap yards to find out what they will pay for WW's they buy when brought in. Offer a few cents more per pound, small business seem to view even 5 cents a pound as a "better deal" and it can get them sold to you. And on a hundred pound bucket that is like $5 more than the scrap yard would buy them for, and that scrap yard would sell them to you for 2x what they paid (assuming they would even sell lead to the public) so still a good deal for you.

You know I still buy lead once in awhile maybe 40 or 50 pounds every month or two. Just enough to maintain a relationship. And give me a reason to drop off some tall boys or donuts. Hit a scrap yard with a $5 pizza one Saturday and you would have thought I was Santa Clause. No roach coach on Saturdays so hot lunch "on me" was really welcome.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In 8 years of casting, I have never been able to buy ww here in Central Florida. The fishing industry locked that up years age for sinkers.. Sux but I make do with my northern friends when we get together. I bring sheet lead, they bring WW's

Boolit Grand Master

The Barter system still works! Its good to be able to swap with friends.

Moderator Emeritus

Helps I buy all my gas there, buy all my tires there... plus I shoot with some of the guys and will cast up boolits for them now and then. Gave them 1k 120 grain Lee 120tc (.359 as cast, they size as needed, my Hipoint has a sewer barrel and I can use them as cast) and 500 Lee TC 200 grain .451 boolits today so they can load up for our next range competition. About every 3 months we have a fun competition to see who is the better shot. Using my C9 I tend to out shoot them, using a borrowed 45 I don't do as well but that is my carpal tunnel not liking the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    Good score Mary!

Boolit Bub
    Back when I used to mechanic for all my friends I learned that if there was something I couldn't diagnose I could walk into the dealer's service dept with a 12 pack and someone would teach me how to diagnose and repair the problem.

Boolit Mold

Wheel weights

I saved WW for years when I was doing a lot of shooting. Still have over 1800 pounds cast into 1 pound bars. Been trying to sell at least some at $.90 a pound to my old Cowboy Shoot friends and no one seems to want any WW material.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    I saved WW for years when I was doing a lot of shooting. Still have over 1800 pounds cast into 1 pound bars. Been trying to sell at least some at $.90 a pound to my old Cowboy Shoot friends and no one seems to want any WW material.
    They don't know what they are missing! Are they wanting something softer?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Cool

My latest delivery from a friendly tire business here in the South. 400 pounds of wheel weight split into 8 buckets so they can be lifted.

The results: 325 pounds of ready to go alloy.

Update-the second bucket was from the truck tire shop. It was much better. It had about 80lbs in it and I culled out about 5lbs of zinc weights and no iron/steel weights. Truck weights do not seem to have made the big changeover yet and the weights are a LOT bigger.
    FWIW- I have traded a bucket of zinc and iron weights to the used tore shops for a bucket of their used weights. They don't buy new weights!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    My latest delivery from a friendly tire business here in the South. 400 pounds of wheel weight split into 8 buckets so they can be lifted.

The results: 325 pounds of ready to go alloy.

MOA - I hit every tire shop I could think of in the Mobile area - and came up with zip. Not one of them was what I would call friendly. Most of 'em just gave me a dirty look and told me they already had somebody that got them.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Banned

That somebody is probably MOA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast