Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone built a bolt action 30-30?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I agree with all your points, but don't think that makes a Contender "different". Just makes it a great gun. Different is something most people don't have. Lots of Contenders out there.

yes, there are a few out there!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna be buried with my Winchester 54 .30-30. 'Nuff said.

Boolit Master
    I have a savage 340 in 30-30 and some mauser 98 in 30-30 that I rebarreled but I never built a bolt action.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    a cheap action to use would be the muslin 91-30 or even a british enfield.

Boolit Master

I would like to set up a Rem. 700 short action in .308 x 1.5". Bet it would be a good cast boolit cartridge.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    A Hiwall in 30-30 can be a great shooter. As Mount Chambers stated"no magazine/rim concerns". Breach seat or fixed ammo.
    It's not Mount Chambers.....It's M.T. Chambers, as in "empty chambers"........get it.....I'll spell it all out when I have time.

I built one up on a # 1 mk 3 enfeild just for grins. Had to add new feed lips to the mag to get it to feed but the bolt face and extractor work just fine with 30-30 as is. It's a fun little gun. It was a lamp when I bought it at a garage sale for 20$. The rifle had been bubbaed long ago then the chamber drilled to pass the cord. now it's a dedicated cast bullet gun and damn fast too.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 06-03-2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    A Hiwall in 30-30 can be a great shooter. As Mount Chambers stated"no magazine/rim concerns". Breach seat or fixed ammo.
    Now a High Wall would be cool too.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 05-31-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    It's not Mount Chambers.....It's M.T. Chambers, as in "empty chambers"........get it.....I'll spell it all out when I have time.
    Aw heck, I always read it as "Montana Chambers". Funny how the obvious sometimes isn't.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

If a Enfield would work it seems to me a 30-40 Krag with the side gate would eliminate the feed problem. Anyone heard of doing this?

Boolit Man
    I building one around an 1891 Argentine Mauser. I will document the build in special projects when I am done.

I have been shooting cast in a stainless contender for the last 10 years...........every thing from 311316, lee
    tumble lube 90 gr to ranch dog 175 Fp............buckshot, 31141 and 3118......shoots them all great and this is the ultimate woods walker rifle, super light, extremely accurate and if need be shoots 180 gr Hornady really well and is serious about blowing holes in stuff...............

Boolit Master
    Excuse me Mr Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post
    I built one up on a # 1 mk 3 enfeild just for grins. Had to add new feed lips to the mag to get it to feed but the bolt face and extractor work just fine with 30-30 as is. It's a fun little gun. It was a lamp when I bought it at a garage sale for 20$. The rifle had been bubbaed long ago then the chamber drilled to pass the cord. now it's a dedicated cast bullet gun and damn fast too.
    Now that sounds like a cool gun. Lee Enfieds rock.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Now a High Wall would be cool too.
    As would a Remington Rolling Block. ColSanders the 91 is much anticipated.

Boolit Master
    I have a Commercial 98 Mauser a gunsmith in the Boise area named W.F. Vickery built in the late 1930's or early 1940's. It is a variation of the 219 Donaldson Wasp. Vickery took 30-30 cases, turned the rims down to .473" and got them to feed. The rifle has DST's, and is a repeater. It came to me with an old Bausch & Lomb Balvar 6-24X external adjustment scope. Sadly, it came with a tong tool. I wish I knew how he formed the brass. It still shoots, Berger 55gr bullets group under an inch at 200, pushing 3600fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    I have a Commercial 98 Mauser a gunsmith in the Boise area named W.F. Vickery built in the late 1930's or early 1940's. It is a variation of the 219 Donaldson Wasp. Vickery took 30-30 cases, turned the rims down to .473" and got them to feed. The rifle has DST's, and is a repeater. It came to me with an old Bausch & Lomb Balvar 6-24X external adjustment scope. Sadly, it came with a tong tool. I wish I knew how he formed the brass. It still shoots, Berger 55gr bullets group under an inch at 200, pushing 3600fps.
    In the same vein, could not the same thing be done by starting with .30 Remington brass? Dunno, just asking. At the same time, a .30 Remington in a bolt gun would be virtually the same thing as a .30-30, thus obviating the need to deal with a rimmed case.

The Winchester 54 bolt is virtually the same as an '06 bolt, the main thing they did to get them to feed from the magazine was to re-design the magazine on a slight slant in order to keep the rims stacked ahead of the ones below them.

Boolit Master
    The .30 Remington would work perfectly. There is only one thing to deal with and that is that the rim diameter is 0.422", so the bolt face on the Mauser would need to be modified.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master
    MT. Gianni---- the 7.62 x 39 works fine with the 308 bolt face. Every now and then, I get a failure to extract on one type of ball ammo. I just use it as a single shot, not mag. fed.

rockrat- Sarco has a good deal going on Mauser 93 actions. Mapp55b got a few and they were Oviedos- mine is a good action and has a hinged floor plate ( great for mag loading booboos)