Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good quality, Stormproof and waterproof matches

Good quality, Stormproof and waterproof matches

I dont have any experience with stormproof matches, or waterproof matches. I seen some at academy sports, and they look okay, but the case they are in looks cheap. It has this strip of sandpaper striker that looks like its cardboard based and wouldnt hold up to being wet.

Suggestions appreciated for matches and waterproof cases.

Thanks.

~Bazoo

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thanks artful. I couldnt watch any right now as the computer im using aint got no sound, but i'll watch them later on the wifes tablet. I broke my laptop last night... dangit. Dropped it and it hit on the corner and busted the screen. Its a Chromebook, and was given to me. Worked real well for castboolit forums and the like.

je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Hold the wooden matches by the heads & dip the matchstick in wax down the stick to close to where the head of the match is being held. Then let them dry. After dried, take the heads & dip the head in nail polish past the head on the stick where the wax did not quite reach when ya held it, so it "lightly coats, & covers to reach the wax, & then let dry.

If ya do it right, ya have a match that once ya scrape it, the nailpolish that protects the head from moisture & it & part of the stick will fire up & then the wax will help it stay going so ya can get the fire going with it. (or a candle, which is what I usually do if I am using just matches.... then use the candle to light the fire.)

I don't use matches often , but this should be an easy way to coat them to help keep them dry.

Give it a try. See how it works for ya.

Problem is many of the "kitchen" matches any more are of the "Safety" match variety and when the person goes to use it - 1) you have to have the scratch pad to get it to work and 2) when the scratch pad gets wet it no longer works.
    je suis charlie

In Remembrance

Amazon sells water proof stike anywhere matches. I bought 10 boxes of 40.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

I've been looking on amazon, and in town, but im afraid to pull the trigger on something I know very little about.

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    Amazon sells water proof stike anywhere matches. I bought 10 boxes of 40.
    Which Brand and Have you tested them?
    je suis charlie

Try this. I get them here and you can pop them with your thumb nail.

http://www.murdochs.com/shop/diamond...hes-300-count/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

That link you sent artful was great. That guy tested the UCO matches pretty good. I might get me some of those, and find a better quality container for them with a knurled spot to strike them on. I'll check out the academy sports next chance I get.

Minerat, i have used those before, and I didnt really care for them. I only got the occasional one to strike on with my thumbnail. I was just messing around to see if I could do it, not that I am relying on that as a prominent feature.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Which Brand and Have you tested them?
    Brand is UCO and they work very well. I ordered them for my Hunter Ed classes.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Grand Master

I have the UCO brand. Both the strike anywhere and the stormproof. You need a striker for the stormproof but once lit they aren't going out easily. I have a sealed container of them in every vehicle and pack I own.

The strike anywhere are the best you're going to get these days. If the surface is rough they light no problem. They can be lit off a pair of jeans but it takes me multiple tries. Nothing comes close to the old ones. Seeing as how there are rough surfaces all over the world they will do.

Boolit Bub
    UCO is getting out of the strike anywhere match, at least in the US. Regulations regulate the amount that can be shipped at one time and the method of delivery, resulting in a grossly high priced match. I emailed UCO a few months ago and learned this directly from them.

If you have access to road flares the striker has a high concentration of red phosphorus and will work well as a striking surface for your safety matches. Use your imagination if you really want strike anywhere matches. Just be careful!

I put together packets of several wax dipped matches with dry cotton and newspaper wrapped up and then fold wax paper over the bundle and seal it with melted wax. JBinMN has a good idea in that I will probably add a couple birthday candles to the next batch of packets I make up.

Boolit Buddy

Get the strike anywhere wooden matches. We used to call them Farmers matches. These are the ones that have the white tips that can be ignited by a thumbnail. Just about any store sells them. Dip them in wax. Made them as a cub scout 55 years ago for camping and continue to do the same today for hunting and fishing.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Quote Originally Posted by flyingrhino View Post
    Get the strike anywhere wooden matches. We used to call them Farmers matches. These are the ones that have the white tips that can be ignited by a thumbnail. Just about any store sells them. Dip them in wax. Made them as a cub scout 55 years ago for camping and continue to do the same today for hunting and fishing.
    Maybe true in South Carolina but other stores out in Arizona no longer stock the white tipped red strike anywhere. Found some of the white tip with green at ACE but the wood is substandard - but I remember doing the wax dip like you, that did work well.
    je suis charlie

Bought a package of those Uco white tips today. Well it hit my Amazon cart. SS clears in 5 days. Just seemed like a good idea.

I really miss the good ol Ohio blue's. Those worked.

Boolit Bub
    Roger the Ohio Blue Tips. Dang the meddlesome federal regulators.

I got some of the UCO stormproof matches from academy sports for about 6 bucks. 25 small ones in a plastic container. I aint tried them out yet though. I forgot all bout them.

I did try out the UCO matches. I lit one, in 10+ mile wind, It didnt go out, I then submerged it in water to extinguish it, and when removed from the water, relit on its on! It probably burns about 10 seconds. The bigger ones would burn longer, and be better I think, but they are more expensive also. These ones are pretty cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast