RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Air rifle pellets/First post

Boolit Mold

Air rifle pellets/First post

Hello first post here.
    I found this place via searching (Swaging for .172cal bullets) , I would like to get into Swaging my own for my 17 Hornet.
    I also have wondered if i could use 177 Air rifle pellets for the lead. I was looking at A .172 bullet around 20grn to 21grain as i can/have 177 pellets that weigh 16 grains and i f im right the .22 case are about 6 grains ?.

Any help would be much appreciated , I dont have any dies as yet but was thinking of using my Rockchucker to do the swaging.

Thanks CZ527V

I would sort my pellets for roundness and minor dings and dents and use those for cores. Might be cheaper to just buy soft lead here in Swappin and Sellin section and use that. Also in VS section, see BT Sniper. He makes those small dies you seek for reloading presses. The .22 long rifle cases, depending upon head stamp, weigh anywhere from 6 to 10 grains each. You will also need a de-rimming die and a draw die to draw said cases down from.22 to.17. AGAIN---check out BT SNIPER here in VS section.

Boolit Mold
    Many thanks but i will have to source lead here as i am in England , i have been intouch with Larry Blackmon discussing his dies and Rockchucker modification , but the more help i can get the better.
    Thank you Mark

Use the SEARCH function at the top of the page for references on where to find lead. Should be as many opportunities there as there are here.

You will find that the pellets will make for a hard selection. Common (here in the USA anyhow) pellets are not pure lead they are fairly hard and not suitable for swaging. The biggest problem though will be the size, you'll need to draw them down first to fit the core swage die to get the weight you need, or if you plan to use them as is you'll need to draw them down to fit the jacket. The core swaging die will not accept anything much larger than 0.130" to 0.135" depending on what size core you plan to use.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Mold
    Ah right many thanks for that , Am i right in need .125 lead core for the 17cal sure ive read this somewhere.?

Yes, 0.125" lead wire is the common size for the .17 cal core swage die
    0.130-0.135 is the finished core size; It really depends on what the ID of your jackets are and what the core swage die spits out. So long as your cores fit the jacket all the way to the bottom without being too small you'll be good.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

With all the old lead roofing over there, it should be easy to source a bit of lead.

Boolit Mold
    Eye there is a good bit of lead flashing , I have a good bit holding my shed down in these strong winds we have just had lol.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    Yes, 0.125" lead wire is the common size for the .17 cal core swage die
    0.130-0.135 is the finished core size; It really depends on what the ID of your jackets are and what the core swage die spits out. So long as your cores fit the jacket all the way to the bottom without being too small you'll be good.
    Many thanks i have sourced some .125 lead wire and i was told its 99.97% pure will that be ok.

Yes, 99.97% pure is fine. Some like up to 2% Antimony in the mix.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Mr reed

Boolit Buddy
    Have you come up with a method of trimming your jackets to length after you have drawn them to 17? I too have a set of Larrys dies to build 172 projectiles for my 17HH.
    A 22 LR case is very long once drawn to 17. Please take this into account in your costings in $ and time. That said it is great building your own 17 projectiles. They work a treat and as accurate as anything on the market.

Bill
    Last edited by Bills Shed; 06-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Boolit Mold
    As yet not
    Im still looking at dies .