Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCI large pistol primers

Boolit Master

I have used CCI primers exclusively, never had a problem that wasn't "MY" fault. ALL of my brass goes through the Dillon Super Swager before the primer box is even opened. NEVER had a problem so far, and I've been loading since the 60's
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    My primer pocket uniformer only deepens pockets. It does not change pocket diameter. It could still be the brass.poacherjo says it's worse with Federal brass. I might suggest measuring a few of the Federal cases that are hard to prime. Leo
    I've noticed some of my Federal brass seems to have a sharper "shoulder" than some other brass, making it more difficult to start primers.
    I use a primer pocket cutter that relieves the pocket shoulder, making it easier to start the primer. Same idea as flaring the case mouth to help start a boolit.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the OP did state that he used a pocket uniformer. I thought that all of them cut the pockets to a uniform size (hence the name....pocket uniformer).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    You wouldn't be trying to load S&B brass would you? I quit using it because of undersized primer pockets. james
    Due to tight pockets, ALL S & B brass goes in the scrap brass bin at my house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poacherjo View Post
    I have a problem with these primers not fitting in the pocket about 5 per cent non fit. I took my primer pocket uniform tool and went through the brass and they still won't go in. It's got to be the OD of the primer not being consistent . I am using a dillon 550B to set the primers in 45 ACP. This batch of primers is 20 years old! Was there a problem with CCI that I don't know about?
    I just used up a small batch of large pistol primers from the same era. My RCBS hand priming tool did not survive. I sent the tool and the primer sleeves with lot numbers to RCBS for repair.

I have been having good results with Winchester WLP in the last several years. Primer trouble must go in cycles.

S&B brass are notorious for having tight primer pockets, I have gone through all of mine with my primer pocket uniformer, and then beveled the entrance with my RCBS deburring tool. Then they work perfectly, even with CCI primers. I also have been using CCI LP primers for decades, no problems seating them in any other brass than S&B.
    Make sure your 550's priming system is setup properly, being just slightly off can cause you all sorts of problems.

Boolit Master
    I treat S&B brass just like crimped brass and run it through my RCBS swagger, then it never is a problem.

I deprime all my brass before wet tumbling this really helps the 550 priming system to run with out any problems.

Because I hand prime, 9/10 times I can just rotate the S&B brass until I hit a spot where the primer will seat. I've only had a few S&B's that refused to take a primer. If I were priming on the press I'd sort the S&B's out for sure. Big pain.

Boolit Master

I am using a dillon 550B to set the primers in 45 ACP. This batch of primers is 20 years old! Was there a problem with CCI that I don't know about?
    CCI primers that old are not the same as new ones. As I pointed out in a previous post the new ones (dark blue-black packaging) load easily in my 550 and 650. The old ones are very cantankerous in the Dillons but load OK in a single stage press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    I use a variety of brands with no issue - except with a small primer .45 neaks in to the pile or cheap brass as mentioned before.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    CCI primers that old are not the same as new ones. As I pointed out in a previous post the new ones (dark blue-black packaging) load easily in my 550 and 650. The old ones are very cantankerous in the Dillons but load OK in a single stage press.
    It's not the primers, it's the brass. I have old and new cci primers. It's the s&b brass that causes all my issues. Same issues with winchester and federal primers in s&b brass.

Good Read @Bookworm !! I am going to try and hand prime the rest. It seems more of a problem with the Federal brass. I didn't want to go through each piece and Mic it , I thought maybe others had the same problem. After I noticed the frequency of the nonfit I took out the uniforming tool and set the depth at.120 and I got quite a few shavings out of 250 cases. But after reaming them I thought it was fixed so it has to be a variance with the primers. I have 700 more of these old primers to use up. I ran 100 federal primers without any problem!!!!
    As noted, the uniforming tool doesn't affect pocket dia but depth. Federal cases, do they say NT on them? There are small primer & large primer cases. Nothing wrong with the primers, it is likely you have the bastard small primed cases.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    The only times I've had problems with high primers in domestic brass it's been with CCI.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I use CCI almost exclusively and problems are rare. When I do have a primer that doesn't fit it's almost always the brass.

Same here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    It's not the primers, it's the brass. I have old and new cci primers. It's the s&b brass that causes all my issues. Same issues with winchester and federal primers in s&b brass.

Yep, it's pretty bad. I also saw Amerc mentioned and have to agree, it's worse than S&B.

I have two sets of primer pocket reamers (not uniformers), Lyman and Hornady. I can't tell that the Lyman does much but the Hornady is ground tool steel and does a great job. I highly recommend the Hornady to anyone with primer pocket issues. As they remove the crimp ring they also chamfer the primer pocket so primers enter smoothly.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I use the LE Wilson primer pocket reamer and it chamfer's the crimp ring of the primer pocket that have been crimped.
    I use mostly WLP primers and have used CCI which did not run as smoothly as the WLP.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I use CCI almost exclusively and problems are rare. When I do have a primer that doesn't fit it's almost always the brass.
    Ditto. Is the problem with a particular headstamp?

Boolit Buddy

I mostly use CCI but sometimes I have to buy Winchester primers and it seams like they are too soft , I never crush a CCI but I have a lot with Winchester.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com