Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 198gr cast in M1

Boolit Bub

198gr cast in M1

A few years ago, I was part of a group buy for a 198gr 3 cavity mold, for 30 cal. I'd have to go get the mold for more info, but I thought I printed out some information for loading this bullet, with a gas check, for the M1. 32gr of IMR 4895 comes to mind, but I can't find the sheet to verify.

Anyone have anything I could follow up on, or actual data?

Boolit Bub
    Found the thread, its the NOE 311365.

Boolit Master

I use similar weight and design bullets (311334 and 311299) in the M1 Garand. My best loads usually run about 1,850 fps. Start with 33 grains of 4895 and work up. 36 grains is usually a good compromise between reliability and accuracy, but your rifle will let you know what charge it likes best.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Like Scharf said, get your M1 to cycle with reliability and you should be there. Any more powder will produce fliers. Let us know how it works. I have had much success with the 314198 in 303, it is a good boolit!.
    Be well
    Last edited by leebuilder; 05-08-2017 at 05:38 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

I've tinkered with cast in one of my garands. My first outing was great until I get home and had to scrape lead out of the gas cylinder. I realized 2 things. First I'd used a commercial cast boolit that was hard as a rock with lube that was the same. I also decided the diameter of .311 was just too big despite a "rack grade" barrel as I'd slugged it at .309.

My next try was a COWW 311299 that I cast, lube with TAC-X, I live in TX and it's hot, and then tumble lubed with the 50/50 minwax/Lee lube. I sized to .3095ish and had much reduced leading to the point of a bit at the end of the barrel after about 48 rounds. I'd settled on 34 grains with about .7-.8 gr batting filler. My next adventure was to PC the same boolit. I've loaded some but haven't shot any. My hope I that the leading issue will be completely gone but PCing a tall, skinny rifle boolit is a PITA.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I use similar weight and design bullets (311334 and 311299) in the M1 Garand. My best loads usually run about 1,850 fps. Start with 33 grains of 4895 and work up. 36 grains is usually a good compromise between reliability and accuracy, but your rifle will let you know what charge it likes best.
    Do you use any batting filler or simply tip your rifle between shots to set the powder back against the flash hole?
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Master

I don't, but some very good shooters and reloaders do. Personal preference I guess. Larry Gibson has a very good thread on fillers for cast bullets. A search should find it.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Bub
    I notice you don't say a thing about gas checks. At modern rifle velocities, they are a must to reduce leading.

This is my thread several years ago. I still use that load and have loaded thousands of rounds. Now I use a NOE 311299 5 cav for production

castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?292123-M1-Garand-Kills-again

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    I notice you don't say a thing about gas checks. At modern rifle velocities, they are a must to reduce leading.
    If you're referring to my post above, yes I did use gas checks.