MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Carry pistol triggers: Your preference?

Question Carry pistol triggers: Your preference?

List your preference for carry pistol triggers! Feel free to include the triggers you shoot best with, but please specify if you carry the gun or reserve it for the range.
    Add details as you see fit!

DA/SA,DAO,SAO,Striker:
    Weight range:
    Rolling break or Crisp:
    Pistol round count:
    How long have you carried that style of trigger?
    If you switch up carry guns, is the trigger different? Does the difference catch you off guard sometimes when the shot breaks?
    Has your carry gun trigger preference changed over time?

I'll start it off:

DA/SA,DAO,SAO,Striker: striker
    Weight range: 8-9lbs average
    Rolling break or Crisp: Crisp
    Pistol round count: Probably just north of 15,000
    How long have you carried that style of trigger?:
    Used to carry Glock (-) and NY1 spring for 1.5 years for the rolling break, Before that shooting the stock glock connector for 5-6 years. Recently switched to Glock (+) connector (8 lbs) with standard spring, and I have found the best combination there.
    If you switch up carry guns, is the trigger different? Does the difference catch you off guard sometimes when the shot breaks?
    SW 442 PC as necessary by attire, the trigger is a rolling break and about 10 lbs. Not a huge fan of how far back the shot breaks, but doable with focus.
    Has your carry gun trigger preference changed over time? I began to prefer a heavier trigger with a rolling break after years of shooting with the stock trigger, but for fast accurate shooting found the rolling break lacking. I never liked light triggers, especially the 2-3 lb range. I found I shoot more accurately with a heavier trigger, and faster with a crisp trigger over a rolling break.

Very interested to see what the cast boolit shooting community prefers!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master

What my Ruger 1911 and Sig P938 came with
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Ive carried them all! Settled on a Ruger LCR DAO for pocket carry, but after a string of AD's in the area the misses made me buy a holster for it. Glad she did, I like it better.
    Carried a Hungarian Hi-Power clone in the early 90's, it was cheap and it showed, I just didn't trust the safety on that gun, it was too stiff and didn't seem to lock right IMO. Turned me off of single actions for a long while.
    Went to buy a Ruger SP101 in 9mm and my girlfriend then (wife now) said "Why don't you just buy the Glock you want?" She paid half for my Christmas present and I went home with a Glock 19! Loved the gun, but I wasn't terribly accurate with it and I got disillusioned with the 9mm.
    Had a Rossi .38 double action I carried for a bit, but the grip was too big and the hammer kept snagging. And, I really wanted .357mag to be honest!
    Now days it's the LCR in a pocket or a Delta Elite in a "King tuck" IWB. I'm honestly liking carrying the 1911 better, just because of the holster, I almost forget it's there!
    So in a nutshell, as long as it's decent iron, I'll carry about anything but a mouse gun.

Pretty simple, if I pull the trigger I expect it to go bang.

Vendor Sponsor

I carry a Kahr CW45, buttery smooth DA only trigger and no stored energy in the striker so quite safe with one in the pipe.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    List your preference for carry pistol triggers! Feel free to include the triggers you shoot best with, but please specify if you carry the gun or reserve it for the range.

DA/SA,DAO,SAO,Striker: Prefer Glock style striker but single action with thumb safety or traditional double/single action revolver is ok too.

Weight range: About 5 pounds is right. I don't shoot a light trigger well due to neurological issues.

Rolling break or Crisp: Either way is fine as long as it is consistent and predictable.

Pistol round count: My most often carried pistol is my Glock 42. I would guess it has around 2000 rounds through it. Second most carried would be my S&W 637, it has maybe 1000 rounds.

How long have you carried that style of trigger? Been carrying Glocks since Summer 2014, been shooting and carrying double action revolvers for about 15 years.

If you switch up carry guns, is the trigger different? Does the difference catch you off guard sometimes when the shot breaks? It doesn't so much catch me off guard as much as I can tell quickly which one I need to practice more with. A couple of days ago, I was making ragged holes with the 42. Switched to the 637 and was all over the place double action, single action was ok.

Has your carry gun trigger preference changed over time? Yes! My first CCW guns were Kel-Tec and Kahr, small DAO autoloaders. They were, and are very good pistols but the 42 spoiled me so much I lost interest in them. I'm a huge fan of the .38 Special round and S&W wheelguns so naturally I had to get a 637. I just added a Charter Undercover to the mix and am planning to get a Tiffany blue 42 for the wifey.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrato View Post

DA/SA,DAO,SAO,Striker:
    Weight range:
    Rolling break or Crisp:
    Pistol round count:
    How long have you carried that style of trigger?
    Has your carry gun trigger preference changed over time?

I have owned and shot many different pistols. I shoot at least twice a week. I'll tell you I don't like the H&K, Beretta double action triggers. I liked the M&P and XD/XDM triggers but I preferred the Glock, Generation 4.

I also shoot Magnums, as well as reload them. I have strong hands and fingers so double action revolver triggers do not bother me, though I find H&K and Beretta to be gritty feeling.

I have carried numerous guns for EDC at one time or another: Glock 23/37/30/36/42, S&W 442/640/627/586 L-Comp, 1911s, Sig P238/220.

I preferred single action only for a while doing 1911s condition one. Then I switched most recently to the 640/442 combination. As of late, I've carried two guns, the Glock 19 MOS with an Overwatch Precision Trigger and trigger bar, Ghost triggers connector, and RMR Dual Illumination, as well as my backup, S&W 640 357 Magnum:

Weight range: Doesn't matter
    Crisp
    Round count: 15 9mm and 5 357 Magnum
    Duration of carry: 5 months
    Triggers are markedly different.
    Has my trigger preference changed? No

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

WILL NOT roll with a DA/SA auto out of choice.

Other than that, not fussy about it at all, so long as it doesn't feel like 150 yards of gravel road (75 or less is ok). I have to shoot a lot of different guns passably well by trade, so by necessity, the technique has become a matter of treating EVERYTHING like it's DAO - constantly correcting the sights while smoothly increasing pull through whatever press the gun gives you. Eventually, the shot's gonna break. If it goes at 3# or 12#, it really doesn't matter much, so long as the sights are in the proper zip code when it does.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by zubrato View Post
    Used to carry Glock (-) and NY1 spring for 1.5 years for the rolling break, Before that shooting the stock glock connector for 5-6 years. Recently switched to Glock (+) connector (8 lbs) with standard spring, and I have found the best combination there.
    I carries a stock Glock since the 10mm was introduced. Wore out a S&W 1066 and hated my 659 before that. Since I am no longer under departmental rules I switched several connector combinations and tried what you did. Went to a Ghost Rocket with the rest of the stock components and loved it. In a competition pistol I tried the Ghost Evo and while it was smoother I preferred the Rocket.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You guys are all over thinking this...

DAO trigger stroke which feels like the REVOLVER I carried for 30 years, grasp, draw, present, extend-point, trigger stroke BANG~!

Any questions?
    Attachment 194703
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Just as long as my weapon has one, I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Can shoot just about anything, 1911 i prefer in the 4.0 - 4.25 with a rolling break 6k, g19 pretty much stock with a little lighter striker spring and a smooth trigger face and revolvers factory maybe alittle lighter trigger return spring but smooth da with a smooth narrow trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    I will step out of the use of suggested answer format by saying.....either.

If I carry a revolver, then I work with the D/A to return to proficiency with it as I see fit. I currently carry a B6P 9mm pistol, which is DA/SA, and gets carried in SA for use. DA can be used, I just prefer the easier accuracy for myself with SA.

Weight doesn't matter much, and I really do not like a mushy striker trigger....too juch when/if it is going to fire as I pull the trigger.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    Edc = SAO Sig but I am just as comfortable with a sa/da or striker.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree......way to much minutiae about a subject that should be much simpler and free of all the anal retentive nuancing.

If I want someone to rhapsodize to this degree on a topic I'll sit through a poetry reading.

Find what you like. Shoot it well. This isn't a wine tasting session.

Boolit Master
    My S&W 442 has a full Wilson Combat spring pack in it, used the lightest ones in the kit which I think makes it 10 or 11 pounds. I haven't put it on the pull gage.

My M&P 9C has a full Apex kit in it in addition to the gun was tuned by me. The trigger in it is a very short, direct, and crisp 3.5lbs. I have the same trigger set up in my M&P race gun but it breaks at 1.5lbs. I'm very acclimated to this light trigger so the 3.5lb pull in the carry gun is plenty heavy enough and thee 442 is almost a Nagant revolver by comparison. I'm a competitive shooter too so im accustomed to shooting under stress inoculation.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 05-05-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer a DAO, revolver by preference but I have a warm spot in my heart for my 9 mm Kahr. I do not like nor carry single actins for defensive uses, a short light trigger pull when the world turns to **** can be an Un-friend.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm too poor to have developed a discriminating taste among triggers.

To me it's about mastering the weapon you have rather than building/altering it to be perfect. Again, mainly because I don't have the budget to try to build the perfect gun.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master

I prefer a double action revolver and carry one almost daily in preference to the M9 now that I'm retired.

On the other hand, whatever handgun you carry for serious social work, you need to train with it enough that whatever type of trigger, it functions reflexively for you without any second thought.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf