Lee PrecisionMCD ProductsRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Thread: Rebarreling a Marlin 1895?

Boolit Master

Rebarreling a Marlin 1895?

Moderator: If you feel this query will receive better response were it placed in different subforum, please move it.

About 15 years ago - has it really been that long ago? - Grizzly Custom Guns in Columbia Falls, Montana, created a matched pair of stainless steel 1895s for me. At the time I wanted one of the two to use the unfired Marlin 24-inch barrel I acquired from Dave Clements. The cost of swapping the OEM 18.5-inch for my 24-inch barrel was too much for my budget, so I disposed of the barrel. The deal-breaking cost was not swapping barrels. Rather, time involved to bring chamber and headspace to Lew's standard, then to "adjust" barrel threads to match those of receiver (or vice versa?). This was a case where the last ten percent in quality costs as much as the first 90 percent.

Now I'm considering having the less accurate of the pair rebarreled by Remington-Marlin, but I'm a little uneasy.
    - Are current OEM 1895 barrels cut rifled as are mine?

- Will Marlin rebarrel? If they will, has anyone any idea of cost?

- Would I be better off, financially and for quality, to have a gunsmith use the Marlin barrel of his choice?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master

As a rule it's best not to send a custom rifle back to the manufacturer for repairs. They generally want to return it to factory specs if they will work on it at all. Are you re-barreling to change the chambering or to gain accuracy? If accuracy is what you're after have you tried to determine what's wrong with the current barrel?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Contact Ranger Point Precision in Texas! These guys are top notch levergunsmiths.

Boolit Buddy
    "Oh bother" said Pooh as the tripwire clicked.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

I would definitely not send it to Remington for anything. Also, may be worth having the barrel re-crowned first. Might solve all of your accuracy problems.

Boolit Master
    Don't send in custom gun big headache. I would check out McGowen I am going to check into that also.

Boolit Master
    I, too, would like to rebarrel my 1895 .45-70 because its microgroove barrel slugs to .4595, which is not conducive to accuracy. Regrettably, by the time it was chambered, installed, etc, the cost would be nearing $1000. I asked one business that specializes in relining barrels if it was something that could be done with the Marlin, but never even received a response. And I suspect the barrel is too thin to safely drill out and line.

Richard

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I know a top notch smith . He would probably do it with a new bbl even of your supply . He might even be able to fix the problem in the current setup​ .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    I, too, would like to rebarrel my 1895 .45-70 because its microgroove barrel slugs to .4595, which is not conducive to accuracy. Regrettably, by the time it was chambered, installed, etc, the cost would be nearing $1000. I asked one business that specializes in relining barrels if it was something that could be done with the Marlin, but never even received a response. And I suspect the barrel is too thin to safely drill out and line.

Richard
    Have you tried sizing to .461 or beagleing a mold if need be?

Boolit Master
    Yea I shoot two over in my micro groove and it shoots great.

A Remlin 1895 barrel will thread into a Marlin JM receiver but may or may not index properly. I have one LG that has a Remlin GG barrel shortened and threaded for a can. The Remlin barrel has one less turn of thread than a JM barrel. According to a couple of chamber reamers, the steel in the Remlin barrel is softer than the JM barrel. Per a former Marlin employee excess headspace was adjusted by installing different width locking bolt in the frame. Negative headspace is cured with a reamer.

BB

As posted previously, McGowan can fix you up. I could be wrong, and often am, but I believe they barreled the first 7mm STE for Layne Simpson.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Have you tried sizing to .461 or beagleing a mold if need be?
    Just got some unsized CBs from Jon_B that are running .461-.462. I'll assemble a dummy round to make sure the cartridge isn't too fat to chamber. If it works, I'll hand-lube some and see how they group.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    As posted previously, McGowan can fix you up. I could be wrong, and often am, but I believe they barreled the first 7mm STE for Layne Simpson.
    Best, Thomas.
    Thank you. I'll ask McGowan.

Cheers,
    Richard