Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing protection?

Boolit Master

I don't want to shoot at all any more without hearing protection, even .22s, though I do miss going for a walk in the woods on the farm with a .22 rifle and plinking. I don't see a few rounds out doors with a .22 rifle as being damaging.

Due to my years of safety training at work, I wear gloves working in the yard or garden, and ear plug mowing the lawn or running a chainsaw. When shooting larger caliber rifles I've noticed that my ears will ring sometimes with just earmuffs, so I'm getting into the habit of doubling up with plugs too.

I have lost some of my hearing from both shooting without earplugs, and working with machinery. I now normally wear plugs when shooting anything except 22 rifle. I sometimes will shoot a few shots of shotgun or 30-30 without them, but it aint common, and it rings my ears.

Boolit Master

My hearing is very good for my age (mid 40s) but I have been noticing tinnitus more recently. Some days it's worse than others, or maybe I just notice it more.

It funny, sometimes I'll hear a sound when it's quiet in the house, usually a high pitched sound like a beep from a toy or something, and I'll ask my wife "What was that?" I can hear it plain as day, but she can't, at all. It's happened many times. Her hearing is otherwise fine, but certain pitches she can't hear at all.

Boolit Master
    "I don't see a few rounds out doors with a .22 rifle as being damaging."

Neither did a lot of us. it's a subtle thing.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    My hearing is very good for my age (mid 40s) but I have been noticing tinnitus more recently. Some days it's worse than others, or maybe I just notice it more.

It funny, sometimes I'll hear a sound when it's quiet in the house, usually a high pitched sound like a beep from a toy or something, and I'll ask my wife "What was that?" I can hear it plain as day, but she can't, at all. It's happened many times. Her hearing is otherwise fine, but certain pitches she can't hear at all.
    I really don't know how to interpret your post, I don't know if you're serious or not, so here goes. No offense intended. Enjoy it, as a jab at myself.

Yep, my hearing is fine, too. I can hear all kind of clicks, beeps, and ringing all the time. My wife can't hear it at all. Working for 45 years in the wood products industry has really given me good hearing. I'm sure shooting firearms has helped my hearing also.

Boolit Master

That's a good one, no offense taken at all. Actually the noises I hear are real, usually the cat playing with something or a kid sneaking video games in the middle of the night when they're supposed to be sleeping.

In his later years, my grandfather would hear music in his head, just as clear as if it was real. He would repeatedly ask if anyone else could hear the music.

Boolit Master
    Ahhh. Somebody with a sense of humor. If you're ever around the Southern Oregon area, stop in, I'll buy the coffee.

Boolit Master
    Was this perhaps a study of militants in middle eastern countries?

Boolit Master

What part of southern Oregon? That's where I grew up, headed there in a couple weeks to visit family, Coos Bay area.

Boolit Master
    Ashland, 14 miles north of the California border, right on I-5. Ashland is..... ummm..... "different". I usually tell people I live "west of Klamath Falls".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I have a great idea. Why don't we require a 250 dollar stamp and a bunch of paperwork to put a sound suppressor on their firearm?
    Why go up $50 bucks on the tax?

Boolit Master

Oh, yes, Ashland. I know about Ashland. It is a rather unique place in Southern Oregon; very different from where I grew up. I don't get that far south very often. We're headed to the Coos Bay/ Bandon area in a few weeks. The kids have been looking forward to that for months.

Why go up $50 bucks on the tax?
    I had a discussion with a guy a while back, about the proposed "hearing protection act". He was of the opinion that "scary weapons" like silencers and machine guns are way too readily available already. He said that the original intent of the NFA was to make then unattainable by all but the most wealthy because $200 in 1934 was the equivalent, due to inflation, of around $4,000 now.

I replied that statistically these registered NFA weapons are not a crime problem at all, to which he illogically replied that all that proved was that all weapons should be registered. This is a guy that owns a lot of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Oh, yes, Ashland. I know about Ashland. It is a rather unique place in Southern Oregon; very different from where I grew up. I don't get that far south very often. We're headed to the Coos Bay/ Bandon area in a few weeks. The kids have been looking forward to that for months.

I had a discussion with a guy a while back, about the proposed "hearing protection act". He was of the opinion that "scary weapons" like silencers and machine guns are way too readily available already. He said that the original intent of the NFA was to make then unattainable by all but the most wealthy because $200 in 1934 was the equivalent, due to inflation, of around $4,000 now.

I replied that statistically these registered NFA weapons are not a crime problem at all, to which he illogically replied that all that proved was that all weapons should be registered. This is a guy that owns a lot of guns.
    Hey, $200 for one is still out of reach today for some people like me haha !! (The wife would put a hurtin' on me, I imagine hahaha). Seriously though, I think they do help protect hearing as I still worry about shooting my 5.56 with protection on as it does reduce decibels by circa 30 ish but it is so loud that over time I imagine if I shoot enough rounds, it will impact my hearing.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Buddy

I had a military hearing doc once tell me "You are left handed." Ah- nope. He said usually when the high frequencies were worse in one ear than the other the bad ear was on the opposite side that you normally fired a rifle from. Bad right ear = left handed. Told him he was close, right handed, but I shoot left handed. I always use hearing protection at the range, but I shot a lot of doves and quail in my youth without.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have worn hearing protection, either plugs or muffs for many years, at least 45 years whenever shooting.
    Any hearing loss I have from shooting occurred as a teenager...my father never used hearing protection and never discussed it with me.

I may never have shot 10,000 rounds a year but I did shoot somewhere around 6,000 per year for several years when I shot handguns competitively. However, I was probably exposed to 10 times that many rounds fired in matches and practice. If I hadn't worn hearing protection I would probably be as deaf as a fence post by this point in time.

I have lectured my son since the first time I took him to the gun club to always wear hearing protection. He is now 23, fires thousands of rounds per year recreationally and always wears hearing protection(electronic muffs) when shooting although he doesn't wear them when hunting.

I urge everybody to wear hearing protection whenever shooting, hearing loss is preventable.

Moderator Emeritus

Eh??? What did you say??? ..... Oh yeah! Wish I'd discovered hearing protection MUCH earlier than I did, and used it MUCH more and much earlier than I did. I now have that constant ringing in my ears the docs call "tinnitus." And it's not terrible, but I also have a "hole" in the frequency ranges I hear. Certain frequencies might as well not exist at all as far as my ears are concerned.

So use hearing protection (I now use both plugs AND muffs) or wind up like me ... or worse. That old saying, "Too soon old, too late smart" is NOT something you ever want to hear applied to you, and the things you did in your younger days! And it's particularly crucial for the young, too, so make SURE they have and USE hearing and eye protection EVERY time they shoot. No exceptions, except maybe in the field after game. I got some muffs and glasses in a pkg. from Midsouth Shooters when my grandboys were wanting to learn to shoot. I wish Dad had known to do that when I was young, but as a Marine, the most he ever did was stuff two cigarette filters in his ears, and usually didn't even do that.

If you think you don't need ear protection, try listening to total, absolute silence some time. I think it'll change your mind.

Boolit Master
    I use plugs and muffs on indoor ranges have a moderator/silencer on my 1022 ,but rabbit shooting outdoors I rely on the moderator .I think I've done more damage to my ears riding motorbikes for 40 + years as my sole means of transport .ear plugs effected my balance on a bike.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot a lot of USPSA so I average 20-30,000 rounds a year. I'd be deaf if I didn't plug up. Heck, I wear muffs when I use the leaf blower.

My story is, started hunting mid '60's. Mostly rabbits and squirrels with a 22 or 410. Never heard of HP. joined the USAR in 1970, hound out quick what ear plugs were and what happens when you don't use them. After one time when the Drill Sargent corrects your misbehavior you don't want a second time. Was in a USAR unit that had 105's Arty. and ended up the small arms instructor for the bn. While on my range and around the tubes, ear plugs were mandatory. A lot of civy jobs they were too. Ended up on the ARCOM's completive arms team. Once again HP was mandatory. Had good hearing going into the USAR, not too good when retired but still not deaf. Do some hunting with a 22 with out hp but most shooting I have to wear muffs at least. My wife says I have some hearing loss but I can't tell.

Rob