RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 800 pound block of lead by smelting pot ?

Boolit Master

Making a pot from pipe doesn't work as well as it might sound. I have a pot that I had made from 12" diameter steel pipe. It is about 12" deep and dipping out to make ingots still leaves approx 1.5" to 2" of lead in the bottom. That will not come out. Just has to stay there until next time. If I had it to do over I would use an old propane tank.

Put that big chunk in a large pan and melt it with a torch.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    What are the dimensions of these blocks? Any of the suggestions (ie chainsaw) mentioned will work.

I think I,m going 2 try 2 spit the blocks apart with a few wood spitting wedge.s and sledge hammer should b lot of fun lol

I built a range scrap melter by cutting a 100 lb. propane tank in half, turning it upside down and welding 3 legs on it so it would sit 8-10" off the ground. I then removed the valve and threaded in a 90 degree street el to a 12" nipple. you can put the big chunk in there and build a bonfire around the "kettle". I use a ten quart stainless pan from Goodwill. It's about 12-13" dia. 3" of lead in it equals about 50 Lbs. Have 3 or 4 of them and just rotate them as it melts down. The first pan should be hard enough to flip out by the time you need it. Just have a big stack of firewood to keep the melt going until you are done. I like storing them in the 50lb. rounds until I need them. They stack way easier than a whole flock of muffin tin blocks. I use a cutting torch and coleman stove when they need to get to muffin tin size. Biggest problem is if you are going to try and lift it into a pot in one shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The pot will be the easy part. The stand to support the pot with that much weight and heat will be the real chore.
    Yes, both stand and vessel need to be strong. I don't see a strong likelihood of accident with something that will support the cold block. But you don't need a lot of likelihood when it is a lot of accident.

I think it could be cut up with an oxy-acetylene torch. Besides its melting point, lead is a much poorer conductor of heat than steel, which makes it easy to cut. Keep it on something like a slightly trough-shaped steel sheet sloping downwards to some kind of vessel. (With that weight it is easier done than keeping that sheet flat.) If I am wrong about the cutting, you could just go on catching the drips until it is all gone. If oxy-acetylene is too expensive, switch to the largest kind of propane torch and put a piece of corrugated iron on top to reduce heat loss.

The chainsaw shouldn't be bad either. The weight and lack of elasticity should keep chips from flying far.

I have heard to use your dull chainsaw blades for lead, apparently they work alright with lead, just add oil to the cut to keep it lubed
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

just an update the chainsaw worked the best but it was messy lol

Boolit Master
    good deal.kinda made the boys hurt thinkin about 800lb chunks.how did the saw fair thru the ordeal?Just wondering in case I ever come across a big chunk.do not realy want to ruin my good saw.i guess one could geta cheep one to cut up lead if need be.and let us know how much you realy have ones you get it all in ingots.still feel the need for a bit if IB for the back after melting all that.

worked ok but really messy had a buddy stand behind me with a big piece of cardboard to knock down all the chips I prob got bout 100 pounds of chips from cutting up the 2 x 800 pound blocks

Boolit Buddy

Wish you had made a video.. It would have been interesting and instructional.. Maybe next time.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

other than dealing with the metal clips and sorting . I,ll take wheel weight lead any day over the stress and work of cutting these up lol

Boolit Buddy
    I had some chunks from a sail boat keel, chainsaw was used to knock it into man-handlable sized chunks, a splitting wedge to score across worked to get into peices small enough for my smelting pan. Works fine.

Btw the chainsaw makes a big darn mess!

Boolit Master
    22" pipe is too light and will collapse of it's own weight if laid on it's side (will become egg shaped). What you want is .375" or possibly .406" sheet steel and have it rolled for the size 2 to 1 elliptical head you want. Probably about 12" width section rolled to fit a 24 " head would give you a nice pot.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 04-10-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    22" pipe is too light and will collapse of it's own weight if laid on it's side (will become egg shaped). What you want is .375" or possibly .406" sheet steel and have it rolled for the size 2 to 1 elliptical head you want. Probably about 12" width section rolled to fit a 24 " head would give you a nice pot.
    It all depends on what schedule of pipe you get. If it is a piece of sch 10 or something maybe but a schedule 40 or 80 pipe would be plenty strong.

Boolit Mold
    You've got 1600lbs of lead. Thats practically a lifetime supply for most of us. I don't figure you'll have to go back to sorting wheel weights anytime soon.

Boolit Master

I'm sorry fellows, every time I think about having to work with a 800 lb. chunk of lead, a 900 lb. gorilla pops into my mind. I just can't imagine working with that much weight of lead at one sitting. james

yes I was beat just cutting them up into smaller blocks that weigh 100 to 150 pounds in a few days I start smelting them down into ingots yea me lol

I wouldn't care how hard it was or how long it took, if I found an 800lb block of lead, not to mention to, I would have to change my drawers! sign me up!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    Pictures!!!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Right! "Pics or it didn't happen"