Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which .45 ACP boolit

I really like the Lee truncated cone 230grn and their 200grn tumble lube SWC. A properly tuned 1911 should feed either.

I'm mostly going back to tumble lube for pistols, and sold my TL version of the 230-TC years back... dangit. At least they aren't expensive.

Regards,

Josh

So... I ordered a Lee 2 cavity SWC, found a Lyman carbide 4 die set on GunBroker for 21 bucks, I've got plenty of brass (but I don't remember why)...
    And now here I sit, twiddling my thumbs and waiting... which always sucks.

Boolit Master

I've got several hungry .45 ACP mouths to feed. It's my favorite centerfire pistol caliber.

Lyman 452460 200 gr
    RCBS .45-201-SWC
    Lyman 452488

I'd like to try the Lyman 452460 165gr, 452489 and 452630. NOE also has a couple I'd like to try.

I use WST 4.4-4.6 gr with any of the first three boolits. I did pick up the NOE TL452-230 mold in the RG2 and I doubt I'll ever use it to not cast the hollow points. I've got a bunch cast, powder coated 50 of them in a high gloss black and they are sexy as can be, I've got a bunch more ready to go with Hi-Tek Kryptonite Green.

I'll get those to the range next week and see how they shoot. If they shoot well the NOE hollow point will probably become my new carry load, albeit with a bit higher powder charge.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Vendor Sponsor

I'll throw my .02 in here as I recently started casting for .45 ACP. I got a 4 cav. Lyman 452374 which has been around for a long time and is a proven performer.

I also Powder Coat those boolits so I don't have to mess with lubing etc. Cast, PC, Size, load, shoot.

This is a standard 230 gr Round Nosed boolit, which has been a standby for probably 60-80 years. it works perfectly in my Glock 21 SF.

Randy

I load it with 5.7 gr of W231
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    You will not go wrong with the Lyman 452374 for accuracy and reliability. For a 200 gr. the Accurate 45-200E ( a TC design) has proven accurate and absolutely reliable. Lyman's 452630 (HG 68 clone) gives superb accuracy but some weapons choke on any shoulder above the case mouth.

I have had my best luck to date with an RCBS 45-250 RNFP. I know 250g is a bit on the heavy side for 45 acp but I powder coat and use a 230g FMJ starting load as my max backed off 10% and worked up. With CFE Pistol and my FN-FNX tactical.....it's a helluva lot more accurate than I am. Feeds flawlessly too. In fact, I have a PT-145 and it's the only bullet that little turd will cycle 100%.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I've got to say, thay Lyman is a beautiful looking boolit. However, I, like so many others, mainly use the lee 200gr SWC. Its a good little boolit. Feeds well, shoots well, and on top of 4.0 gr BE, its very easy on me and my pistol. For something a little more potent, I go woth the NOE 452-230 Large HP. You'll be able to cast Hollow-Point, Cup,Point, and RFN with this mold, and they all perform well.
    I say we try it... What's the worst that could happen?

Boolit Grand Master
    The H&G 68 clone by LEE is my favorite. Buckshot flycut most of the bevel base off.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Vendor Sponsor

Don't be a bit surprised if your barrel doesn't really have enough freebore, or any at all, to seat your boolits out where you'd like to. If you look down the barrel and it looks like it has rifling that runs right to the end of the chamber, and no throat to speak of, don't fight it, send it and get it throated, they run like a singer sewing machine afterwards, and will easily plunk any boolit that will cycle through the magazine..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Take a look at the MP Mold, 45 Hollow point from them. It will produce from 1 mold, three different boolits. There are round nose with round pins for hollow point, then there are hex pins for hex hollow point, and then turn the pins and make solid point round nose boolits. These molds are brass pieces of pure art. Give them a look.

Boolit Man
    If you are anywhere near Cedar Rapids we could meet and I will give you some of my favorite SWCs ready to load.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B-101ABN View Post
    If you are anywhere near Cedar Rapids we could meet and I will give you some of my favorite SWCs ready to load.
    I'm about 2 hours north of you... up around the Charles City area... I really appreciate the offer, but I won't be down that way this week.
    The mold and reloading dies are to be delivered today according to USPS tracking... but the pistol was just shipped today according to the email.
    I should be able to have brass prepped and a pile of boolits cast this week easily enough... all I've got is a .452 sized die (thought I had a .451 also), but I'll still wait to size them until I can slug the barrel (here's to hopin' .452 is the one I need).
    I expect the pistol to show Thursday... and that's when the top punch should be here.
    Plan on pressin' the trigger some on Saturday.

Boolit Master

I've never used anything but a .452 cast for .45 ACP.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I've never used anything but a .452 cast for .45 ACP.
    Same here with one exception, a Para Ord P14-45 and it wanted .451 to chamber. I no longer have it. Everything else is .452, and Iv'e never needed to slug a bore for a 45ACP. Edit to add that my favorites are the NOE H&G 68 clone, The RCBS 230 RN, and the RCBS 185 SWC.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 04-03-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Boolit Master

The 452374 and the H&G 68 or its Saeco equivalent are my favorites for the 1911. Overall length is often determined by the shape of the magazine. The 452374 matches the inside shape of the mag very well. If a 200 gr SWC is loaded to the oal of a 452374 it won't fit into the magazine because the nose has corners.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

OK... now I have a question, and I didn't see a sticky on it.
    This Lee mold is different than any of the others i have. It has actual alignment pins and what appears to be steel bushings for them to fit into... and deeper, wider, circular vent lines. Obviously Lee has changed their molds since I last bought on.

Is there anything I should know?? Any quirks?? Etc.??

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitespider View Post
    LOL
    I don't have any 6 cavity handles.
    I've only been half heartedly and sporadically been casting over the last handful of years and I recently decided to learn more about it and actually make some good bullets with good loads. Almost all my molds are inherited Lyman or RCBS 1 or 2 cavity molds. I picked up Lee's 6 cavity 200 grain mold for my 1911.

It's like a powder measure. I handloaded for years without one. Once I got one, I couldn't understand how I lived life without one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whitespider View Post
    OK... now I have a question, and I didn't see a sticky on it.
    This Lee mold is different than any of the others i have. It has actual alignment pins and what appears to be steel bushings for them to fit into... and deeper, wider, circular vent lines. Obviously Lee has changed their molds since I last bought on.

Is there anything I should know?? Any quirks?? Etc.??
    You're right, the newer Lee molds have bushings and much better venting.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Clean it well with acetone and a soft old tooth brush. The machining oils go deep into the pores of the metal. My last one I let soak in acetone for a few hours....that got all the oil out.
    If not deep cleaned the machining oil comes out from the heat and spoils the castings.
    Heat cycle the mould two or three times , this sets the pins and drives oil out. Clean with acetone and tooth brush in between the heat cycles .
    Permatex Anti-Seize compound and synthetic 2-cycle oil are great mould lubes.
    The new Lee 2 cavities are much better than the old. Look for left handed sprue plate screw, mine was marked LH.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Look for left handed sprue plate screw, mine was marked LH.
    Gary
    LOL... I wish you would have posted earlier... I darn near twisted that screw head off before I figured that out.

Anyway, I scrubbed the mold with dish soap and hot water, lubed with Anti-Seize and started casting. The rear cavity (the one closest to the handles) gave me fits until I smoked it pretty good. The left hand thread on the sprue plate is nice, never moved. The rear cavity was really temperamental, if I didn't mount the ladle perfectly it would produce a reject every time. I did manage somewhere between 300-400 boolits this evening... that's enough to get me started. I expect the mold to be much better after another session or two. Didn't do the heat cycling, unless setting it aside while I put sprue **** in the pot and let it come back up to temp counts?? Overall, I think this Lee design is far superior to the previous... hands down. This mold, first run, liked running hot... right on the edge of "frosty"... but "frosty" would stick in the mold. I was using an alloy of 10# COWW, 10#SOWW, and 6oz of tin... boolits came in at 200.5 grains (give-or-take a ½ grain).

So now... thinking about the starting load... leaning towards 4.5 grains Bullseye and adjust from there for point-of-impact.
    Anyone have thoughts on that??