RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Regular Pistol primers shortage? (March-'17)

Boolit Master

Small Regular Pistol primers shortage? (March-'17)

Has it just been bad luck for me in the last two weeks? I have traveled quite a few miles in the last couple of weeks & everywhere I have stopped to look, they are out of Small Pistol primers, but have everything else. And in the 4 brands of Win., Rem. CCI, & Fed.. I was lucky today & bought 4 boxes of the Rem.,( which I have never used before) since I could not find any of the other 3 in Small Pistol.

I have looked in SE Minn at the larger stores( like Fleet Farm) & even stopped at a type of Tractor supply in Ashland Wisc. yesterday in my travels to see if any were available with no luck. Everything else well stocked, but no Small Pistol primers...

I don't know the where abouts of many of the small "Ma & Pa' LGS that might have them, so I can't say they are not available at all, but in the bigger stores things are not looking good around here.. Has me worried, anyway.

Anyone else having a similar trouble?
    Last edited by JBinMN; 03-31-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Fixed abbreviations to words for clarification.

All are available here.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

If you have a Cabela's up there, they carry Sellier and Bellot, which work fine and are pretty inexpensive. You can also get them online.

Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes your forced to do the mail order thing. As always the key is a bulk order to spread out the shipping fees. I don't have a local shop that I can source out reloading components, so I don't feel bad about sending money to non local venders. Cabelas actually has Winchester Small Pistol primers on sale right now and you can get $5.00 shipping (plus hazmat).

Boolit Master

Powder Valley has three different SPPs in stock right now.

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I will try to call Cabelas & see tomorrow morning.

I don't buy them online though, the costs with the hazard fee & shipping means a sleeve of 1000 would be like $65.00., when most of the time locally they are $38-42 for that same sleeve. Can't afford that cost right now.

Thanks for the replies though folks! It appears that this might just be a fairly local thing then... I hope it ends soon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Powder Valley has three different SPPs in stock right now.
    I will check these folks out also, but when I see those haz mat fees & the shipping, I choke.

Boolit Buddy
    The willmar runnings had federal and remington for sure maybe cci. The willmar gun show is this weekend you could make a trip out of it.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I will check these folks out also, but when I see those haz mat fees & the shipping, I choke.
    You have to order more than 1K primers and 1lb of powder.

Boolit Master
    Yes. I understand. I have no need for any more dies, molds, brass , etc. right now though. I am just a small time caster & reloader, with just me & the missus with the occasional 2 sons & DIL to shoot with us. I am sitting now with aprox. 800+ small pistol cases to finish & I only have 4-500 primers. Just got the 400 today. Been looking for them for about 10 days in the areas I have been, with no luck.

I am also limited in $$ to afford to buy much in bulk for the future, so I have to get what I can when I can. Thus, the "choking" on those fees.

Thanks though.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 03-31-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    The willmar runnings had federal and remington for sure maybe cci. The willmar gun show is this weekend you could make a trip out of it.
    Just got back from Ashland, Wisc. on a 400 mile roundtrip & am wore out. And.. None to be found where I checked there also. had to leave to early for the last LGS/Range to open for them...
    I do have a buddy going to Superior/Duluth who is going to look for me also, though. He will buy some & save them for the next trip one of us makes...
    Thanks for mentioning the Wilmar show though. Like I said, maybe it is just local to me down here in the lower right corner area.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 03-30-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling & I hope i got it all. Tired. ;)

Boolit Master
    I just ordered 10k from xtreme to see how they work.

Boolit Master

Grafs has CCI on sale for $135.99 for 5000.

Surely a 400 mile trip costs more than the $25 hazmat fee?

Boolit Master
    That trip was to get tires for my sons car at an old friend of mines tire shop. Tires installed for cost rather than full price. The fuel cost was $40. Saved a couple hundred $$ & spent time with a guy I have known for 40+ years & do not see as often as the years pass. Priceless....

I am going to save up to buy some primers & powder in bulk. Apparently that is the better way than searching for what I am looking for. Now I just need to locate some 2400 powder, LOL.

Thanks for the help!

Boolit Master
    Weird. Down in central Iowa SPPs are easy to find. Scheels, Sportmans Warehouse, Mills Fleet Farm all have most brands.

Boolit Master
    Pretty much everything is available around here..... EXEPT FEDERALS!

Drives me crazy. I primarily run Federal primers since most of my ammo is for competition and I have multiple gun that only eat Federal primers. Plus I just prefer them, they are the tippy top for reliable ignition. Nobody else makes anything on par as far as sensitive goes. And I can't get any of the damn things. Neither SPP or SPM. Heck id run the Fed small rifle but I haven't seen them either. Federal doesn't seem interested in supporting handloaders it seems. Wished someone else would step up to the plate and make a competitive product.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Yep can't even order fed small rifle primers . Checked midway , mid south , nanchez .......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Yep can't even order fed small rifle primers . Checked midway , mid south , nanchez .......
    You might have missed this page when searching:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/953...le-primers-205

G'Luck!

Boolit Grand Master
    JB,

At times, I will go in with a bunch of guys from the gun club and/or friends to justify a group buy to spread the cost of shipping and Hazmat fees. One caution, get the money up front if money is tight. I had one guy back out and had to eat his share but it was stuff I was using anyway; so I got more inventory and learned he was a jerk...win/win.
    Don Verna