Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Considering glock 19 few questions

I couldn't wait to try some dummy rounds. Seems to work with as-cast and even as-cast powder coated so it may be a little large still. But, passed plunk test great and seemed to want to cycle by hand. Dies by Dillon (tm)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3700.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I load cast bullets coated with Hi-Tek. Mine drop out approximately .358-359. If I size to .357, my load will not go into full battery and won't plunk test in the barrel. It absolutely won't seat in my case gauge. Even if I size to .356 it will not seat all the way in the case gauge but about 98% will pass in my G26 barrel. You may have better luck. I shot one of the oversized rounds yesterday for a test and it locked up unfired. It was the eighth and final round of some loads that were suspect. I had to use a rubber hammer on the rear of the frame to get the slide loose and the round ejected.
    All my rounds using a .355 plated bullet will pass the case gauge and drop flush.
    On the other hand, I size .357 for my G42 and those rounds will plunk in my barrel and shoot fine.

Yeah on further inspection these did not plunk properly either. The gun went into full battery but must've been under pressure to do so. So maybe if I can get away with .357 lee sizer that will be the sweet spot. In theory that would be a .0015 interference to bore if my measuring was correct. As long as I'm over a mil I'll be happy.

Things coming along nicely. These plunk nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3703.jpg  

Okay I pulled these two boolits and was dismayed to see that they swayed down from .357 to .3555". Sooooo, I guess I need to expand more? Or, maybe due to the softer lead I use, which is made useable by the powder coating, will obturate and seal well immediately?
    These two boolits were fresh from the PC oven and air cooled so it's possible they lost their quench temper. Maybe I should age them for a few weeks and try again to see if I can gain 1/2 mil or so.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Okay I pulled these two boolits and was dismayed to see that they swayed down from .357 to .3555". Sooooo, I guess I need to expand more? Or, maybe due to the softer lead I use, which is made useable by the powder coating, will obturate and seal well immediately?
    These two boolits were fresh from the PC oven and air cooled so it's possible they lost their quench temper. Maybe I should age them for a few weeks and try again to see if I can gain 1/2 mil or so.
    Quick question: I didn't see what tool you were using to crimp. Are you using a Lee FCD? If so, it absolutely will swage your lead boolits down to diameters used by jacketed bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    Quick question: I didn't see what tool you were using to crimp. Are you using a Lee FCD? If so, it absolutely will swage your lead boolits down to diameters used by jacketed bullets.
    never! Lol. I'm sizing, seating and taper crimping with Dillon set. I'm expanding with modified Hornady ptx .357 expander which was stamped .358A (?) and I've cut it to drop deeper and to flare the mouth like a M die. I decided this might be better than my modified .400" ptx die but I may have to revisit that one instead if I need more diameter on the expansion plug.
    Last edited by Drew P; 03-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Okay well I tried seating and pulling an unsized bullet and it came out .359" so I'm not swaying them down too far I was sizing them down too far. Opened up the push through sizer a little and now I'm good I think. Loaded some small lots of hollow points with red dot 3.6-3.8gr and will test them tomorrow. I need to make a dang bullet trap shooting chamber thing for the shop.

Boolit Bub
    My gen4 19 eats .358 sized pc cast from a lee .358 150 2r mold all day long. I do have to seat fairly deep but I use titegroup powder and my 3.0gr charge isn't being compressed. I've got about 2k-2500 through it so far (not all cast) but I've shot about a thousand+ cast through my gen 3 34 without any issues or leading.

I can promise you those are not quench hardened now that you powder coated them.

I personally dislike really soft alloy for 9mm; it does not provide any advantage I can find over standard clip-on ww equivalent. and is generally less accurate in most loads, but especially in Glock barrels. I don't know what you're using, but if it's swaging down that much, I suggest adding a little antimony to the alloy.

Personally I just use a standard Dillon 9mm powder funnel/expander, and never have issues with swaging bullets down too much.

Also re. Glock bore diameters - some are .355", some are .357". My Austrian G19 factory barrel slugged at .357", while my US made G19 barrel is .355", both OEM barrels. My understanding is .357" is more common in Europe, while the smaller bore is standard for us.

My alloy is around 4% antimony I think. Yes my barrel is USA and I believe to be .3555".

So far accuracy seems just okay, more testing needed. No leading whatsoever.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Yea, youth is wasted on young people.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Kids are annoyingly good at things. I quit skiing for largely that reason too haha
    They are good at that because they haven't had any broken bones to tell them that doing certain things *hurts*. When you get older, you realize how much it can hurt, so you're less likely to want to ski faster than you are willing to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    They are good at that because they haven't had any broken bones to tell them that doing certain things *hurts*. When you get older, you realize how much it can hurt, so you're less likely to want to ski faster than you are willing to fall.
    that's why I got one of these this year. Makes me feel old, but it's so worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3302.jpg  

Back on topic, the testing is going well. The flat points with 3gr red dot seem to be a nice training load, a little lethargic but soft shooting and fun.

My mandate to to keep it stock didn't last long. Ordered these i dot sights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3756.jpg  

Banned

19s are great guns. For competition I prefer a 9 for ppc but use a 1911 that's a tad more accurate then my glocks. For plates I like a 45. Just better then any 9 for marginal hits. We don't have enough shooters here to do major and minor power level classes so its shoot what you brung. But for a fun day out plinking or a woods bumbling, or self defense gun a 19 is a great gun. Of all the guns I'm my safe if shtf and I had to get out of here fast id either grab my 19 or my 23. To me there kind of a do it all gun.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456