Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Saeco #424 for Browning B92

Boolit Bub

Saeco #424 for Browning B92

Hi all,
    I've been reading the archives on how difficult it can be to get cast boolits to cycle reliably and be accurate in these guns. I'm looking at a Saeco 424 as it appears to have a short nose to get my OAL downt to about 1.635 ( Ive checked and that OAL will cycle fine) and being a GC design I can push it as hard as i might need to. Maybe get better traction on that 1/38 twist.
    Anyone have any experience with this specific mold and design?

thanks,

Wayne

Banned

not with that mold but with that rifle.
    I can't feed anything that long in mine, and the area above the crimp groove needs to be 429 for smooth chambering.

Boolit Master

I have the Saeco #420 200gr tc which look's like the same nose profile & crimp grove location as the #424 and #428 . loaded in 44 mag cases the COL with the #420 is 1.575 to 1.580 which should be short enough to function in a leaver action rifle.

The Saeco #420 200 gr tc is my favorite & most used 44 cal bullet, for velocities of 800 to 1,300 fps
    I also have the Saeco #944 200gr wc . #441 240 gr swc and the RCBS 240 gr gc sil .
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 03-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Bob,
    great info. If I can get an OAL of 1.610 I'm golden. By the way i just slugged the barrel and i got between .429 and .430 depending on how I held the slug. So Im hopefull with this Browning.
    I have Seaco molds for 45-70, .30, and .45 LC and ACP. I like Seaco but they are pricey.

Boolit Master

My # 420 is a eight cavity that I bought from of GAR, in 1991 , I paid $148.00 for it then and have made 51,091 bullets so far and its still in very good condition. I usually size @.430 but have beageled it to cast .433 for a 44 that has larger than normal cyl throats.
    I have 4 other 8 cavity Saeco moulds, with all five 8 cavity moulds combined ive made about 1/4 million bullets with just them not counting my 20 sum 2,3 ,4 & 6 cavity moulds . no I'm not a commercial bullet caster and only occasionaly sell to good friends, I just love shooting that much .

Saeco moulds were allways more than lyman but IMO well worth it , now they are very expensive haven't bought any Saeco's moulds for over 12 years.
    when I bought my 8 cavity moulds I allways bought popular bullet designes the 8 cavity moulds were about twice the price of 4 cavity moulds at the time and I figured all I had to do was make 2,000 extra bullets per mould & sell them to offset the 8 cavity moulds extra cost ! not much work really as you can make between 1,000 to 1,200 bullets per hr using only 1 mould.

I never liked switching 2 moulds at a time, just to busy ! I like to enjoy myself.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 03-17-2017 at 07:16 AM.