Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee press not giving consistent OAL.

Boolit Buddy
    1 hole, that probably accounts for green presses need to 'cam over', while Lee all have a stop built into the press linkage.

Lee advertised the aluminum alloy they used was 46,000 psi tensile strength. I looked in my Machinery Handbook for cast iron tensile strength and most were less than 30,000psi.

Cast iron is great for machines with fast moving parts and need the mass of metal to dampen any vibrations. World of difference between a Delta or Powermatic table saw and an aluminum table saw you can carry.

But even Lee had to accept the 'Conventional Wisdom' that cast iron is better to make a press out of. Even if it isn't....LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    1 hole, that probably accounts for green presses need to 'cam over', while Lee all have a stop built into the press linkage.

Lee advertised the aluminum alloy they used was 46,000 psi tensile strength. I looked in my Machinery Handbook for cast iron tensile strength and most were less than 30,000psi.

Cast iron is great for machines with fast moving parts and need the mass of metal to dampen any vibrations. World of difference between a Delta or Powermatic table saw and an aluminum table saw you can carry.

But even Lee had to accept the 'Conventional Wisdom' that cast iron is better to make a press out of. Even if it isn't....LOL
    Richard says the Reloader C will full length size 375 H&H Magnum, according to his book, yet I've seen at least three of his little C press snap at the bases over the years on this forum. I spent time with him on the phone in the 80s. Long story short, we don't agree. I have three cast steel presses, one single stage, two turrets. The rest of the single stage presses I own are cast iron. All three progressives I own are aluminum. I don't case form on them. They won't handle it.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 green presses, a Rockchucker Supreme and a Partner, both have tabs on the linkage to prevent a cam over condition. So I don’t understand your statement that they need to cam over.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    My little Lee Reloading Press has processed .30-06 without a problem. It would be nice to have a steel/iron/aluminum handle instead of pot metal, but I've used mine for various tasks since some time in the '80s and it is still working just fine—mostly for depriming and bulge busting.
    I also read about folks sticking cases in their dies, so, obviously, the dies/presses weren't built right.
    If you want to complain about the little Lee press handles breaking in three reports, just look up all the broken Dillon SDB and 550 handles—like I've read about over the years. There are folks who can break a 200# anvil.

Boolit Master
    Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool. I've seen web photos of Rockchuckers with the top strap broken by some clown trying to "cam over" with their dies screwed in too deep; what does that prove?

As I originally said, it would be foolish to assert any light alum alloy press (including the RCBS' Partner) is equal in total strength to a cast iron monster and I'm no fool. What I said is the high strength alum alloy presses are more rigid within their yield strength than cast iron. I challenge anyone who has a sensitive dial indicator and knows how to use it to try it himself and prove me wrong. And I've seen a lot of photos of green Partners with broken bases, all only proving what I said up in the first line.

Case reforming is not a "normal" reloading chore. I've NEVER seen any common reloading manual deal with case reforming. In fact, I doubt if as many as 5% of us will ever reform cases.

I make an assortment of reformed cases from '30-06 and .303, including .22-250 and .44 Mag shotshells, and I do use my RC II for that but I don't think it's a bit better than any other modern iron press, including Lee's Classic Cast.

Considering this thread has denigrated to a Lee equipment appraisal, let's throw more fuel on the fire. This is my opinion and is as valid as any other. People buy Lee equipment because it's less expensive (notice I didn't say cheap) than other brands and is probably "good enough" for them. Fine. But it's like telling me your Harbor Freight tools (I have some) are as good as Snap-on (I have some). They will do the same job, but, they're not the same quality. I've not been to one video site looking to find information on "precision" hand loading techniques and found any Lee equipment being used. Any. Not even the vaulted Lee Classic Cast SS press (I have one). That's one sturdy press for sure and it handles all my "extra" work that I don't want to do on my other SS press. I seldom load ammo on it but I'm sure it would do a "good enough" job. Now, honest answer please, if I was to offer you either my Lee Classic Cast press or my Co-Ax press for free (you'd have to keep them, no selling, just to eliminate the money aspect) which would you take and why. Let er' rip....

Well I already have 2 presses on my bench and there is no more room so I would say Thanks and pass on both. I load on both a Red and a Green and when I put the finished rounds thru the gun I can't tell which press it came off of.

Boolit Master
    It is also a daily occurrence that some fanboy tries to apologize for Lee when he has little experience with other brands.
    Lee makes both good and not so good stuff but many people cannot admit there are some stinkers.
    Example
    Metals have a property property called the endurance limit.
    With steel or cast iron if you stay below that limit the tool can take practically an infinite number of cycles without fatiguing and breaking.
    Aluminum does not have that shape of endurance limit so Lee has to put the stop on the handle to try to prevent over stressing the press. With enough cycles sooner or later the aluminum will break. Lee does not understand this material property. He will keep having this problem until he gets a professional mechanical engineer to design the highly stressed components out of something besides A356 die cast aluminum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S-N_curves.PNG 
Views:	189 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	190497

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Lee 2014-01-20 18.58.39.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	190498

Mostly I blame Lee for not understanding the need to test his products especially the presses so they reach a satisfactory number of cycles in a life span.
    During the design of a new product he should be able to test it to insure a reasonable life before marketing it to the public. That could be done with a test fixture that exercises the press with a hydraulic cylinder for 10,000 or 100,000 cycles - what ever he wants to warrant the press for.

Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    True, but with Lee the first thing most forum peeps will declare is it's the cheap Lee press. No thought given to operator errors, screwed up components like messed up brass, or how the press is installed.

The other presses get that examination of other factors, and ONLY if all other possibilities have been ruled out, then call the mothership in Scottsdale, Oroville, or someplace in Nebraska?

It's almost a daily occurrence around here.
    Last edited by EDG; 03-14-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Now, honest answer please, if I was to offer you either my Lee Classic Cast press or my Co-Ax press for free (you'd have to keep them, no selling, just to eliminate the money aspect) which would you take and why. Let er' rip....
    The Lee. I had a CoAx and sent it down the road. The ergonomics on it absolutely suck for me. I'm one of the people that can afford to buy any press I wanted. I own a bunch of them. The Lee classic cast presses are the ones I use the most.

Boolit Master
    Since you can buy 3 Lee classic cast presses for about the same as one Forster Coax, I'd take the Lee and use the money I save to buy more equipment or more loading components.

Boolit Master
    Didn't read all of the above, but adding a possibility -- lube buildup in your seating die. Sorry it's already been mentioned...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Didn't read all of the above, but adding a possibility -- lube buildup in your seating die. Sorry it's already been mentioned...
    I think that was actually the problem... Ran some rounds with XTP boolits and no issues. Ran some 180gr cast boolits with Alox and started having consistency issues again.

But at least I was able to start a very heated thread over the issue...

Perma-Banned
    Never been a fan of Lee Stuff, i own a few Lee things, but not much. Its RCBS, or Redding for me. (For the most part, you get what you pay for) I have a few Lee push through Sizer Dies, a shell holder or 2, and their little yellow plastic dipper spoons, i had their little hand held priming tool years ago, i used it til i wore it out. I have never seen a Lee product that didn't work? but there are nicer/better quality tools for the job. In my opinion Lee is bottom of the barrel, Harbor freight of Reloading/Casting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The Lee. I had a CoAx and sent it down the road. The ergonomics on it absolutely suck for me. I'm one of the people that can afford to buy any press I wanted. I own a bunch of them. The Lee classic cast presses are the ones I use the most.
    I'm one of "the" people also. Agree that there are some thing's the Co Ax doesn't lend itself to well, hence the Classic Cast press. But IMO (and many others) believe the Co-Ax is the best of the best of single stage presses.

To the OP, lube buildup (good that you found your problem) in seating dies is a very common occurrence/problem when using cast bullets, (especially if using a "tumble lube") also the seating stem sometimes just doesn't fit the bullet we're using. There are some really good ideas around on how to "fix" the stems to fit. We've probably all had these same issues.

As to the "lively" debate, I always enjoy them (poking the lion so to speak) , and sometimes even something of value comes from them . Not often though....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I think that was actually the problem... Ran some rounds with XTP boolits and no issues. Ran some 180gr cast boolits with Alox and started having consistency issues again.

But at least I was able to start a very heated thread over the issue...
    Since it's a lube problem and not a mechanical issue, try what I did: Remove the adjusting screw, chuck it up in a lathe (or a drill press) and put a hole though it. This will let the lube flow thru the nose punch (assuming your punch is already hollow) and out the top. Then you'll know when your die needs cleaning but your OAL won't be all over the place.

Edit [faulty memory strikes again] Drilled the screws and the nose punches. Again, very easy with a lathe, not difficult with a drill press.
    Last edited by JSnover; 03-16-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Since you can buy 3 Lee classic cast presses for about the same as one Forster Coax, I'd take the Lee and use the money I save to buy more equipment or more loading components.
    Wrong answer; it's ALWAYS buy once, cry once, you get what you pay for, and all the other platitudes the clowns with more money than sense spout...the ideal item to buy is the best value. Not the cheapest or most expensive; the best for the money. That's gonna work for 95% of the peeps....so on second thought, yours is the correct answer!

ReDo....
    Last edited by 1bluehorse; 03-17-2017 at 02:42 PM.

As usual in these "discussions" we must insult those who do not agree that Lee equipment is "not to cold, not to hot, but just right" and is the "best value" to buy. Some of us may not agree with that as it depends upon what one may consider "value". I do believe we pretty much will all agree it's about the cheapest equipment to buy though.

And I am not a "clown" with no sense, I'm an old "cowboy",... with no sense.... and definitely WITHOUT enough money...

Red, Green, Blue or Orange. Makes no difference to me what anyone decides to purchase. Also, single stage, turret, progressive or motorized progressive makes no difference to me. You can all argue merits till the cows fall dead.

I'm not brand loyal to any product. I buy what I can afford and what suites me and only me. If anyone doesn't like what I'm buying or using that's just too bad. Don't care, you don't have to use my stuff I do. Is some stuff better than others? Yes I won't argue that point on anything. Do I always need the top of the line, most expensive product? NO.

If someone came to me and told me they wanted to get started in hand loading would I tell them they needed to go out and spend $500.00 on all new reloading tools? No.. I'd tell them to get on the auction sites and start buying good used equipment for as little as they can. Why? Because many new hand loaders give up the practice in a relatively short time for many reasons. Some just because they don't find it as "Cool" as they thought it would be or it's just "too much work".

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Red, Green, Blue or Orange. Makes no difference to me what anyone decides to purchase. Also, single stage, turret, progressive or motorized progressive makes no difference to me. You can all argue merits till the cows fall dead.

I'm not brand loyal to any product. I buy what I can afford and what suites me and only me. If anyone doesn't like what I'm buying or using that's just too bad. Don't care, you don't have to use my stuff I do. Is some stuff better than others? Yes I won't argue that point on anything. Do I always need the top of the line, most expensive product? NO.

If someone came to me and told me they wanted to get started in hand loading would I tell them they needed to go out and spend $500.00 on all new reloading tools? No.. I'd tell them to get on the auction sites and start buying good used equipment for as little as they can. Why? Because many new hand loaders give up the practice in a relatively short time for many reasons. Some just because they don't find it as "Cool" as they thought it would be or it's just "too much work".

Truthfully, I agree with you completely. I actually own quite a bit of Lee stuff, including a couple presses. And I have to admit, I was just "trolling" to goad the tiger.. Not a good thing to do I know, but sometimes it's just fun...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast