Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves again

Perma-Banned
    bedbugbilly, i dont hear of problems with people contact and wolves in my immediate area, we have mountain ranges, after mountain ranges that are inaccessible unless you hoof it in, wolves are an incredibly intelligent, reclusive critter. They live amongst the elk and moose picking them off. With a pack of wolves, you shoot or trap one and you just further educated the rest of them, making the chances of getting anymore from that bunch EXTREMELY difficult to nearly impossible. Coyotes are a very intelligent critter as well, but wolves make them look stupid! Coyotes are a major problem around my immediate area on deer, they kill a TON of these deer! Ive witnessed it, there are IDIOTS that think coyotes wont/cant kill deer, they are DEAD WRONG! Rough winters with crusted top snow allows them to run across it like concrete, deer are stuck in it and have to plow their way through, they are already thin and exhaust easily from malnutrition (harsh winters and scarce food) Coyotes have a field day with them!! Then springtime comes and the does are heavy with Fawns, they can't run forever, coyotes kill a ton of deer this way as well.

In Remembrance

Here in Michigan up in Lake Superior on Isle Royale park out in the lake DNR officials are planning on `planting` more wolves on the island. Seems they only found 2 wolves left to keep the animals in check (moose, elk and deer) there. Haven`t heard where they plan on relocating wolves from, probably from in the West.Robert

Boolit Master
    Maybe it's time for some civil disobidiance. (SP?) There are many examples of very bad laws being forced on us. Get to it, I say. Make SsS a full time job. Hopefully some relief is coming with the new sheriff in town. Together we can help the prey animals out.
    Last edited by dualsport; 03-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Idea of what these 'Reintroduced Hybrid Wolves' look like, how big they are. Hell of a thing to DUMP on our Elk and Moose huh? They Don't stand a chance against these things

Attachment 190421 Attachment 190422 Attachment 190424
    You could fit grandma and a little girl with an basket of goodies inside one of them wolves.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Just checked - I didn’t know they got this big! And they are fast...

Gray wolf - Canis lupus

2.6 – 2.8 ft. (Adult, At Shoulder)
    31 – 37 mph (Running)
    Male: 66 – 180 lbs (Adult), Female: 51 – 120 lbs (Adult)

Currently in the lower 48 United States, about 2,600 gray wolves exist, with nearly 2,000 in Minnesota (compared to the few hundred living there in the mid-20th century).
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

What I don't understand is if that the wolves are decimating the moose population now, why in the bygone years weren't the moose extinct?
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Super Moderator

Well here in Northern AZ they re-introduced the Mexican Wolves. They started it in eastern AZ, and the ranchers are none too happy about it. I was coyote calling back in December when one came loping in. First time I ever saw one. They are expanding their range I'm told, we'll be seeing more I'm sure.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    54bore - thank you for the info - very interesting. Like many things in government, it seems like there is an overabundance of experts who seem to think they know what is best for those who live with the problem after they create it. I really do feel for you guys. Hopefully the new sheriff will get rid of a lot of the nonsense that goes on - his announcement about all of his departments having to cut 20% is a great announcement as far as I'm concerned. While nobody likes to see anyone loose their job, it's about time the fat was trimmed and who knows, maybe most of them will have to go to the private sector and actually have to work for a change?

My thoughts were, when I started reading this thread, was "more wolves, less game". Maybe we should start cutting more timber and go with the thought of "less trees . . . less treehuggers"?

In Remembrance
    Actually you cut the trees to benefit wildlife, moose most especially.
    Around here they even have a timber sale where you cut it every which a way and leave it lay.
    Down trees crisscrossing, It is a bear to try and walk through these sales for years. They call these types of sales grouse sales, as they are great grouse habitat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Just checked - I didn’t know they got this big! And they are fast...

Gray wolf - Canis lupus

2.6 – 2.8 ft. (Adult, At Shoulder)
    31 – 37 mph (Running)
    Male: 66 – 180 lbs (Adult), Female: 51 – 120 lbs (Adult)

Currently in the lower 48 United States, about 2,600 gray wolves exist, with nearly 2,000 in Minnesota (compared to the few hundred living there in the mid-20th century).
    The official wolf population numbers being cited by the dirty hippies and the government are so laughably off base that it begs one to believe there is outright fraud going on.

The "official" number of wolves in Idaho is around 700.

Yet some experts believe the number is in excess of 4k.

What makes me believe the higher numbers are the hunting results. Of the dozens of hunters I know in Idaho, only a handful have seen an actual wolf. They have seen a ton of sign and kills, but wolves are very elusive. To have hunters taken 198 wolves and trappers another 104 in 2014 means that they managed to kill around 42% of the supposed population. Yet the big game populations preyed on by the wolves continue to drop...?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    What I don't understand is if that the wolves are decimating the moose population now, why in the bygone years weren't the moose extinct?
    Ole Jack
    These are Hybrid wolves, totally different critter than the native wolf, the native wolf is much smaller. These Hybrids are GIANTS

Boolit Grand Master

Ohio reintroduced coyotes a few years ago and they are thriving the pheasant Rabbit and other small game is showing this. Even with the light winters weve had the numbers are way down. I have heard of a few wolf sightings but nothing really documented. Badgers are now protected in Ohio. Next they'll be adding to the woodchuck population

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Here in Michigan up in Lake Superior on Isle Royale park out in the lake DNR officials are planning on `planting` more wolves on the island. Seems they only found 2 wolves left to keep the animals in check (moose, elk and deer) there. Haven`t heard where they plan on relocating wolves from, probably from in the West.Robert
    I talked to a bilogist here in ely, 2 of thee forest service airplanes live here.The biologist was waiting for a break in the weather to get flown to isleroyal. at that time MI deemed it unconstitutional to spend the money to intruduce more wolves. Sounded like they wanted to trap the wolves here near ely

In Remembrance
    Do you have a link to where Ohio introduced coyotes? It is hard to belive that they would be intentionally introduced, when they have travelled all the way to the east coast and up to Alaska all by themselves.

The big wolves that were introduced to Idaho and Mt and probably other states too were Canadian and Alaska wolves, which tend to be much larger than the spanish wolves introduced in some southern states.

They claimed they were endangered, which is one excuse for introducing them, the Canadian and Alaskan wolves have never been endangered, in fact anybody can trap and shoot them in Alaska, I know they are trapped in Canada too.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ely sauna house. Then back to the lake.

What else happening to da moose? Poachers?
    researchers killed more of the moose they collard than the wolves last time they collared a large group. Chase them to exhation with a helicopter . they never really recovered from the stress

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The big wolves that were introduced to Idaho and Mt and probably other states too were Canadian and Alaska wolves, which tend to be much larger than the spanish wolves introduced in some southern states.

They claimed they were endangered, which is one excuse for introducing them, the Canadian and Alaskan wolves have never been endangered, in fact anybody can trap and shoot them in Alaska, I know they are trapped in Canada too.
    EXACTLY! These BIG ******** are a completely different critter than our 'little Native wolf' Our elk and Moose learned over the years how to fend off and deal with our Native wolves, Sure they killed plenty of calves, adults, etc. but the balance was there, We had thriving herds of Elk, and Moose. Then they introduce this GIANT killing machine, Now days most of our Elk live right down here amongst us, in farmers fields, etc. You head back in the hills in search of Elk, Good luck to ya! I hunted HARD last year during Sept archery (I put an EASY average of 6 miles under my boots a day, and thats being conservative) i heard 1 Bull elk bugle the ENTIRE season!! 5-6 years ago you could hear MULTIPLE Bulls EVERY SINGLE DAY through the month of September, every decent size mountain range you could get a Bull elk to fire off at you with a Bugle, NOT ANYMORE!! I hear folks talk about the Elk going Silent and Not Bugling due to wolves, I dont doubt this, but i can tell you from in the woods daily experience, the Elk and Moose numbers are PATHETICALLY POOR! 5-6 years ago you could take someone out that had never seen a Moose and show them NUMEROUS Moose a day, NOT ANYMORE! You are lucky to see 1 Single Moose all season! I seen a young yearling Moose last fall in the Rd with its tongue hanging out of its mouth, I probably spooked whatever was after him? The little fella stood there til i finally had no choice but to go, i made it around him, I'd bet anything that after i got gone whatever was after him got back after him. THINK ABOUT THIS: Idaho use to sell out EVERY SINGLE out of state Elk Tag, if you were an out of state hunter and wanted to hunt our Elk you had to be by a phone the morning these Non resident elk tags became available so you could call in and secure a tag!! In the last few years they can NOT give these tags away!! The Elk and Moose are in DEEP trouble here

But remember you can buy 5 wolf tags LOL! Houston, i think we have a problem!!
    Last edited by 54bore; 03-14-2017 at 05:50 AM.

Boolit Master

Plenty of moose in unit 10A where my dad drew a tag... His bull made Boone & Crockett...

Attachment 190496

Perma-Banned
    Idaho45guy, Not the case in Unit 1, from the Pend Oreille river all the way to Canada.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Idaho45guy, Not the case in Unit 1, from the Pend Oreille river all the way to Canada.
    I believe you. I fish the Couer D'Alene river 27 miles North of the Kingston exit off of 90 up by Prichard Creek. Middle of Unit 4. Dad and brother hunted for elk there last fall and saw exactly 1 elk and 2-3 wolf kills. Talked to guys that have been hunting that area for decades and said it's the worst it's ever been with wolf sign everywhere and no elk.

I have family in Bonners Ferry and Naples but they're too old to hunt anymore.

Boolit Master
    We have two wolf packs in state land near my house in northern lower MI. We can hear them howling sometimes. I have a gun when we hunt mushrooms in the spring.