WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: Beware the Bargain

Beware the Bargain

I was in a surplus place a while back, and bought a package of .177 pellets that had 10 plastic cylinders of 100 or 200 pellets each for a very reasonable price. The first few shots out of my side lever springer refused to hit anything. I tried them in my break-barrel and found out why. Every one of them fell through the barrel onto the floor.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you have a bunch of pellets that will add nicely to your next casting session.

Perma-Banned
    My bet is they were by Gamo, and the lightweight ones? I tried the hotrod lightweight pellets in my nitro piston break barrel and though they sounded cool (very similar to a .22) since they break the sound barrier, i found accuracy was horrible! I went the total opposite direction with the heaviest pellet i could find (10.5 grain) and a dome shaped nose, accuracy is TOP NOTCH and they have WAY more energy! i can hit a small Gatorade bottle at a true ranged 100 yards and the pellet penetrates all the way through. I ended up junking the lightweight pba stuff, they just dont shoot well in my rifle.

I can't say about their guns, but Gamo pellets are the worst around. They're good for little more than adding to the melt.

Perma-Banned
    I dont think they are good for melting either, the lightweight pba gold colored ones are made of something else? Making them that much more worthless!
    In my .177 i am using the Crossman premier ultra mag pellets (10.5 grain) they come in a tin of 500, i HIGHLY recommend them!

Boolit Buddy
    Try using JSB pellets. They are simply the best. Also, If you want to modify the pellets try to "gently" open the skirt using a BB to flair it out a bit. It makes them more consistent in diameter.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master

Gamo PB pellets are reported accurate by some. They are not the light ones. Pellet guns are like any other gun you need to try different pellets to see what yours likes. It might shoot terrible with several and tack drivers with others. Only ones I have tried so far are Crosman 10.5 Grain Premier Ultra in my 177's and Crosman 14.3 Hollow Point Premiers in the 22 guns. So far works well in all but I plan on trying others as well.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Perma-Banned
    JSB is kind of like the Weatherby of Pellets, They make a dome nose 10.5 Grain like the Crossman Premiere ultra mag but i have not tried them yet (JSB might have done this first and Crossman followed?) There are a few companies out there that sell high end premier pellets, i watched a YouTube video of an EXTREME target air rifle and that guy was shooting pellets that came in a small box, each pellet separated and encased in foam so they couldn't get damaged bumping against eachother. Like pretty much anything else, there's Junk level, and on through to very high end. I have found the Crossman premier ultra mag 10.5 grain pellets shoot AMAZING for me! This picture is my rifle at a TRUE ranged 100 yards (My Leica 1600 Range Finder) to that far sand bank, i was hitting a small Gatorade bottle at that distance consistently as long as i did my part, that 10.5 grain pellet stil made it all the way through that thick plastic bottle at 100 Yards

Attachment 185377

Boolit Master
    You might try spreading the skirt. There are purpose made tools for spreading the skirts and rounding them out, but in a pinch you can use the point of a center punch.

A long time ago Daisy branded pellets gave me similar accuracy problems and seemed undersized. I bought some Gamo pellets and found them to look identical to the Daisy pellets. I suspect Daisy was buying and rebranding Gamo pellets at the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Gamo/BSA pellets have awful quality standards. Pity as the BSA interceptor and storm pellets are really well designed. The storm are sold as either daisy or crossman (can't remember which) pointed. I avoid Gamo pellets. Their guns are pretty mediocre to.I'll second the JSB recommendation. They are very popular in field target shooting.

Boolit Master

Sounds like the pba aluminum rounds. They were undersized in my bore as well. I couldn't figure out what people were talking about online when they said they were load. I realized they were too small and mushroomed the skirt on a few using a punch and damn they were loud after that. Still inaccurate as heck.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    Sounds like the pba aluminum rounds. They were undersized in my bore as well. I couldn't figure out what people were talking about online when they said they were load. I realized they were too small and mushroomed the skirt on a few using a punch and damn they were loud after that. Still inaccurate as heck.
    Yep, They are JUNK in my opinion!! And they are expensive JUNK around these parts

Boolit Mold
    agree I gave several hundred away a year ago
    He tried to sell them back to me

Boolit Master
    I usually end using JSB or H&N, whichever are most accurate, and I stick with them.......but before I get to that point I've tried most makes.