Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who to have "magnumize" VZ 24 Mauser?

Boolit Master
    Now you are starting to sound like me.
    I start on a project, then find out there is almost exactly what i want out there on the market.
    So i buy it, with the intention of selling off my project gun to finance the purchase.
    But never get around to selling off the project gun, because I need something to think about for the next Project.
    That is how I ended up with 120 guns in my gun locker.
    But Keeping them around is inspiration to look deeply into what I really want or need.
    Dont get me wrong.
    Most of the project Guns get finished, but not always to what I bought them to build.
    But many of them even being a perfect rifle, get turned back into another Project.
    Aint this a Fun Hobby, if you can afford it ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Since you bought the Savage in .375 might I suggest building the vz24 in 8x57? Don't go with Shaw on this if you want a lightweight. Have fun!
    Where's the fun in that? The VZ 24 is already 8x57. (besides, one or two of the Turks will probably stay 8x57)
    Not really after "light weight", but Shaw doesn't show 9.3x62 as one they will do anyway.
    ~ 900$ for a CZ 550 FS, or 500$ for Douglas to rebarrel the VZ 24, then still have to do bolt, sights, scope mounts, stock, etc.
    Sell the VZ (or a Turk and/or a Swede) for ~200 - 300 and I'm so close to price of the CZ 550 that you might as well call it a wash.......

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I have converted VZ24s to 7mmRemMag and 300WM.
    1) open the lips
    2) Open the bolt face
    3) open the extractor
    4) lengthen the magazine or buy other bottome metal

And of course bend/weld the bolt and drill and tap for scope and restock, etc.

All very easy compared to converting to 223.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I have converted VZ24s to 7mmRemMag and 300WM.
    1) open the lips
    2) Open the bolt face
    3) open the extractor
    4) lengthen the magazine or buy other bottome metal

And of course bend/weld the bolt and drill and tap for scope and restock, etc.

All very easy compared to converting to 223.
    For some odd reason I think your thoughts are very funny and true!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    "Had" implies past tense. If it was perfect, why do you no longer have it? Not trying to be argumentative, just if you found something more perfect I could skip that step. I've actually lately been seriously thinking the CZ 550 FS 9.3x62 could fill the role I was planning for the Savage.
    I'm sorry for not replying sooner. A good friend talked me out of the CZ 550 just as I was getting into my .358 JES Rem 700. I would not hesitate to get another CZ in that chambering if I needed one. Bullet selection played a part in the process but basically he waved a Sako 22-250 in my face and said the magic words - Even Trade? If you get (or have gotten) the 9.3 please don't overlook Privi Partizan ammo/components. Bargain price; top shelf quality.
    Best, Thomas.

If you read many of my posts the HAD word appears often! Hello. My name is Thomas. I am a guntradeaholic.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a 358 winchester out of a model 98 action dated 1950 (last year for a 98 mil action). E R Shaw did most of the work for it, I did the Buehler safety, installed a Timney trigger and did the stock. Shaw did the barrel, installed it, drilled and tapped for Weaver scope mounts, installed new bolt handle and a mate blue of completed action .....looking at their website, all that for 588.00. Didnt have to adjust feed rails or magazine box. I wanted a 23 inch barrel. This rifle shoots extremely well. 358 winchester is a hellofa round....definitely a killer. JimP.

Boolit Master
    You just need a gunsmith, not a basic parts assembler. The gentleman that does Mauser/OM 70 things for me knows how to use a file. He just finished up a switch barrel in 300/375 H&H on a mid-fifties FN Commercial Magnum action.

I have a VZ-24 in 404 Jefferys. The gunsmith that built it used the original magazine box. He was a 21 year old senior at Trinidad Gunsmithing School. Their graduation project is, or used to be, building a rifle. Something that would should showcase their talents and skills. Both metal and wood working. No slop it in and use the bedding medium (Marine Tex is the best) to hide the ineptitude.

Jim Kobe would be my recommendation for the metal work. He did the metal work for me on rebarreling and conversion of an OM 70 to 458 RUM.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    "Had" implies past tense. If it was perfect, why do you no longer have it? Not trying to be argumentative, just if you found something more perfect I could skip that step. I've actually lately been seriously thinking the CZ 550 FS 9.3x62 could fill the role I was planning for the Savage.
    The 375 Ruger has a fair amount more Snort than the 9.3×62 Mauser. Tho it does run dang near neck and neck with the ,9.3×64 Brenneke. I've had a number of 375 Rugers. All the 20" Alaskan Rifle. My 9.3×62 M. Was a 20" barrelled CZ 550. And my 9.3×64 B is built on a Mark X action , with a PacNor barrel.
    If you are going to be fighting heavy and dangerous game at close range . Alone ! Then the 375 River has the edge. But, for a general purpose big game rifle , its pretty hard to beat the 9.3×62 Mauser.
    Let me say that my 64 is an accurate , easy shooting , lucky and successful , powerful rifle. It fits me very well . BUT !! What's the sense having a great rifle that brass is scarce and expensive.
    Thats why I got a 375 Whelan Ackley Improved last fall.
    I gave up 200 fps with a 250 gr bullet. However. There is still plenty of power for what I need the rifle for here in the Interior. I very much regret selling my 9.3×62 Mauser. And will replace it with a 20" CZ 550 in the same cartridge.
    They can be found for between $400-600 . As to the metal work. CZ got it right . The Lux stock isn't my favourite . and will get replaced with a synthetic or possibly a laminate.

I was pushing a 250 gr Barnes X bullet , moly tumbled @ 2600 fps from my 62 . But that was probably a bit hot for a 20" barrel.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    The 375 Ruger has a fair amount more Snort than the 9.3×62 Mauser. Tho it does run dang near neck and neck with the ,9.3×64 Brenneke. I've had a number of 375 Rugers. All the 20" Alaskan Rifle. My 9.3×62 M. Was a 20" barrelled CZ 550. And my 9.3×64 B is built on a Mark X action , with a PacNor barrel.
    If you are going to be fighting heavy and dangerous game at close range . Alone ! Then the 375 River has the edge. But, for a general purpose big game rifle , its pretty hard to beat the 9.3×62 Mauser.
    Let me say that my 64 is an accurate , easy shooting , lucky and successful , powerful rifle. It fits me very well . BUT !! What's the sense having a great rifle that brass is scarce and expensive.
    Thats why I got a 375 Whelan Ackley Improved last fall.
    I gave up 200 fps with a 250 gr bullet. However. There is still plenty of power for what I need the rifle for here in the Interior. I very much regret selling my 9.3×62 Mauser. And will replace it with a 20" CZ 550 in the same cartridge.
    They can be found for between $400-600 . As to the metal work. CZ got it right . The Lux stock isn't my favourite . and will get replaced with a synthetic or possibly a laminate.

I was pushing a 250 gr Barnes X bullet , moly tumbled @ 2600 fps from my 62 . But that was probably a bit hot for a 20" barrel.
    20" Savage Alaska Brush Hunter in 375 didn't live up to what I wanted it for (my fault, didn't research enough). So I got the CZ 550 FS in 9.3 x 62. I think it will do nicely as a graduation present. I'll just have to keep the Savage for me.....

the more I look at the 9.3x62, the more I'm thinking the VZ24 is gonna end up being one....

Boolit Buddy
    P.S.
    is it just me, or is "setting" the 550 trigger fairly hard? I know I'm getting old, but it takes the same motion to release the safety on a Garand, and I have no trouble with that.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I've had several CZs and setting the trigger wasn't a problem. It is a little stronger push to set it than a Car and/M1A/Mini 14 . but I never had a problem with it. But, it does take a good push. Most of the time I just shot them unset .
    If I had kept mine, it would have got a real express sight rear , banded front sight and a synthetic stock. And probably a full CerraCote job . But thats it. Sure do miss that rifle and the ability to make brass from about anything.
    You are being watched.

I made up a 375-06 on a FN Mauser 98 with no problems which comes close to a 375 HH . I also made up a 375-338 on a VZ24 with very little monkeying around with feed rails to get it to feed . The 375-338 will duplicate the 375 HH yet feed through the VZ action .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    I made up a 375-06 on a FN Mauser 98 with no problems which comes close to a 375 HH . I also made up a 375-338 on a VZ24 with very little monkeying around with feed rails to get it to feed . The 375-338 will duplicate the 375 HH yet feed through the VZ action .
    375 Ruger was the original idea, but the 9.3 is leading the pack now.