WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Rock Chucker primer catcher

Boolit Master
    I watched the video closely and I still don't know how the thing works. The spent primer comes out in front of the ram, how does it get into the tube in the back of the ram.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    I ordered mine off ebay for the RC2 press. It came with a plastic piece that fit into the ram's "primer chute" to guide the spent primers into the part on the press that holds the tube. (clear as mud....right?)

It works great. Just wish I hade one of these 20 years ago.

BTW, I had to reverse the ram on my RC2 press, but that was no big deal.

AR15-SBR

I got this off ebay too. I think it's the same thing. For my RC2. I added the Inline Fabrication ejector kit with it. Reverse the ram insert the guide piece. Hasn't given me any trouble.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170217_194705_resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	188244

Feeds to a jar for the spent primers.

Name:	20170217_194725_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	188245

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I watched the video closely and I still don't know how the thing works. The spent primer comes out in front of the ram, how does it get into the tube in the back of the ram.
    The ram is reversed...removed, rotated 180 degrees, and re-assembled so the slot is in the back.
    Kinda hard to prime with it though

Yes, shipping is expensive - I pay between $7.20 and $8.30 just for USPS Priority shipping. Add the packaging material and cost of gas to drive to the post office and you are actually over the $9.50 shipping fee. It unfortunately is not a means to increase profits.

An alternative may be non-priority shipping, but that does not provide any tracking information nor insurance. Local pickup at zero cost is not a problem at all.

The biggest hit on the latest raise of shipping fees was the increase of UPS shipping to Canada. It was around $26 (yes, cheapest option...) and that went up to slightly above $40 beginning of the year. So, item cost of $15, plus $40 shipping - looks ridiculous, but neither me nor another vendor is making any money on over-charging for shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    Shipping has become a profit center; with some vendors the shipping is the major source of profit. They break even on the item, pay all their costs from that.

I bought 4 ammo cans and 65 rounds of shotgun slugs and buck, got free shipping. But the receipt was broken down to include $33.75 for shipping that was waived!

I am finishing a version right now that replaces the factory catcher on the RC 2 - it is slightly larger and has a higher wall and a drop into a tube in the front. Just decapped about 500 shells and had zero on the floor... It does not require rotating the ram and priming can be done just like with the factory one.
    Below some pics of it - can be used without the primer assembly, I provide a slot filler for that case...

Name:	rc2-003.jpg 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	188536

Name:	rc2-001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	188534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rc2-002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	188535

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    The ram is reversed...removed, rotated 180 degrees, and re-assembled so the slot is in the back.
    Kinda hard to prime with it though
    Last edited by Big Tom; 02-20-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    That device looks interesting but I can't really tell from the picture how it works. I just suffer with the catcher that came with the press. Yeah, I occasionally have a spent primer escape but no where as many as the haters talk about. It seems to make a difference in how aggressive you work the ram. I'm pretty slow and deliberate myself.
    Agreed, some reloaders look like they are in Vegas on the slots the way they pull.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    I am finishing a version right now that replaces the factory catcher on the RC 2 - it is slightly larger and has a higher wall and a drop into a tube in the front. Just decapped about 500 shells and had zero on the floor... It does not require rotating the ram and priming can be done just like with the factory one.
    Below some pics of it - can be used without the primer assembly, I provide a slot filler for that case...

Now this is more my style since I prime on the press, will you be making these available or is it for your own use only? I'd buy one if not too expensive............
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

This makes far more sense than anything else I've seen.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I spent few minutes taping cardboard to my RCBS partner press and made a 10 second video.

Well, I bought and received the primercatcher and I installed it. It works exactly as advertised. Have not had one primer drop on the floor or bench since the installation.

The shipping still stings but my back says 'thank you!"

Yep, shipping is expensive and after double checking with USPS, every package over 13 oz has to be sent Priority Mail. The catchers (incl. the packaging material) are unfortunately over that limit. As mentioned before, I'm more than happy to combine shipments and have had a few people picking it up locally at no cost.

Clark - that looks like a nice workaround!

Yep, shipping is expensive and after double checking with USPS, every package over 13 oz has to be sent Priority Mail. The catchers (incl. the packaging material) are unfortunately over that limit. As mentioned before, I'm more than happy to combine shipments and have had a few people picking it up locally at no cost.

Call your PO (Postmaster) an get a business account for click an ship. You pay the postage online(USPS) which lets you ship up to a 16 oz package at the first class rate. If you have to buy shipping packaging U-Line is the place, if going Priority USPS will send you everything for free. Then you file a customer pick up an your Letter Carrier picks up your stuff. It's all tracked (free) if you pay the postage online.

Good luck!

Boolit Master

Id sure like to get one from you but shipping to Canada would cost me as much as a new press especially with our 74 cent peso.