Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Forming 9mm Mak from 9mm Luger

Boolit Mold

Forming 9mm Mak from 9mm Luger

Hey guys, since 9mm Mak ammo may not be available forever, I want to start loading for it. Particularly for quality defensive ammo, which I can't find in any local stores. Additionally, I want to cast cheaper practice boolits. I shoot 9mm Luger occasionally, and I have been saving brass. Does anyone have experience trimming Luger brass down to Makarov specs?

How about casting for a .360 boolit, in the 90-110 grain range? How well does this caliber respond to casting?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    lee has a mold for the mak. it is a 90 gr. round nose. I have used 9m/m brass. it works well, it is a bit of trimming. but I do mine in the mill so no problem for me.

Boolit Bub
    I routinely use 9mm brass trimmed down to 9mm Mak length. It does take a bit of trimming, but that is a once and done thing and is no big deal. I do get a few that split lengthwise, especially on the first firing, probably because the Mak is a few thousandths larger in diameter than the 9mm Parabellum. Other than that, it works well. I have used commercial cast bullets in it, and it is very accurate with them. I just got the Lee mold, and it looks good, but I haven't tried it yet. With cast bullets, mine seems to like AA #5.

Boolit Buddy

Lee has a 9mm Makarov case trimmer that works great. I cut a lot of 9mm to become Makarov. I have also used the mold mentioned above, drops a nice boolit. Good luck with yours.

I use the Wilson trimmer, it's slow, but once it's set it's 0.001"+or- every time.
    I also have a hollow point mold from MP Molds and it makes great 95 grain hollow points.
    From 800-1100 fps they all shoot great from my P-64.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagamor View Post
    I use the Wilson trimmer, it's slow, but once it's set it's 0.001"+or- every time.
    I also have a hollow point mold from MP Molds and it makes great 95 grain hollow points.
    From 800-1100 fps they all shoot great from my P-64.
    Pardon my ignorance, what's the size difference between the 95gr hollow point and the Lee moold? And isn't the lee mold 95gr - I'll have to look at mine again (been too long since casting).

Boolit Master

One other thing, my Macs slug from .363 to .365+ so a .360 bullet will likely be too small for your gun. I'd suggest .365 as a minimum if you don't want to slug your barrel.

To use 9mm brass in your mak, expand and recap with the mak die then trim. Load.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lyman 364653 mold. It drops about .365 with my alloy (50/50 wheel weight and range scrap plus a little tin). I just tumble lube and load them.

I'm not good at posting pictures, but this is what they look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	188871 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	188872
    My first mold and I lubed them the first time, but them tiny ba****ds were a pain in the tookus. Been powder coating them since, with good results.

Boolit Master
    When making mak brass make sure to some how mark them as not to mix them with your 9x19 brass. I use military brass and hit em with green sharpy

Boolit Mold
    I don'y reload for 9x19, and I don't expect to anytime soon. Ammo is too available, and I don't shoot it much.

Boolit Master
    I size with the mak sizer, then trim to length with the drill press (Lee cutter and pilot chucked in the press)
    I have the Lee Mak mold and the NOE RD Mak HP mold. Easy all the way around, and the Mak is a great shooter.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 02-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Mold
    For those of you who trim with a bench mounted hand brass cutter, how long does it take you for each piece? 5 seconds? 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I size with the mak expander,.................
    When you size them, are you just belling the end, so the bullet will fit? Or are you expanding the case somewhat? Then fire form the case when you shoot the cartridge. What Mak dies are you using?

Boolit Master
    When you size them, are you just belling the end, so the bullet will fit? Or are you expanding the case somewhat? Then fire form the case when you shoot the cartridge. What Mak dies are you using?
    I meant to say Mak sizing die, not expander. I have the Lee die set. Once you run the 9mm luger case through the Mak sizing die and trim it to length, you have a 9mm Mak case ready to load in the usual fashion.
    I save out my Nickel cases for Mak conversion. Makes ID easier.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 02-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.

tactical it takes @ 5 seconds with a power trimmer , i re-designed 2 truncated boolit molds over on accurate molds both bevel base i like the heavier one the best . the 95 was just a little too light had to seat it too deep this was perfect and shot very accurate
    i shot this mold unsized ..
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master
    nice lookin' boolit