MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your cornbread !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

What do you do with your cornbread !

When you have soup , stew , beans or what ever do you crumble the cornbread in it or eat it on the side ? lol
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

both

I just try to get it out if the pan. Always sticks and leaves a mess. I don't think I have ever got a piece out of any kind of baking dish whole without the bottom sticking.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I do both also!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Some always ends up in, most gets eaten on the side with butter during. And then there has to be a piece with butter and honey for desert. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah.

Boolit Mold
    Made chili and cornbread last night. Cooked cornbread in cast iron skillet. I think the trick to non stick cornbread, at least in well seasoned cast iron, is to preheat skillet to Med on stove then add cornbread mix and bake in the oven. Mine came out without sticking!

Boolit Grand Master

On the siode with butter and molasses. Some does end up in the soup also.

Boolit Grand Master

Usually in. I love to crumble up a few pieces in a beef stew. I can also crumble up a piece in a glass of milk.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I just try to get it out if the pan. Always sticks and leaves a mess. I don't think I have ever got a piece out of any kind of baking dish whole without the bottom sticking.
    Using the recipe(s) I have posted in other cornbread threads, in a #6 cast iron skillet, you will get that nice dark crispy crust bottom and ZERO sticking.. It's all in preheating the skillet and having it HOT HOT HOT, swirling a fat tablespoon of bacon grease until it melts, you want it nearly smoking or maybe even smoking some when the batter hits it. When it is done, take it out of the oven, lay a plate over the top of the hot skillet, flip it all over and the cornbread will drop RIGHT out onto the plate.. Dump it right back into that hot skillet upside down, slice and serve!

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    When you have soup , stew , beans or what ever do you crumble the cornbread in it or eat it on the side ? lol
    If I am having beans, I make them soupy and loose purposely so I can slice a wedge of cornbread, butter it, set it in a bowl and drown it with the beans. OMG and HAIL YEAH we talking now!!

When we make Collards, we save the pot likker (yes this is proper, LIQUOR is had down to the ABC store, LIKKER comes from cooking greens in a pot!) and soak some of that up with cornbread. <<<STUPID GOOD TOO!!

Another favorite is to break it up into a glass of whole buttermilk.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Aw come on Doug a # 6 ? We're way hungrier than that!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Aw come on Doug a # 6 ? We're way hungrier than that!
    I have several 6s and you can double up the recipe. Cornbread is best when there is an optimal thickness, say 1 1/2" when batter is just poured in, and the size of the #6 skillet lends itself to a perfectly consistent 20min baking time at 450.

Larger skillets take longer to bake until the middle gets done and the sides can become overcooked. There IS a method to the madness..

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, you can use a Jiffy mix and pour it thin and bake it shorter and that certainly works too. I just prefer making it thick in a #6 skillet.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Yes! I do both. If I make cornbread in the cast iron skillet, I scoop the soft crumbly insides into the soup and eat the crunchy parts separately. If I make it in the waffle iron, I crumble at least one piece in the bowl of soup.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

I will put a piece in with beans but ALL other times it's smothered in butter with honey all over it!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Yes! I do both. If I make cornbread in the cast iron skillet, I scoop the soft crumbly insides into the soup and eat the crunchy parts separately. If I make it in the waffle iron, I crumble at least one piece in the bowl of soup.
    cornbread in the waffle iron. Now why haven't I ever thought of that? Brilliant!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    cornbread in the waffle iron. Now why haven't I ever thought of that? Brilliant!
    You get more crunchy crust that way.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Perma-Banned
    with brown beans it gets crumbled in, with everything else it's buttered on the side. and sometimes a piece with butter & jelly or honey for dessert.

liked a hot piece crumbled in a cold glass of milk when I was younger. not so much now. and though it was very popular in my family, I never could stand buttermilk.

and nothin' could compare to the good fried crust my granny could put on a pan of cornbread. and even better than that was my grampaw's awesome cracklin' cornbread.

Perma-Banned
    Throw the Cornbread away and eat the bowl of soup, stew, or beans. Cornbread is something i never could get a liking for? My Grandmother made it all the time, everyone that ate my Grandma's Cornbread loved it, except me! I did have some in Jail one time that was pretty darn good, it was sweet

Perma-Banned
    in most cases I prefer biscuits myself but, the OP asked about cornbread. and with good brown soupbeans it's gotta be cornbread crumbled in the bowl with some beans, plenty of the soup, a big chunk of the ham or sidemeat ya seasoned with all topped off with a goodly helpin' of chopped onions.

Boolit Master
    Cornbread with real butter and mom's homemade blackberry jelly was hard to beat...The rest of the time, in it goes to whatever soup or chili!!! ( Heavily buttered when it goes in ham & beans..plain in chili...)
    '
    Is it just me...or are shooters wonderful cooks?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Throw the Cornbread away and eat the bowl of soup, stew, or beans. Cornbread is something i never could get a liking for? My Grandmother made it all the time, everyone that ate my Grandma's Cornbread loved it, except me! I did have some in Jail one time that was pretty darn good, it was sweet
    Gotta watch the jail food. It's usually made by the trustees (aka riskees).
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast