RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR scope suggestion

Boolit Master

AR scope suggestion

I'm thinking about getting a new scope for my AR right now i am running a fixed 4 power Leupold would I be better off if i switch to a 3x9 this one http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupo...pe%26CQ_st%3Db what are your thoughts get the 3x9 or just run the 4x Leupold my shooting will be
    35 yards out to 300 yards
    thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a new scope for my AR right now i am running a fixed 4 power Leupold would I be better off if i switch to a 3x9 this one http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupo...pe%26CQ_st%3Db what are your thoughts get the 3x9 or just run the 4x Leupold my shooting will be
    35 yards out to 300 yards
    thanks
    If you're just shooting silhouette and steel, the 4x is plenty. If you want tight group or you're hunting, the extra power is pretty handy, but at 35yd you will suffer from the higher base power if you need to shoot quickly.

It's all about what you shoot and how.

Boolit Master

I'm just shooting at steel and paper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I'm just shooting at steel and paper
    Certainly won't hurt then, it's good glass by a good company.

If you plan to ever take it afield, make sure the turrets have some sort of lock on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    If you plan to ever take it afield, make sure the turrets have some sort of lock on them.
    True. Those numbered knobs may be cool at the range, but if you can't lock them that's a problem hunting or even carrying the gun. And don't get me started on fast focus eyepieces....

Look real hard at the Vortex line of scopes. I picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 4x12x40 back when Midway had them on sale. I needed a bit more magnification for older eyes. Even Vortex's cheaper line will turn you off buying Leupold or any other high dollar scope. Makes my Nikon scope looks like sheer garbage. The clarity is amazing and the Crossfires are half the cost of the scope you are looking at.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Could also consider the Primary Arms 4-14, very good glass for the money.

I agree with Boolit Head - Vortex is putting out some good stuff now.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Gotta like Vortex's warranty too. No warranty cards no muss no fuss hand them a broken scope and get a fixed or new one.

"Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.
    You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
    • Fully transferable
    • No warranty card to fill out
    • No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you."
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Vortex has discontinued the Crossfire no-magnification 1X scope. Get them while you can if you want one for your HD AR. Faster/clearer than open sights and no batteries. Best, Thomas.

I have the Leupold AR in a 6X18 model on my Savage 223 varminter and love it. Great clarity and the numbered knobs allow for quick adjustments that can be returned to normal easily.

Boolit Master

thank you all for your replies and suggestions

My rule of the thumb for Airgun's scope is to get only the ones with etched reticles and short focusing (under 9 feets). Considering airguns targhets, alive or on paper, normally under 120 yards I don't mind to much on super dupe glasses, clarity in the dark etc. but I like to ave a mildott, or half mildot, on them al fos easig the shot. So Nikko Stirling, Konus or Hawke often fits my needs. I have also used a Leupold III on one of my rifles, But soon whent back because I was concerned on damaging it and the minimum focusing was way too far for an airgun

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of these, gets great reviews from Low light from snipers hide. it is good glass and tracks very well and I have used it to 460 yards. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...-reticle-matte

460is a huge distance for an air gun. Is it a special weapon?

Boolit Buddy
    I put a vortex strike eagle 1-6 on mine. I love it. 1x for CQB and 6X for ringing steel at distance. I can consistently hit 12x12 at 450 yards and the scope helps immensely in that accomplishment.
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Super Moderator

I bought this one, I think it's reasonably priced and is very well constructed.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...-reticle-matte

I took a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18X44 to the range today for the first time on a 22lr match rifle. I am thoroughly impressed.
    I had the BDC reticle in it.
    The crosshairs are fine enough to shoot very accurately and heavy enough to be seen easily.
    Adjustments were precise and repeatable. The drop compensation worked as the instructions suggested.
    I am going to buy another one for my 30-06.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I bought this one, I think it's reasonably priced and is very well constructed.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...-reticle-matte
    I have that one on another ar and is a great scope also.