Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare sighting for my county

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    They would never make it through Pa without getting killed ! Lol , there was a time there was the reason penn state has the Nittny lions and Pitt has the panthers as mascots about once a years or so there's a non confirmed by the game commission in Pa sighting of a eastern cougar /panther/ mountain lion there once was possibly still is but there's very few places in pa that hasn't seen a humam footstep and with as many hunters as we have even today not even counting in past generations that one hasn't been killed or other evidence of there still being around . Possible but unlikely but according to some big foot is all over the chestnut and laurel ridges ! Lol
    They are still in the state. Friend has pics of one on a trail cam at his cabin in the northern tier. I've met his friend who was wounded by one. He was leaning up against a tree while hunting. He was not aware of the cougar in the tree. Well it decided it wanted down. It ripped up his shoulder pretty good on it's way down. This was a case wrong place at the wrong time.

PAGC would not admit there is a wild hog population in the south central part of the state. I don't think they officially have yet. But they have started to put shoot on site warnings in the hunting digest the past two years. If they aren't here then why add the warning? They are always slow to react.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If I was worried about bears, I'd never be able to go to the outhouse!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

my sister lives in a small town in Upstate NY and she has had a black bear in her yard and has been told recently to expect to see bobcats along with deer and really any kind of wild creatures as their numbers are up. It has been over 50 years since bobcats were in the area where she lives.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I just came from seeing someone down the road from me and he had cat tracks in his front door in the snow.No it was not a small cat ,it is a cougar.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

In Remembrance

A friend of mine had an outdoor show on public TV that was shown as far North as into Canada. He had an on going spat with the local DNR about rattlesnakes (NOT MASSAUGAS) being here in the `Thumb` area of Michigan. He was stream fishing under an old wood bridge on a dirt road one day and nearly stepped on a rattler. He killed it, bagged it up and drove to a local DNR field office. Inside he asked again about rattlers, `No` he was told no rattlers. `Well what is this` he asked as he plopped the bag with dead snake on the desk counter? Since then they have grudgingly admitted that there `might` be rattlers in our Thumb area. He has heard of other sightings of cotton mouths in S. Michigan in recent years.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    My mother in law killed a rattlesnake with her hoe when she was tending the garden. This was near Redman in Huron County about 1965. There was also the wolverine that made Minden City swamp it's home from about 2003 until it died in 2010. Certainly a strange place to find a wolverine.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    The Minn. DNR flatly denies the existence of mountain lions in the state. They say that any pictures of long tailed cats are Bobcats.
    Wisconsin DNR did that also , till some one hit it with a car , then they told us how young males sometimes travel several hundred miles.

they changed their statement to they represent a statistically insignificant population and are not at breading population. Yet they didn't think it so funny when I said said then it will be Statistically Insignificant when I shoot it and put it out of it's non breeding misery.

then they added cougar to the list of Wisconsin protected species, if we don't have them and they are not supposed to be here why add them to the list ?
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    They would never make it through Pa without getting killed ! Lol , there was a time there was the reason penn state has the Nittny lions and Pitt has the panthers as mascots about once a years or so there's a non confirmed by the game commission in Pa sighting of a eastern cougar /panther/ mountain lion there once was possibly still is but there's very few places in pa that hasn't seen a humam footstep and with as many hunters as we have even today not even counting in past generations that one hasn't been killed or other evidence of there still being around . Possible but unlikely but according to some big foot is all over the chestnut and laurel ridges ! Lol
    the PA gc does a horrible job of getting new(meaning a junior hunter) hunter into the sport. it was at an all time high of 1.1 million hunters in the 1980's to 2015-16 of 500-600,000 hunters. and yes i do belive that bigfoot can go thru the state. now if it does exist, you'll have to show me. panthers/mountian lions/cougars are rare or non-exist. wild pigs/boars already do exist, i've seen them in relvoc(cambria county), pa and supposedly in bedford county. i live in somerset county and years ago, we had to go up north(centre, potter...) to get a bear, but since the PAGC traps bears and sends down south, its nothing to see a bear. i think that a 700+lb bear was killed(7 or 8 miles from me). i've killed one(396lbs) about 3/4 mile from my house. coyotes have been around for years. i don't recall when the PAGC does consider the 'yote to be huntable/trapped, but it was years that the PAGC says 'yotes, their are no such thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I just came from seeing someone down the road from me and he had cat tracks in his front door in the snow.No it was not a small cat ,it is a cougar.
    I hope they clean up the run away deer population. Should be like a smorgasbord for the big cats.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    Wisconsin DNR did that also , till some one hit it with a car , then they told us how young males sometimes travel several hundred miles.

they changed their statement to they represent a statistically insignificant population and are not at breading population. Yet they didn't think it so funny when I said said then it will be Statistically Insignificant when I shoot it and put it out of it's non breeding misery.

then they added cougar to the list of Wisconsin protected species, if we don't have them and they are not supposed to be here why add them to the list ?
    Wow NH has copied them all the way!

Banned

We have yotes now, eastern panhandle of WV. Neighbor has pictures of a dozen and I seen one when deer hunting but could not get on it. No closed season on them in WV.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    We have yotes now, eastern panhandle of WV. Neighbor has pictures of a dozen and I seen one when deer hunting but could not get on it. No closed season on them in WV.
    There is no closed season in PA either. It must have been a long time ago that the PAGC wouldn't admit they exist. Because I don't remember it. There have been talks off offering bounties on them but it was never passed. They're also the hybrids and are significantly larger.

Boolit Master
    I see cougars all the time in Atlanta. You have to go to the right clubs to see them in their natural habitat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I see cougars all the time in Atlanta. You have to go to the right clubs to see them in their natural habitat.
    You are a little crazy but can I tag along?

In 90 or 91 I saw what id say was a black panther while bow hunting. Heard something walking thought a deer was coming and this big cat showed up it sat just up the hill from the tree I was in for few minutes before walking away . Didn't make for a good walk out of the woods that night wondering where it was . Use to see bobcats but nothing like that . The yote are in northern panhandle of WV to and that's where I saw the cat .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike69 View Post
    In 90 or 91 I saw what id say was a black panther while bow hunting. Heard something walking thought a deer was coming and this big cat showed up it sat just up the hill from the tree I was in for few minutes before walking away . Didn't make for a good walk out of the woods that night wondering where it was . Use to see bobcats but nothing like that . The yote are in northern panhandle of WV to and that's where I saw the cat .
    i used to hunt clarksburg to pleasant valley area. i've seen the 'yotes and also i've have seen pictures my little brother has taken of the bobcat.

Moderator Emeritus

As obsessed as most folks are today, they can often look straight at something, and not see it. It's amazing how much stuff we "filter" out from our perceptions. One of the first thing a young hunter has to do is develop his "woods eyes," and start taking everything in, and stop sorting stuff out unless it's really obvious. Whole deer, for instance, aren't usually seen. Rather, all we generally get to see is a nose (white patch helps here), head, antlers, or some small part of them through the bushes. And how they can move without being "seen" is almost scary!

Long ago, I learned if something sounds like a deer coming toward me, it's usually a squirrel or coon. If it sounds like a squirrel, it just might be a deer! And most folks can't see things, even when you point it out to them very precisely, until it moves. Then most can usually see it, if it's in the open. If it's in the bushes, most never really "see" it (perceive it for what it is) at all. Pretty fascinating, in a way.

When it comes to seeing things unusual, I've usually found it was folks who are hunters, and have good "woods eyes" who see them. Most folks won't even notice them, which is why I find it eminently believable that something like sasquatch or black panthers COULD exist. So few people would recognize them, even if they DID see them, that it really wouldn't be any big trick for a shy animal to appear to be non-existent to most people. Only those who can actually see what's there can actually know they're there. That's why I've never come down heavily on those who "see" unusual things in the outdoors. Most non-hunters are shocked when they see something they don't expect to, which explains why many won't even tell if they've seen something unusual.

The wild is still very much a "wild" place! I hope it always will be.

Banned

I agree, a good hunter can pick up a deer leg and knows all the animals. I have been around many bears in PA and there is nothing else you can confuse them with.
    I have never seen a squatch but believe they are there after what we experienced. I think they are just too smart and bury their dead. You will never find bones. They must have vision and hearing so good you can't enter where they live undetected.
    I found that with deer, they know every branch, stump, whatever, in their living room. You don't move the coffee table. My friend want's to clear lanes and I said no, wait to shoot instead. No shot let the deer walk.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Two weeks ago when my son and I were unloading the moving truck after dark, there were sirens in the distance. All of a sudden we hear answering howls in the woods above us. I just bought a place with 81 acres up a mountain. A few minutes later I shined a flashlight down the driveway/road and could have sworn I saw a cream colored big dog size something just vanish. We continued unloading till we hit the guns and ammo.

Banned

I have no fear of black bears, yotes or bobcats, but a cougar can eat you right quick.
    I think a neighbors dogs are worse. One will attack people, the other will kill small animals like my dog. He walks them up the road or should I say they drag him? Big, black things he can't control.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast