Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer and Chainsaws LOL

Boolit Master

Deer and Chainsaws LOL

The field by dads woods is frozen enough
    So I headed back to cut down some dead 18" - 24" Ash trees
    I took the Stihl chainsaws , gas , bar oil, Noise canceling ear plugs and muffs .... Oh the ax just in case
    My Lady took my crossbow as Ohio Deer Bow season goes out Sunday

I start dropping the trees ( some how I got them all to fall just where I wanted them LOL )

8 trees down and I feel a tap on my shoulder
    There she stands with a plastic bag with a deer heart in it and a big grin

How come 10 min after you start cutting with a chainsaw .... making all kinds oh noise
    Do the deer come to watch you work

But make 1 small noise 99% of the time and they head the other way ??

Oh well SHE is grilling Back Straps and I am relaxing

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Ha Ha nice!! I spent an entire evening once slowly silently stalking along a patch of brush. When I got to the end and had seen no deer, I walked back to my truck paying no heed at all to the noise I was making. I happened to look up at my truck as I neared it and there stood one of the biggest whitetails I have ever seen. Right beside the driver's door! Needless to say I was not expecting to see any deer with the wind now at my back sounding like D3 going through the brush, so I was not ready. When I saw him we locked eyes and he ran. I will never forget that lesson.

Banned

Deer are used to the noises they hear. You should try combining corn! They don't move! More than once we had to dig a deer out of the head.

Vendor Sponsor

Deer associate the sound of chainsaws with trees falling which brings them browse they could not normally reach. Acorns, Apples, Walnuts....
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

In Remembrance
    Years ago my wifes grandad shot a bear less than a hundred yards from where another guy and I had chainsaws bucking firewood.
    Just last week three moose browsed for a while right out in front of my log truck while I was getting loaded, finally ambling off towards where the feller buncher was dropping trees.

I have heard loggers claim that deer would wait till they dropped a tree to get at it, even while they were limbing it on years with a lot of snow.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know how many times we have had to call a cease fire at the range because of deer walking out on the range. There is a lot of grass and clover on the range and they stop to feed on it. Usualy does with their fawns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Deer are used to the noises they hear. You should try combining corn! They don't move! More than once we had to dig a deer out of the head.
    Combine is the dinner bell at the field I hunt. Didn't get the call the past two years when they were running it They come out in large numbers while it's running and for a day or two afterwards. It's almost cheating. But then again I'm sitting and waiting, not hunting.

Boolit Master

Most animals are curious and will check out a familiar sound that seems non threatening to them.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Combine is the dinner bell at the field I hunt. Didn't get the call the past two years when they were running it They come out in large numbers while it's running and for a day or two afterwards. It's almost cheating. But then again I'm sitting and waiting, not hunting.
    When we were kids, we would ride on the combine and shoot pheasants as they jumped up. Nowadays there are no pheasants here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Nowadays there are no pheasants here.
    Same here. Only reason we have a season is because they stock them. I'm right by the game lands where they stock the greatest number. It's not the same, they barely get off the ground. Modern farming practices have decimated their populations. But you never hear about this.

Banned

N, S Dakota have programs that if you take $ from the state you have to plant a certain amount of CRP type land. From my friends that go out there every year, they say there are still lots of birds. And The farmer has to let the general public onto the land also if they take the money. There are some exclusions the hunters have to follow but there is a ton of land available to hunt

In Remembrance
    Growing up in Texas, it was illegal to shoot from a tractor or combine, for just that reason.

I used to live close to a rice field, I do not know how many miles I have crawled on my belly through mud trying to sneak up on geese feeding in it. I was never successful enough to get in shotgun range, but you could get on a tractor and drive right up inthe middle of the flock, or even on horse back.

Boolit Master
    I have heard about deer responding to chainsaws before. My guess is that they figure if you're running a chainsaw, you're too busy to shoot at them.

Boolit Grand Master

Deer, Pheasants, woodchucks, squirrels and most animals are curious creatures in reality. A new smell or sound that isn't "out of place" and they have to see what it is. We have deer and one year a pheasant that came out every time we fired the saws up cleaning up fence rows and woods edges. They just watched us while we worked. Combines are the same. Working ground with a diesel tractor as long as it dosnt break routine you can get with in 10-20 yds of wood chucks. Deer will stand and watch it also. That old wily wood chuck will fall to a tractor working ground every time LOL. We had a old timer that burnt sandal wood insencense in his stand and took a deer every year

I live in a suburban neighborhood, but there's a large creek bottom running through here, and greenbelts & trails all over, deer are common here. Lately I've been seeing 3-5 really nice mulie bucks nearby, they hang out in a grassy area about 35 yards off a pretty busy road. Lots of noise and danger, they just lay there and watch the humans zooming by.

Banned

Deer in MI would be near pole cutters and feed after they left. Common to see a herd waiting.

Moderator Emeritus

One of our best deer stands was the deck off the kitchen that overlooked a ravine the deer used. They were used to doors opening and closing and people moving around. Best buck I ever got was from the kitchen deer stand in my stocking feet. Slide open the patio door, step out and shoot. Go put boots on and process deer after dragging it up with the tractor.

Boolit Master

Curiosity killed the cat or deer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Most animals are curious and will check out a familiar sound that seems non threatening to them.
    Try walking quietly and not making noise on the crispy stuff and they will be long gone. Make a racket and they seem to be curious as to whats going on
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    One of our best deer stands was the deck off the kitchen that overlooked a ravine the deer used. They were used to doors opening and closing and people moving around. Best buck I ever got was from the kitchen deer stand in my stocking feet. Slide open the patio door, step out and shoot. Go put boots on and process deer after dragging it up with the tractor.
    lol, that's funny. Best deer my step father ever shot was from the kitchen door. He went home after a week of unsuccessful hunting at camp and was sitting at the breakfast table drinking coffee when he saw a nice 8pt at his pond 50yrds from the back door. He said he got up, went downstairs and got his rifle, loaded up stairs and then opened the door and shot it in his bathrobe and slippers. I still have the picture where he got his hunting woolens on, took it out to camp and took the pictures there. We know the real story and it's always good for a laugh.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum