Load DataPBcastcoWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare sighting for my county

Banned

Rare sighting for my county

Neighbor seen a large black bear walking the road towards my direction the other day. I have seen tracks in the snow over the years so they must cross the river from MD.
    Everyone is shook up around here, don't know why.

In Remembrance

Talk about rare. We were coming home about 8:00 PM from a Farm Bureau meeting back in the late `60`s. As we passed a neighbors farm house near to us we saw a large black shape on his front porch tearing apart his boxes of bee honey he had worked all week to collect and jar. It was a bear, and here in the `Thumb` area where it had been 50+ years since one had been seen around here. In the last few years we have had blank panther sized creatures spotted and filmed, DNR is at a loss to explain it.Robert

Banned

Cougars are not supposed to be in WV but I seen one farther west.
    Big foot does not exist but we had experiences in Ohio with Grass Man.
    Not supposed to be any cotton mouth snakes in Ohio either, explain how my brother and I killed two in Carollton Ohio? They punctured all our fish on a stringer.
    The Neighbor here where the bear was seen, lost bee hives to a bear a few years back.

Boolit Grand Master
    Western Maryland's bear population is growing quickly. 20 years ago we never saw any, but now it's all the time.

Boolit Master
    The Minn. DNR flatly denies the existence of mountain lions in the state. They say that any pictures of long tailed cats are Bobcats.

Boolit Grand Master

More people means more eyes and less habitat to hide in. The movement of wildlife has been normal since the beginning of time.
    I was 40 years old before I ever saw a deer, groundhog, turkey, or Bobcat. Now they are common and becoming pests.
    Changing weather patterns and food sources cause all wildlife to be transient. Just another natural occurrence that liberals use to further their agendas.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned

I don't care about wildlife but Muslim hordes are a danger worse then liberals. They will breed by the millions to take over. My friend lives in MI and cities are taken over so you dare not enter. Police will not go in. I am sorry any Muslim believes the Koran that says to kill. God made the ten commandments that says only he has that power, not us. Allah wrote his way, Jesus died for us. Allah was a man, not a god. He was like the Aztecs to sacrifice for rain or crops. He was Jones that many killed themselves for. 17 Virgins are goats. I see sad pictures in papers of children held by women in ha bibs, indoctrinated to wear a bomb.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, it seems the situation here isn't all that unusual across the nation. Our DNR in Ga. says there are no "panthers" (black or otherwise) here, but there's a law against shooting them. I asked a game warden once why they had a law against shooting something that didn't exist, and he had no good answer, but we both laughed it off.

And DNR also says that we have no bears this far south, on the coastal plain, but in the last few years, we've had 3 killed in town on the bypass road that surrounds the town. Believe it or not, ambulances hit two of those! But then, there's a guy here locally who has bear hides tacked to the back of his barn, and has had them for many years now. He hunts the Savannah and Ogeechee River swamps.

There really ARE things in the swamps that you don't often see. It's kind'a their last refuge, and if I saw one, I wouldn't shoot it, unless in self defense, which isn't likely. I used to hunt with a few guys on some land we rented close to the river, and it had a creek running through it. One of them shot a black long tailed cat of very large size, that was eating our turkeys up at an alarming rate. He's an old backwoods type who grew up on and literally IN the river, and didn't like ANYTHING taking his turkeys! So it was "country boy self defense" of a certain fashion, I guess? I never saw the cat, but saw where he'd buried it, clearly, and he's NOT the type to dig a hole just to tell a tale. He shot it in the head at about 175 yds. with his #1 .243. It came out, looked around, sat down and started preening itself in the full sun. He eased the gun into position, as was his custom, and lined up, and when it stopped preening and stood up, he put the bullet right between its ears, taking the top of its head off.

Here, black long tailed cats are legendary, but very few have ever seen one. I've only seen two, but only one could have been black. It's amazing how fluidly they move - like water in those clear mountain streams flowing over rocks. Both sightings were at night in locales of "big woods." One was pretty clearly tawny, but one was very dark and could have been black, but at the angle the partial moon was, it could have just been the darkness of the shadowed side, too. I'm still awaiting my first sighting of a bear, a black cat, and a sasquatch here. They sure are shy! But they ARE here ..... at least the cat and bear are, anyway. Not sure about the squatches, but they're legendary here too. Ya' jes' nevah know whatcha' goan find in dem big woods an' swamps!

Sadly a quail is a rare sighting here. We hear the Chupacabras at night. Best, Thomas.

Banned

Smart critters abound. Not seen much but they are there. I once seen a bobcat in Ohio too. On the road to Chagrin Falls. Like seeing a UFO, nobody would believe me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Sadly a quail is a rare sighting here. We hear the Chupacabras at night. Best, Thomas.
    Lost our quail due to deep snow and ice on top. No pheasants either. Few rabbits.
    Is there a blood sucker? Must be from reports.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Cougars are not supposed to be in WV but I seen one farther west.
    Big foot does not exist but we had experiences in Ohio with Grass Man.
    Not supposed to be any cotton mouth snakes in Ohio either, explain how my brother and I killed two in Carollton Ohio? They punctured all our fish on a stringer.
    The Neighbor here where the bear was seen, lost bee hives to a bear a few years back.
    hey not too far away!! In Beaver Co PA .

Years ago My uncle and I had in object pass between us sounded like wind. We were in the woods on a south face grade. No wind, nice day and we were about 125-150 yards apart and then all hell broke loose. Sound was dishearting and the best I can say in was liken to a large animal on the move , with the sound of leaves in the air. Lasted about 30-45 sec. distance was 100-200 yards. Then there was no noise at all you would have heard a pin drop. We looked for one thing or an other thinking it was a deer ( herd ) but after two hours of looking, we found nothing over turned , no tracks, not broken trees, no path trough the under brush plants. We left shacking our heads. Only a few things it may have been, one a twister from the heat (there was not wind!!) , a bear ( No tracks), a bigger cat ( no tracks) , a group of turkey ( too early was back in 1985 or so and was no turkeys around , we should have been able to see them flush ), tree falling ( none looked fresh ) , A Ghost, big foot ??? That was the only time I have ever heard that type of sound. ???

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Lost our quail due to deep snow and ice on top. No pheasants either. Few rabbits.
    Is there a blood sucker? Must be from reports.
    Yes its called a Democrat
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Talk about rare. We were coming home about 8:00 PM from a Farm Bureau meeting back in the late `60`s. As we passed a neighbors farm house near to us we saw a large black shape on his front porch tearing apart his boxes of bee honey he had worked all week to collect and jar. It was a bear, and here in the `Thumb` area where it had been 50+ years since one had been seen around here. In the last few years we have had blank panther sized creatures spotted and filmed, DNR is at a loss to explain it.Robert
    Hey Hardcast, I'm over here in the Howell, Brighton, Pinckney area. Check out this video of a cat that doesn't exist here
    http://www.freep.com/videos/sports/o...4/30/83773980/
    Not the best quality cell phone video, but it's pretty obvious to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    The Minn. DNR flatly denies the existence of mountain lions in the state. They say that any pictures of long tailed cats are Bobcats.
    Did your DNR folks ever stop to wonder WHY they're called BOBcats? They don't have long tails...

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Yep, they deny it. Although I have seen video footage of one in a SW minnesota town captured by police dash cam.

I remember one day very very well. Good size patch of tree's, I was squirrel hunting. All of a sudden the hair went up on the back of my head. I got this feeling of being watched, sized up, and whatever decided I'd make good supper.

So I listened to my gut and hot footed back to my truck.

Went back a week later with the 20 gauge and a friend and we found a print too big for any bobcat to make.

This was NW Minnesota not too far from Ada.

They can deny all they want. I know better.

Boolit Master
    Ten years ago (maybe more) I was taking pictures on Weyerhaeuser land a few miles from Seattle and walked right into a band of three wolves rounding the bend of the old log road. From 30 feet my 22 Hornet felt a little small but the wolves fled. There are/were not supposed to be any wolves in Western Washington. The following week I told the Fish and Wildlife official and he said that if I ever told anyone else, I might never be able to fish, hunt, gold pan, or even go up there again. Nuff said!

Boolit Master
    No cougers in NY. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    No cougers in NY. Imagine that.
    They would never make it through Pa without getting killed ! Lol , there was a time there was the reason penn state has the Nittny lions and Pitt has the panthers as mascots about once a years or so there's a non confirmed by the game commission in Pa sighting of a eastern cougar /panther/ mountain lion there once was possibly still is but there's very few places in pa that hasn't seen a humam footstep and with as many hunters as we have even today not even counting in past generations that one hasn't been killed or other evidence of there still being around . Possible but unlikely but according to some big foot is all over the chestnut and laurel ridges ! Lol
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

I would park on a gravel coal haul rd and something slammed my truck at about 12 midnight. I slept on an old door across the bed where the cap was. One night I was knocked off. Never seen damage or tracks. I thought it was deer. Silver truck.
    Then we used my old Blazon camper at the cemetery across the road. One night Ken woke me and asked if it was me. I said 'What" but seen the camper drop in the front. He said it was shaking. I thought the wheel fell from the 4X4 I had it on. Went out to pee at 2 and it was on the wood OK. That camper was HEAVY. Next night we stayed up eating crackers and peanut butter with beer. We heard running down the hill and a slam into the camper side. Bigfoot ran around the truck and came on the other side to hit the steel steps that pulled out and let out a scream as it fell, ran back up and again came back to slam the side. When home my daughter found reddish hair on the step, Before DNA stuff so it was lost.
    Ken wanted to go out and see but we only had bows, said NO, anything that can lift the trailer and shake it is not to be confronted.
    This was at Cadiz Ohio, not far from Salt Fork. Coal mining area with high walls and lakes. Rough country. Loaded with monster deer. Salt Fork is known for the Grass man.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast