MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Political Correctness

When the letters run together with no spacing, I put the beer away and go lie down for a while till it wears off.

Boolit Master

I haven't had that problem yet. I've had words misspell themselves but I can't blame that on beer, and it even happens on paper so if it's a glitch it's in the old gray computer. I don't know if that's a software problem, or obsolete hardware.

I've always felt like I'm missing out on something, because I really don't care for beer. I've really tried a number of times but I just don't like the taste.

I was in Taiwan for a while a few years back, and found it interesting that the prominent beer there was aptly named "Taiwan Beer". A couple times they even brought beer in for the crew at work on lunch hour. They insisted that I try the pineapple and mango flavored beer. It wasn't my thing, for sure.

Pineapple and mango flavored beer??????????????
    That sounds disgusting.

Boolit Master

Bringing back some memories...

No, I didn't care for it, but most of the Taiwanese guys seemed to like it. We all went out one night, indoor "fishing" in the middle of the city. They had two cement pools in a big open room; one stocked with shrimp and the other bullfrogs. They would all sit around the pools with little fishing poles. There was a kitchen where you take your catch to be cooked, then everyone would sit around eating frog legs and shrimp and drinking Taiwan beer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    My original post was done in a light hearted manner and certain liberties were taken with precise terminology. Drink in the spirit of the post without swallowing the gnats of precision.

Boolit Master
    I've had my sentences run together with no spacing for paragraphs once recently. I haven't had any edit function at all for many months.
    No edit function is particularly vexing because two of my cats will spring on the PC table and run across the key board without warning while I'm posting. Three of them took turns at this last night while I was ordering parts online and I was so distracted I drank half a cup of hot water before realizing I had not added the instant coffee.
    The parts order went through okay though.

I think the main reason some consider correct nomenclature something to get bent out of shape over is that many more people these days spent far longer in schools where teachers of most courses harped on it constantly. Plus some consider posting online to be "publishing" and themselves to be "authors", as if they were writing books. More than a few like to think every post they make is equal in importance to a magazine story or news paper article. Which is doubly funny since most online news publications are rife with misspellings and other errors.

Personally I struggle with grammar. After nearly dying from a post operative infection I found I could barely read and could no longer write much beyond signing my own name and actually forgot how to spell my middle name. It took years of effort to get this good at writing, improvement was slow and erratic.
    I sometimes forget the meanings of words that I don't use often enough.
    The main reason I began visiting forums was to try to improve my communication skills.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That sounds disgusting.
    Even their regular beer is not that great. It *might* be better than the mass market beers that we have here (e.g. Bud, Coors, etc), but that's not saying much. I did stumble across one microbrewery / brew-pub when I was there. It was run by an American and the beer was good enough, but it still catered to the Taiwan tastes. For example, they consider it a good attribute for a beer to be young and not aged.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    But I do know the most important requests in both languages: "Zwei bier, bitte", and "Dos cervazas, por favor."
    I have spent extended periods of time in Mexico and survived quite well with only knowing the following two phrases:

"Dos cervezas, por favor" and
    "¿Baño?"

Boolit Master
    So, here's a question: is it also political correctness to expect "bullet" to mean the projectile and not the entire cartridge, with the projectile being referred to as a "head?"

Because when I hear that, I won't tell you what it makes me think. Hint: it's not "here's a veteran shooter and reloader who is shunning political correctness and using old-school terminology."

Boolit Master

And there are those who claim that the term for a revolver is a "pistol" and a semi-auto is a "handgun". I always consider "pistol" and "handgun" to be equivalent and if you wanted to differentiate between them, you said "revolver" or "semi-auto". But, as an engineer, I'm inclined to be accurate in my language since when you're not, it will come back to bite you.

Boolit Master

is it also political correctness to expect "bullet" to mean the projectile and not the entire cartridge, with the projectile being referred to as a "head?"
    It is pretty annoying to see or hear people talk about "bullet heads". It's a pretty sure indication of someone who knows little or nothing about reloading. Another one that gets me is "swagging" as opposed to "swaging". I've seen it quite a bit; I think that swag, swagger, and swagging actually mean something different than they think, and it has nothing to do with forming bullets. Didn't we also have a big thread a while back on the subject of "smelting"?

And then there's the incorrect use of punctuation, especially the apostrophe. Why do so many people use an apostrophe to indicate plurality?? I don't consider myself a grammar nazi, but that one really bugs me.

Incorrect terminology is indicative of a lack of knowledge or understanding of the subject at hand; it doesn't necessarily mean that a person is an idiot or a fool. It's considered bad form to be a grammar nazi, but it's acceptable, even expected, to jump on the guy who misuses the word "clip". Out come the obligatory clever explanations, videos, and memes to show the difference.

I guess it's just because "clip" in reference to a magazine was in such common usage and considered acceptable for so long that it's prevalent, giving us lots of opportunity to talk about it. No, common usage doesn't make it right or technically correct by any means, but we know what people are talking about in context.

My grandpa taught me about guns for the most part, and it was always a clip: "Does your 22 rifle have a tube magazine or a clip magazine?" I didn't learn until much later that that's incorrect. (It's actually a "detachable box magazine", not a clip.)

If I'm at a gun shop or gun show I'll watch my language carefully, but around family and friends I'll still use "clip" now and then just because that's how I was taught. They know what I mean and don't judge me for it.

That said, I have taught my kids that it's OK to say clip around me, but be careful to call it a magazine around "gun people" or they'll think you're a stupid hillbilly.
    Last edited by fatelk; 01-29-2017 at 04:58 PM.

I've listened to some fair shooters & loaders of ammo in the north east refer to a bullet as a head. This is the only place I've heard the term. Probably a slang instead of ignorance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    I've listened to some fair shooters & loaders of ammo in the north east refer to a bullet as a head. This is the only place I've heard the term. Probably a slang instead of ignorance.
    Like the difference between the various names for a certain type of sandwich served on a long bread roll -- submarine, sub, hoggie, hero, po'boy, hoagie, etc.

Boolit Master
    That sounds disgusting.
    Fruit flavored beers are for girls. I can say that as my daughter likes them and one time I asked her to fill a growler for me and she came back with an apricot beer :O That's the last time I'll ask her to order my beer

Question arises: is pearl worse than steel reserve because that is the some of the most vile stuff I have ever tasted. Can only think of one other worse at the momment.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Like the difference between the various names for a certain type of sandwich served on a long bread roll -- submarine, sub, hoggie, hero, po'boy, hoagie, etc.
    Exactly.

Boolit Master
    I hear the term bullet , and bullet tips quite often but never bullet head . It's ok with me . Around here we call things differently sometimes . As far as beer no green bottles or fruity stuff but bourbon is preferred .

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't tasted Pearl beer so cannot say for sure, but back in the day there was a cheap beer(if you could call it that) called Red White & Blue beer. It was a nasty as it got. Especially after being left out over night in freezing weather then thawed out.
    As far as nasty named beer, I had big frosty glass of Moose Drool once when visiting my sister in Montana. It was actually pretty good. Not certain what that says about my taste though.
    Northern Brewer makes a really nice clone of Moose Drool called Caribou Slobber. I brewed up a batch of it for a friends and family get together. It proved to be quite popular.

Bad beers.....

Tsing Tao, had some sort of formaldehyde aftertaste. I took one sip and then tossed the entire six pack in the dumpster.

Rolling Rock. Take a whizz in a gravel driveway and watch it roll down the rocks. Collect, filter if you're feeling generous, and bottle.

Kilroy's list of approved cheap beers:

Stroh's. Not bad, my preferred cheap go to when I can find it.

Schaeffer, it's the beer to have if you're having more than one.

National Bohemian. An ice cold 12 pack and a bag of crab claws and you're set.

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Darn hipsters driving the price up! A 30 pack on ice in a Coleman cooler at a bonfire, the only question is redneck or rednekkid?

Yuengling Premium Beer. $14 for a 24 pack and has a decent taste.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    You're probably right. Here I am looking down on people who call bullets something different, while defending my own use of "clip". I guess that's a bit of a double standard on my part. I suppose I shouldn't consider anyone ignorant until they prove it, huh?

Banned

I load rounds, and a loaded round is not a bullet. Feed your clip with rounds, NOT bullets. A magazine holds rounds, A clip is not a part of the gun. A tube magazine is never a clip. Groove is never bore so get over it. Say what you mean. A pistol is not a revolver either and to call a revolver a pistol is wrong.
    We understand mistakes so when you say "my bore is .308"" you are wrong but you are without knowledge. Press 1 for English all others go home. God I hate the junk. Live here and speak English.