Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reloading With Mixed Powders ?

Banned
    Yeah, don't use it in a cannon. Youre looking for boom, not kaboom.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, we built the cannon and I believe it would stand the pressure. But to err on caution, no, we won't do it. Its just too much risk.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if we get in it with Russia some contaminated powder would be pretty far down the list of necessary items.
    Yep, "Red Dawn" is a fantasy. If it came to a shootin' confrontation the fellers in Washington and Moscow would jes be pushing buttons...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    I dont think either side would be using nukes. Putin condemns the US for using them in Japan, and seems to value life. He knows that the American people arent on the side of the American government, and doesnt want to harm civilians. There are enough Americans who want the US.gov overthrown, that the Russians would have a lot of help from US citizens who would see their invasion as a means to the end of US tyranny.

Thinking that there wouldnt be riflemen in a US soil fight, is like when back in Vietnam, they thought they didnt need a gun on a fighter jet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    I dont think either side would be using nukes. Putin condemns the US for using them in Japan, and seems to value life. He knows that the American people arent on the side of the American government, and doesnt want to harm civilians. There are enough Americans who want the US.gov overthrown, that the Russians would have a lot of help from US citizens who would see their invasion as a means to the end of US tyranny.

Thinking that there wouldnt be riflemen in a US soil fight, is like when back in Vietnam, they thought they didnt need a gun on a fighter jet.
    Putin is doing a fine job in Syria. Many are allowed to leave and seek refuge in other countries. We have been "blessed" with some coming here to find safety with infidels.

Seriously...Putin has only one interest....Russia. He would destroy us in a second IF he could get away with it.

Don Verna

Banned
    The only exception is the old Keith trick of 10 gr of 2400 under 60 gr of FFG in a 45-70 proofed for nitro.

Even that is obsolete now that we have Alliant Black which shoots well, makes smoke and smells good.

One smokeless round after 20 of these removes 95% of the fouling.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The above discussion falls into the "Hold my beer and watch this!...." category aka "How to Blow Up Yur Gun"

I use junk mixed powders blended with Vaseline and drier lint for fire starting fuel, which is easy to light with a ferro rod and produces a good hot flame which doesn't get blown out in the wind and is a reliable igniter on cold rainy days...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    yellow jacket nest, tomato fertilizer, I guess surely you're joking but if it was a legit question these guys that came across real strong did so for a reason, and it's not because they don't like you
    Coming across real strong on this issue is perfectly reasonable. It was an idea that can get people hurt, and although the OP didn't need a lot of convincing, there will always be people who haven't posted, but will only remember in a year or two's time "I saw this idea talked about on the internet once."

I might have glimpsed somebody coming across real weak, but hardly anybody

Boolit Master
    He knows that the American people arent on the side of the American government, and doesnt want to harm civilians. There are enough Americans who want the US.gov overthrown, that the Russians would have a lot of help from US citizens who would see their invasion as a means to the end of US tyranny.
    Though the above quote hasn't a darn thing to do with the thread subject, I at first found the comment to be dumb but funny, then realized just how sad it really was. Scares the heck out of me that a gun owner might actually think this way.

Banned
    We live in a nation where you can lose your business for not baking a cake, you can go to jail for self medication or drinking milk, or dancing at a monument, you have to get a license to exercise a right, and might get raided for saying this or that online, California gun laws..., if you have anxiety and need SSI you cant own a gun, oaths mean nothing, and there is a lot more.
    Last edited by BlackoutBuilder; 01-18-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Banned
    What bothers me about most gun owners, is that they dont know what the Second Amendment is really for.

Back to the OP. if you have fire ants, pour it on the mound, stir lightly with a stick to piss them off, then light it and laugh maniacally. But don't reload with it. Ever. No. Best, Thomas.

I'm with Oklahoma Rebel. Make you a nice hole somewhere. Cheaper than tannerite too.

You are joking right?? Putin has probably killed more civilians than most 3rd world country dictators. He is a criminal & thug.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    The only "fighter" in Nam that lacked a gun was the F-4 which really wasn't much of a turn and burn fighter.

All other USAF and Navy "fighters" had guns. Most air to air shootdowns by both sides were not done with guns.

The lesson was learned and the F-4 was retro fitted and every fighter since has had a gun.

The Russian have neither the tools nor the desire to invade the USA. B.O.B. obviously missed the part about all the Boomers we have out there. I'm far more concerned about snowflakes and their enablers than the Russians.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Bought a 1 lb bottle of Little gun not too long after they started making it . Loaded 12 gr with 35 gr V maxe's . That was below their stated max for that combo. First shot fired and the bolt had to be pounded open . You could read Winchester 218 Bee on the bolt face but no longer could it be read on the head of the case . Thought it was my mistake so I fired one more . Same results . Called Hodgdon and George said to send him 12 loaded rounds to test and he would get back with me . I did and he did . He said he tested one load as sent and his pressure rig would not read it so he unloaded one and used half the charge for the next test . Still tested off the chart. He wanted to know if I used any TiteGroup , I said yes . He said you have mixed Titegroup and Little Gun . I said no , it was loaded from a new un opened pound of Little gun and I never have but one powder on the bench at a time so I could not have mixed it . Could not convince him . He said they could not possibly mix it as they only have one powder on line at any one time so there would be no way they could have mixed it . I thanked him and hung up.

One week later the head man from Hodgdon called me and told me there had been some more complaints following mine and that he would send me two pounds of Little Gun and replacement components for the ones I sent them . One week later I received 2 lbs Little gun, 200 Winchester .218 Bee cases and a sleeve of 10 boxes of 35 gr V max bullets . He also sent a head space gauge for my Model 43 Winchester . Luckily the rifle had no lasting damage . Yes , I also got an apology call from George .

I would not ever for any reason or amount of money ever shoot mixed powder on purpose . I do not let it accumulate . When I break old ammo down for components I scrap the powder as soon as the last round is dumped . I also do not dump it in any kind of glass or metal container. Knew two kids that died breaking down fire crackers into a mason jar when I was a kid and I ain't forgot the lesson they never got to learn. You do what you want but it ain't worth it to me.

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Bought a 1 lb bottle of Little gun not too long after they started making it . Loaded 12 gr with 35 gr V maxe's . That was below their stated max for that combo. First shot fired and the bolt had to be pounded open . You could read Winchester 218 Bee on the bolt face but no longer could it be read on the head of the case . Thought it was my mistake so I fired one more . Same results . Called Hodgdon and George said to send him 12 loaded rounds to test and he would get back with me . I did and he did . He said he tested one load as sent and his pressure rig would not read it so he unloaded one and used half the charge for the next test . Still tested off the chart. He wanted to know if I used any TiteGroup , I said yes . He said you have mixed Titegroup and Little Gun . I said no , it was loaded from a new un opened pound of Little gun and I never have but one powder on the bench at a time so I could not have mixed it . Could not convince him . He said they could not possibly mix it as they only have one powder on line at any one time so there would be no way they could have mixed it . I thanked him and hung up.

One week later the head man from Hodgdon called me and told me there had been some more complaints following mine and that he would send me two pounds of Little Gun and replacement components for the ones I sent them . One week later I received 2 lbs Little gun, 200 Winchester .218 Bee cases and a sleeve of 10 boxes of 35 gr V max bullets . He also sent a head space gauge for my Model 43 Winchester . Luckily the rifle had no lasting damage . Yes , I also got an apology call from George .

I would not ever for any reason or amount of money ever shoot mixed powder on purpose . I do not let it accumulate . When I break old ammo down for components I scrap the powder as soon as the last round is dumped . I also do not dump it in any kind of glass or metal container. Knew two kids that died breaking down fire crackers into a mason jar when I was a kid and I ain't forgot the lesson they never got to learn. You do what you want but it ain't worth it to me.

Eddie
    Thanks for sharing your story. I really enjoyed reading it.

Banned
    As did I. One more reason to load with Hodgdon powders.

Because of the Hodgdon mission statement, I decided to use Hodgdon powders exclusively.

As it is, I have a half can or so of A-1680, when that runs out, I'll be switching to CFE BLK. As it is, I use H-4895 in the AR, and the M1A, HS-6 in the .40, and will of course, use CFE BLK in the Blackout.

MISSION STATEMENT

Hodgdon Powder Company operates following Biblical principles to honor God. Our mission is to provide quality products and services in a manner which enhances the lives of our employees, familes, customers, suppliers, and our communities. In doing so, we deal with integrity and honesty, reflecting that people are more important than dollars, and that our purpose is to bring credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.

As did I. One more reason to load with Hodgdon powders.

Because of the Hodgdon mission statement, I decided to use Hodgdon powders exclusively.

As it is, I have a half can or so of A-1680, when that runs out, I'll be switching to CFE BLK. As it is, I use H-4895 in the AR, and the M1A, HS-6 in the .40, and will of course, use CFE BLK in the Blackout.

MISSION STATEMENT

Hodgdon Powder Company operates following Biblical principles to honor God. Our mission is to provide quality products and services in a manner which enhances the lives of our employees, familes, customers, suppliers, and our communities. In doing so, we deal with integrity and honesty, reflecting that people are more important than dollars, and that our purpose is to bring credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.
    I didn't know that was their mission statement. Really cool!