MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MCD ProductsTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything

Thread: Rolling Block boolit selection

Rolling Block boolit selection

I'm in the market for a boolit mould for my 45-70 Rolling Block, last year I checked the Rate of twist and got 1 in 16". I have only shot 300grs. and 405's out of it so far. The 300 grs. shoot extremely low so I went to the 405 grs. which shoot better for the sights (rear tang + barrel express) that I have. I'm currently shooting a 405gr. ontop of a SPG grease cookie with 60grs. of Swiss FFg. I might be interesting in atleast trying about a 350 gr. boolit to she how she performs as well before I buy a mould. Any thoughts? (Info) My Rolling Block is a Huskvarna reveiver that appartenly was re-barreled, unsure of barrel maker. I also have a Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70. I would be interested in possibly trading some factory 405 gr. boolits for some 340-375 gr boolits to test, give me a PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings... I would think with a 1-16 twist you could shoot any Boolit you desire. I have a Navy Arms RB rebarreled with a Bauska 1-18 twist and it will shoot well with 300 up to 500 grain. My 155 pound body prefers the 450 grain and less. I never tried the 550 range but those Spitzer pointy nose boolits sure would be good for longer that 500 yards. 500 yards was all the range we had at the river so I did not need any more lead.

Boolit Master
    I had a Rem RB in 7X57 MM and had a 45-70 built on it. 1 in 18 barrel and I use the lee 500
    3R. It does very well.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.