Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 Accuracy Improving

Moderator Emeritus

The old '06 IS probably the finest "all around" caliber ever developed. It wasn't developed to be that. It's just how it all eventually worked out. I believe Elanor O'Connor shot her lion with the '06 and 220 gr. bullets way back when. It's also been used on buff and elephants and rhino when folks got caught in a bad situation unexpectedly, and it was all they HAD to "fight" with. However, it DOES also represent about the maximum limit many folks can tolerate on the recoil end of it. I don't know how many guys I've known who missed a deer, and said it wasn't enough, got a .300 mag., and were afraid to pull the trigger on it. Many of them never hit a deer with it because they jerked the trigger, and missed even WORSE than they had with an '06. We seem to be becoming progressively less tolerant of recoil, but in an 8 lb. sporter, with a pad, it ought to be tolerable by most shooters who are willing to learn the discipline necessary to overcome their fears of recoil. Muzzle blast is also a factor in perception of recoil, and many react more to that than the actual recoil. Most of those insist on shooting without muffs - a very foolish and far too "macho" situation!

But many have put forth the precept that accuracy is NOT a function of caliber, but of the rifle's fit and the precision with which it's built. Square and concentric chambers are always an asset. Throat dimensions can be a factor. But mostly, accuracy is just a function and result of all the care and precision built into the gun by the 'smith who does the work. It's that extra precision and detail work that makes "real" target rifles so much more expensive and accurate than off-the-shelf sporters made en masse for the average shooter. The loads you feed it, and their OAL and other specs, also play into the equation, and it takes some actual shooting to find out what your own, personal, individual rifle wants in order to shoot its best. There are some general guidelines, like neck sizing cases where possible, charge wt. and specific bullet and its jump to the rifling (if any), etc., etc., etc.

There's a reason the same shooters tend to always find their names at or near the top in matches, and mostly, it's really just a matter of how they manage the details - the "little things" that many are too impatient to attend to - that makes them so consistently at or near the top of the winners' lists. Accuracy is a goal, not a destination. Its pursuit will always be tenuous. I've seen many who just selected some arbitrary load, shot it, and if it didn't shoot, blamed the rifle. That's not how one finds accuracy, usually. It's found by first off, getting as well made a rifle as one can afford, and it's quite surprising how off-the-shelf guns perform with a little knowledgeable experimenting. I've seen them shoot 3/8" groups for FIVE shots, and do it consistently. 5/8" isn't uncommon IF the shooter works up his loads properly and tests various bullets. Sub-MOA is common. BUT .... you DO have to develop your loads to match what your rifle likes. It's all "hard work," at least in the mind of most today. I always looked at it as fun and interesting, and an excuse to shoot more, and learn something from it - at least for that particular rifle. I once found that Hornady Light Magnums in 150 gr. shot better than my traditional loads - a very embarassing situation! But its throat was pretty worn, and I rebarreled it. Now, it'll shoot like it's got eyes! Still an '06, but with a Shilen barrel now.

Accuracy is always going to be a goal, and one that can be elusive unless we learn a good bit about what causes it to be enhanced in most rifles. And even then, you'll encounter some that will defy the "rules," and want something you'd never have expected to shoot its best. If anyone has ever figured out why this is, let me know. I've heard theories, but no real "answers." Testing on target will always be the ONLY way to establish what a rifle will shoot, and what it doesn't particularly like. And that's just how it is, unless someone has found a better way.

Boolit Master
    Well said Blackwater spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
    Does anyone know why 30-06 isn't inherently less accurate than .308 Win?
    If I was building your 30-06 for accuracy.. Reamer would be the Serengeti match from PTG, barrel would be a Broughton, or Krieger. Twist would not be a 1-10, if your goal is to shoot heavier than 150/168grs to the 180grs I would recommend 1-12 to even as slow as 1-13" if you was staying with the 150ish I would go to 1-4 to maybe even 1-15 depending on your goals. On bore and groove while the .298x307 is definitely the palma boys choice and not a bad one. I would say the 300x308 would be the one to use.
    The 1-10 twist is useful for the 200ish plus weight.

Every time I hear a 308 is inherently more accurate than the 30-06 I will 90 percent of the time tear that 308 shooters soul out of whack with a 30-06, the other 10 percent I'll tie him. Top performing loads in accuracy are not at the max speed usually top speed = more recoil= stress and fatigue on the shooter. So reduced, comfortable accurate loads for the shorter to midrange distances (100- 600 yards) are the order of the day. Only turn the beast loose for those long range shots 1000 plus yards.
    More marksmanship trophies have fell to the 30-06 than any other cartridge.

Boolit Master
    most may not believe this ,but I have a savage axis 30-06 that will shoot 3/4" five shot groups at 200yards Stock gun my trigger job ,Boyds stock and careful hand loads. 165gr spbt at 2850fps

Boolit Master

All I know is I enjoy both calibers. If the military still had the 30-06 as standard issue - most world records would be currently held with the 30-06, as the Service Team Members know how to shoot and their Armorers know how to put together a match rifle.

I've only used Remington 700 actions for builds - trued/blueprinted whatever, Match grade barrels from several different makers, several different stocks and what I found was some barrels shot better than others - even from the same barrel maker but the bedding blocks and bedding had to be perfect.

The longer the range, the better the rifleman had to be - I always knew my rifle could shoot better than I could hold but that's the way I wanted it, so I could get better - problem being, I never got good enough.

Vendor Sponsor

I would think this "Target Rifle" would be at least 10 lbs and at that weight recoil shouldn't be a issue.

Also there are recoil pads which do a pretty good job of knocking it down.

just sayin'

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com