RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Political Correctness

Boolit Master

The 1st Semi-Auto .45ACP pistol I shot was in the Corps and it was a Colt 1911 in the 1970's. Yes a genuine 1911 not a 1911A1. For some reason the Corps still had some floating around in the Armory's.

There are only two beers I've come across worse than PEARL, they were OB (Oriental Breweries) and Tiger P*SS (Sorry mods that really is the name of the Beer).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Man
    Never have I corrected someone that calls a magazine a clip. If I ever do, please one of you gentleman, punch me in the throat.

I am so sick to death of someone calling it a clip and some keyboard warrior just frothing at the mouth to correct the terminology.

Boolit Master
    The first Colt 45 auto was made in 1905. When the military wanted the Colt 45 auto with a grip and thumb safety it was made in 1911 that why it called a 1911 Colt 45 auto. To seperated it from the 1905 model at that time in 1911. I think the word magazine and clip started in WW11 with the M1 Garand do you call them clip or Magazine i think most GI call them clips. They are not really stripper clips nor are they magazine.

Boolit Man
    It is a bullet doohickey.

I haven't tasted Pearl beer so cannot say for sure, but back in the day there was a cheap beer(if you could call it that) called Red White & Blue beer. It was a nasty as it got. Especially after being left out over night in freezing weather then thawed out.
    As far as nasty named beer, I had big frosty glass of Moose Drool once when visiting my sister in Montana. It was actually pretty good. Not certain what that says about my taste though.

Boolit Master

I don't know about you Char Gar - drinking Dos Xs when Tecate is available. Squeezing lime on top and then a good dose of salt and that liquid is refreshing as the sky blue waters. I did a few months around Los Fresno and muchos cases of Tecate, dozens of limes and a pound of salt helped pass the time.

Como frijole chamaco was our slang saying back then for "how have you been kid" - the kids would give us a puzzled look.

G. Jager I got a cold "Tsingau" crevesa sitting beside my Norinco .45 acp model of 1911, ach du lieber Gott im Himmel, Five fang

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Mo objected to the word Garage because it sounded French. When asked what he called it he replied "the car hole".

I noticed that the manual for the 1911 used the term Magazine rather than clip.
    If you had an M1 Carbine and asked for an M1 clip you might be handed a M1 Garand enbloc clip. If you asked for clips for a Colt .45 you might end up with a handful of half moon clips for the revolver.
    Clip pouches on a ammunition belt are for enbloc clips or stripper clips, not box magazines, magazines go in the magazine pouches.

That said, so long as the person you are speaking to knows what you mean then exact nomenclature (geez another French sounding word) is unimportant.
    Ordinarily I think of a single row magazine as a clip and a double row as a magazine. A pistol magazine is basically a enbloc clip with its own self contained spring and lifter.

I have noticed the opportunity for confusion when speaking of Gun Magazines, meaning the printed soft cover journals on the subject of guns. To get around that I just call them Gun Rags most of the time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Mo objected to the word Garage because it sounded French. When asked what he called it he replied "the car hole".

I noticed that the manual for the 1911 used the term Magazine rather than clip.
    If you had an M1 Carbine and asked for an M1 clip you might be handed a M1 Garand enbloc clip. If you asked for clips for a Colt .45 you might end up with a handful of half moon clips for the revolver.
    Clip pouches on a ammunition belt are for enbloc clips or stripper clips, not box magazines, magazines go in the magazine pouches.

That said, so long as the person you are speaking to knows what you mean then exact nomenclature (geez another French sounding word) is unimportant.
    Ordinarily I think of a single row magazine as a clip and a double row as a magazine. A pistol magazine is basically a enbloc clip with its own self contained spring and lifter.

I have noticed the opportunity for confusion when speaking of Gun Magazines, meaning the printed soft cover journals on the subject of guns. To get around that I just call them Gun Rags most of the time.
    So my M1 Garands use 8 round magazines because the rounds are double stacked? And the efforts to expand M1 Garand capacity prior to the creation of the M-14 used a 10 or 20 round "Clip"?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Correct me if I am wrong but I fail to see where using proper terminology is political correctness

Boolit Grand Master

Correct terminology has changed over the years.

I know what the proper terminology for clips and magazines is and which is which, but as far as I'm concerned them good 'ol boys down near the border can have it any way they want!

By the way--ever seen any of Char-Gar's man stopper .38 Special reloads? Wouldn't ever want to give him any trouble!

Boolit Master
    "So my M1 Garands use 8 round magazines because the rounds are double stacked? "
    Nope you have it backwards.
    What I said was "Ordinarily I think of a single row magazine as a clip and a double row as a magazine".
    I thought it was clear that I was speaking of pistol magazines. You know, the stick thing you shove in the bullet hole in the grabber on er.

Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I fail to see where using proper terminology is political correctness
    My original post was done in a light hearted manner and certain liberties were taken with precise terminology. Drink in the spirit of the post without swallowing the gnats of precision.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Dad and grandfathers were all Army vets and lifelong hunters. They all called detachable mags "clips".
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My Dad and grandfathers were all Army vets and lifelong hunters. They all called detachable mags "clips".
    Did either of them miss what they were shooting at, because they didn't have magazines?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

This is my rifle

This is my gun

And on it goes.

This Glock has a magazine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magazine1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	186290

This rifle has a clip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11h89a9.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	186291

Maybe that'll clear things up around here.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy
    To some , a magazine is secure room/bunker to store large quantities of munition or components.

Once I was informed in no uncertain terms that what I had in my hands was not a gun, it was a rifle. A gun, it seems, is a shotgun.

Then there was the fellow at Quantico who schooled me rather brusquely on the same topic. Only difference was, this time what I had was not a gun, it was a weapon. As in "this is my weapon,...."