Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Suggest a scope for my Marlin 1894SS

Suggest a scope for my Marlin 1894SS

I've been playing musical scopes on my Marlins and am looking for a new scope for my 1894SS. It currently has a 3x9x40 Leupold Rifleman on it now but it just looks, well, too big. I'm partial to Leupolds and am thinking one of the 1.5-5x or 1-4x shotgun scopes would look good, but am open to other suggestions as well. I would prefer to have it in matte but gloss would also work. What say the experts??
    Last edited by kingstrider; 09-08-2008 at 05:47 AM.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    I have had very good results with my Leupold VX-2 1-4 on my 1980 vintage 1894. I used Leupold PRW rings and a Warne base. Much smaller than a 3-9 but in the Indiana deer woods it is all that I will need. The rifle is shooting RD 265 with good groups using 21 grains of Lil Gun.

I retired my shotgun this year as the state now lets us use 44 mag in rifles and the price of Winchester sabots was getting way to expensive to practice with.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Burris 4x Timberline. It's what I'm putting on my 375 Marlin. Simple, compact, clear optics, good eye relief, matte and modestly priced.

Another vote for the Leupold 1-4x20. I have one on my Guide Gun and it has proved to be ideal for that gun. I wish I could afford to put one on all my Marlins. Second choice would be the Weaver 1-3x.

I've used the Weaver 1-3x, and Nikon 1-4x scopes mostly on my carbines, and like them both very much. Once you get used to having a little less power, you will really like it in most situations. I have put larger scopes on them for load development, but don't care for the looks, or handling of the guns set up that way. On the other hand, my Marlin 1895 45-70 seems large enough without any scope at all! Right now I'm trying a Williams receiver sight, and firesight front on that one. I may trade it for a GG and put a straight Weaver 2.5x on it. They are really light.

+1 for the Weavers. I have almost all of the V series (V3, V7, V16, V24). And the clarity in the V3 is second to none. It's light (10oz) so it doesn't interferre with the handling.

But personally I have a leupold M2.5 scout scope on my 1894. Doesn't interfere with the carying of the rifle at it's natural point (grasping around the reciever)

I'm with you on that, can't even picture what a 1894 looks like with a 3x9 on it.....

Boolit Buddy
    I have three in mind, depending what power you prefer. Leupolds: 1.5-5, 1.75-6. and 2.5-8
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Bub
    Check out the Leupold 2.5x Used to be an M-8, now it's called an FX-II Ultralight.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=998758

This is my favorite scope ever. 5 inches of eye relief, 6.5 ounces and very crisp and clear. I've used them on bolt actions and an M1-A, but never a lever action. I just went and measured though...it may have a bit TOO much eye relief, depending on where your cheek weld is. A one-piece Weaver/picatinny base would fix that, though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...701***12996***

Also, there's a choice between wide duplex and a heavy duplex reticle. Mine's the wide...sounds like the heavy may be too thick, but ???

I know it's not a levergun, but it's the only pic I have right now...It'll give you an idea, at least. The little humps are flip-up see-through lens covers.
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-09-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Not a Leupold, but this here's on the forum right now. Sounds promising.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=35845