Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 Gauge Slugs

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post
    Anyone know where I can purchase a 16 Ga. slug mold?

Marc In VA.
    I have a Lyman 16ga. slug mold NIB.

I'll try to find it (we moved to a new house two months ago and I'm just now starting to see my casting stuff, though the closest I've gotten is 4 ft away)

I don't know what it's worth, but E-mail me and let's talk.

Mark

Boolit Buddy

Question 16ga slugs?

Did anyone ever find out about getting 16ga slugs? I know this thread is old, but I am looking for some for my 16ga.
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Mold

.16 GA slug

Hi.

I am from Denmark in Europe, so i hope you can read/understand my English writing!!!

About slug moulds for .16 ga. -Just use a .12 ga slug from the LEE slug mould, but WITHOUT the plastik shotcup, the .12 ga LEE slug will fit in the .16 ga hull just fine, make sure that your .16 GA shotgun has a CYLINDER CHOKE (constriction .000")

I have tested the .12 ga slug in my 90 year old VERY USED .16 ga S/S hammer shotgun and it works great.

You can allso use a .60 caliber LEE roundball with a plastik shotcup, that will allso do just fine!

Greetings from Denmark

kopke38

Boolit Buddy
    Kopke38,

Thanks, problem is I have a full choke on this single, the exit bore is .640, Not real sure what to do about it right now. What is the dia. of that 12ga. slug?

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Grand Master

You might think about a round ball mould if you can't find a suitable slug mould.

0.662" is nominal bore size for 16 ga. and is exactly 1 oz. in pure lead ~ you couldn't shoot it through a choke though. What you might look at are the 0.600" or 0.610" in a shotcup. Just make sure the ball plus 2 times the petal thickness isn't more than a few thou over choke diameter.

Check out Track Of the Wolf:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(pb0...26&styleID=411

I have been having pretty good success with RB's in 12 ga., both bore size and undersize in a shotcup. Accuracy isn't spectacular at around 4" groups at 50 yards but it is generally better than any home cast Foster slugs I have tried and I think a little more playing with wads and loads will do a bit better.

Quick to cast and easy to load.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    You could try the Rapine 660500 mold for 12 ga. I think you could make a rifling die to fit a relaoding press to make it pass through chokes. The Die would need to be broached with keyways to shave the lead. It would be a straight fin rifling. All you are trying to do is lessen the bore contact area. A 20ga lyman mold could be bored out to your diameter. Perhaps Buckshot could help you? An email to him might be in order.
    Greg 5278

Boolit Grand Master

Another alternitive is to shoot Round Ball.... All you need to do is measure your choke constriction and order a DIXIE mold that size... a whole lot cheaper ! Or if you want to used a shot cup (sleeve) stick one in your barrel at the tightest constriction and measure that diameter. I recomend you figure on 3-5 thousands oversize ball to get a good grip out the barrel. Again order a Dixie mold of that diameter. Round ball is VERY easy to cast and will out penetrate any hollow body slug out there. Ask the PIG hunters... a hollow body slug will bounce off the BIG PIGS shoulders. A Round Ball will go flat through the whole critter. Elephants.. Rinos.. Buffalo.. are NEVER were NEVER shot with Hollow body slugs... But sure were dropped by the thousands with Round Ball. Hollow Body Slugs will bounce off the thick neck armor of BIG Crocs... but a round ball smashes right through. So if all you are going to do is pop a soft skin critter a Hollow Body Slug probably will do the job... But if you want to go HIGH TECH step back into history and use THE REAL SLUG.