Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Check here Jim:
    http://www.hotgunz.com/
    Thanks, Bookmarked for future use.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Did they get any prints? Did they say if there were similar operations in the same area?

I assume it went with loaded magazine(s) - holster or carry case?

What kind of tooling did they get - might be easier to track a specialty tool down.
    No fingerprints. They took my report over the phone.
    Midway tactical case with 4 spare magazines. One in the gun, none in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    will your insurance cover it ??

homeowners or auto ??

above FLATLINE pawn shop can keep stolen items ?????? REALLY
    IF THATS THE CASE WE SHOULD ALL BE ABLE TO BY STOLE GUNS AND KEEP THEM
    Homeowner's would, but I have a $750.00 deductible for personal property.

The day wasn't a total bummer though. One of my roofers dropped off a bunch of lead pipejacks so I've been spending the last couple of hours in melting therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    will your insurance cover it ??

homeowners or auto ??

above FLATLINE pawn shop can keep stolen items ?????? REALLY
    IF THATS THE CASE WE SHOULD ALL BE ABLE TO BY STOLE GUNS AND KEEP THEM
    Sadly yes. Don't know who legislated that bill but am going ask a bunch of questions this cycle.

here in Tn. if a pawn shop takes the gun in as a fare purchase and you find it and you want it back you have to buy it back otherwise they can keep it. Nothing you can do about it except buy it back.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    here in Tn. if a pawn shop takes the gun in as a fare purchase and you find it and you want it back you have to buy it back otherwise they can keep it. Nothing you can do about it except buy it back.
    CD
    In Tennessee, of all places. That's some crappy lawmaking right there.

Boolit Master
    Florida has the same rule for stolen property.
    Pawn shops have a good lobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    CD

Had a truck stolen in Tempe in the middle of the afternoon. Only thing I've ever had stolen from me.

Sorry to hear about the xdm it sure is a feeling of being violated when you have something stolen. I hope you can get something back that was taken.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Banned
    The good news is the owner knows the Make, Model and Serial number. Hopefully that information made it to the police.
    Handguns are frequently recovered by law enforcement from crime scenes, arrests, search warrants, etc. Firearms are VERY identifiable, something that sets them apart from things like jewelry and tools. The weak link is the fact that the rightful owners rarely know details such as serial numbers. If you tell the police that someone stole your 12 gauge shotgun it is very unlikely that they will ever be able to connect it to you if they recover it. However, if you tell the police someone stole your blued Remington 870 with a 22" barrel that had the full choke installed, it had a "j" shaped scratch of the right side of the receiver just under the ejection port and the SERIAL # was XXXXXXXX
    ....they are HIGHLY likely to connect that gun to your loss if they later recover it.

In the OP's case, he knows the make, model and serial number of his stolen pistol. There's a good chance that the gun will be returned to him IF the police can recover it.

I always tell gun owners to keep a ledger containing the descriptions of their firearms and to keep that ledger in a safe place away from their firearms. (safe deposit box, off site office, trusted friend or relative's home). If possible, take three photographs of each gun. One depicting the overall gun, one depicting the make & model inscription and one close-up of the serial number. That's the best possible record of your gun. Place a digital copy of those photos in some safe storage away from the place of storage.

As for vehicles, I too hate thieves and never leave anything in a vehicle that I can't afford to lose.

I think the OP has a better than average chance of recovering his gun.

Boolit Bub
    Manager at the local Home Depot was grilling burgers for a customer appreciation event on the sidewalk in front of the store, stepped inside to get something else, came out and all was gone, burgers, grill and everything.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I have had guns stolen from my house, bicycles from in the yard, tools form in my garage, and an irreplaceable hunting knife my dad gave me from inside my vehicle. I swear, if I ever catch someone stealing my stuff they are going to catch it for all the ones that got away.
    I'm with you, Springfield. If I catch a thief he will pay the price for all of the thieves before and after him. I just hope that its not more than he can bare!

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Check here Jim:
    http://www.hotgunz.com/
    Jeff, you need to enter the handgun serial number into this database ASAP
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Had it happen here last summer to my son's truck. Have decided that any thieves must be considered armed now and dealt with accordingly.
    A deplorable that votes!

Lost a handgun to someone I trusted and knew where I kept my spare key to my truck hidden. He'd been clean & sober for 4 years and seemed to be 'okay'. He relapsed and of course a lot of alcoholic/drug addicts steal from family or friends first. Thinking family or friends won't file criminal charges. Not sure what he got out of the gun, but I do know he's regretted it 100's of times. Why? He lost one of his last best friends and would probably give 10 times what he got for it if it would turn back the hands of time and restore our friendship. He's clean & sober again, but never to be trusted by me.

That being said, Oklahoman's did one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in November. They voted to lower (depending on the amount) the penalty for what was felony drug charges (even meth is included). They can now get arrested as many times as they wish with smaller amounts and it's only a misdemeanor. If that was bad enough, they did something to worsen matters. In Oklahoma property theft up to $500 could be filed as a misdemeanor or felony, it depended on how the district attorney wanted to pursue the case. Well, guess what? The people of Oklahoma, and I sure as **** wasn't one of them at the same time passed a bill raising the $500 and over to be a felony, to a $1,000. Yes, you read it right. Give the druggies & alcoholics lesser penalties for multiple counts of repeat offenses for drugs, and raise the limit on how much they can steal before it's a felony.

Good luck on finding your XDM.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Now that's a steaming crock of **** if I've ever seen one! A pawn shop has the right to keep YOUR stolen property! Screw that!

Some of the bullpile that a good honest person has to put up with in the worst of times is just insane...
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I'm not a big fan of pawn shops. Lots of times they are just a front for stolen goods.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Lost a handgun to someone I trusted and knew where I kept my spare key to my truck hidden. He'd been clean & sober for 4 years and seemed to be 'okay'. He relapsed and of course a lot of alcoholic/drug addicts steal from family or friends first. Thinking family or friends won't file criminal charges. Not sure what he got out of the gun, but I do know he's regretted it 100's of times. Why? He lost one of his last best friends and would probably give 10 times what he got for it if it would turn back the hands of time and restore our friendship. He's clean & sober again, but never to be trusted by me.
    Same thing happened to me. A custom 870 built by the famous Vang Comp. Never did recover it as the guy never owned up to it. I will never again trust an ex-con no matter how much he claims to be a Christian.

OP I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your gun and tools. Was the gun in the cab of the truck? Did they break the glass?

That sucks about your deductible being so high since that is more than the cost of a new pistol. I know it is too late to help now but in the future you should consider a collectables policy for your guns. I have a policy that is separate from my homeowner's insurance and there is no deductible unless you are a dealer. I just pray I never have to use it.
    Keep moving forward!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    I'm not a big fan of pawn shops. Lots of times they are just a front for stolen goods.
    Depends on the person that owns the pawn shop. I've seen some that are just extensions of the original thieves and some that were run by honest men. There's a difference and it comes down to honor.
    In some areas the police departments have an arrangement to recover stolen property from pawn shops and cover the cost to the pawn shop. The criminal is ordered to repay the loss. Obviously the convicted, incarcerated criminal cannot repay the police right away but eventually the money is collected and the system continues to work.
    It's a pretty good system. The pawn shop doesn't make a profit when they buy stolen property but they don't lose money when they cooperate with the police. Ultimately the criminal pays to reimburse the cost to the police/pawn shop and the property gets returned to its rightful owner.

The real issue comes from criminals that are smart enough to melt jewelry down into ingots and sell that scrap gold & silver. That property will never make it back into the hands of the rightful owner.

Boolit Grand Master

A drunk punk slept it off in an unlocked car I was saving for a Grandaughter. He got scared early in the morning and ran without his wallet, chapstick, a shoe, phone, and his crack pipe. The law took the evidence and filled out a report and insisted I lock the doors.
    Next night the punk returned to collect his stuff and broke a window to gain access. The law took another report and I was informed I would hear from the DA. Seven months later I questioned what was happening and found out the DA had decided not to prosecute.
    Outcome is I'd have been better off to have bought the snot nosed punk breakfast and ignored the police.
    I'm out $360. for the window, the aggravation of dealing with the LE, and the disgust of waiting forever for the DA to ignore doing it's job.
    There was nothing in the car to steal and locking the doors caused the broken window.
    You can't lock a thief out, only make it inconvenient, for you and the thief.........
    Information not shared. is wasted.