Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder measure expander die coupling.

Powder measure expander die coupling.

I got a mini lathe for Christmas. It has in those couple of weeks become indispensable to reloading for me. I've since made custom punches for my boolit sizer dies, custom boolit seaters (that don't deform the point) and a really nifty adapter for my Lee perfect powder measure to mate to my expander dies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170108_165539022[1].jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	184779
    Here it is installed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170108_170853732[1].jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	184780
    It frees up a lot of space on my bench that is no longer dedicated to the powder measure and its stand, and it saves me a little time combining case-mouth expansion and powder dispensing into one step. I do have the automatic dispenser too but it doesn't measure my flake powders very well. I was going to get the Lee automatic drum measure, but for the price I didn't think it would save me much more time than this set up does. in any case it's an idea I thought was worth sharing.
    -ABQ
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind what kind and how much was that lathe?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have noticed on my powder drops they change when mounted on the press after a few rounds. From what I have found is the working of the press settles the powder increasing the charge by a few grains. So I set the charge and run the press as I would in normal use then check a few cases and adjust from there. Just something to watch out for you may not have any problem. Nice work on the lathe btw I really want one too but its going to have to wait.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    If you don't mind what kind and how much was that lathe?
    Harbor freight 7X10", about $430 with a 25% off coupon. Keep an eye out for the coupons online.
    Last edited by abqcaster; 02-21-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Krav Maga Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I have noticed on my powder drops they change when mounted on the press after a few rounds. From what I have found is the working of the press settles the powder increasing the charge by a few grains. So I set the charge and run the press as I would in normal use then check a few cases and adjust from there. Just something to watch out for you may not have any problem. Nice work on the lathe btw I really want one too but its going to have to wait.
    Thanks! That's my experience too. I let it "settle" after about 5 charges and it's good.
    Last edited by abqcaster; 02-21-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Krav Maga Instructor

Boolit Master
    Thank you.

I run my powder throws on a turret so you know they get plenty of vibration and settle quickly but...if you tap the side of the hopper with a rubber handled screwdriver at least a dozen times it will pre-settle the hopper before you start. You can dial in the charge weight and save time in the long run.
    It is just as important to tap the charge handle twice lightly when taking a charge, it will settle the charge in the metering hole of the drum. Tapping it twice lightly on delivery of the charge will insure that there is no bridging.
    This will enable you to extract the best performance from all the manufacturers powder throws (the drum style) even using bulky flake powers.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

The latest turning project. It's a more ergonomic knob for my brass tumbler. Much better than the dinky wingnut it came with.

Krav Maga Instructor

Boolit Master

ABQ,

Mini-lathe and a mini-mill is part of my reloading tool set also. Being able to make or modify casting and reloading tools expands my enjoyment of the hobby. Keep up the good work.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Thanks, blikseme300!
    Last edited by abqcaster; 02-21-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    Krav Maga Instructor