Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2

Thread: Mauser Gew 98 Scope Mounts

Boolit Mold

Mauser Gew 98 Scope Mounts

I own a Gew 98 German Mauser (8mm) 1918 rifle and on the web from this site is a picture of the type of rifle scope mount I would like to buy or make to put on my Mauser Gew 98. Would like to know from this site where I might be able to buy the mount or get the dim's so that I can make my own scope mount. This scope mount fits right over the rear site. I did not find this under a topic search on this site.

1fisherman@charter.net
    DeerHunter2

Hi--first post! Welcome to the forum. Stick around--you'll like it here!

After thinking about your request for awhile, I believe what you're after is a scout scope-type mount. It doesn't actually fit over the rear sight. You have to remove the elevation slide bar and its spring, and then the mount fits between the original sights base or "ears". There are several brands, and all utilize the holes in the ears for attachment and usually a third screw. They are quite simple to install, and if maintaining your historic rifle in original condition is your goal, then they are a good way to go, as you can re-install your original sight parts should you desire to remove the scope.

You will need to purchase a scout-type scope with long eye relief. Good places to start looking are B-Square and ATI, and there are other mount makers as well. Brownell's usually carries them in stock, but you can order direct from most manufacturers. As far as making your own, they are relatively inexpensive and I'd recommend buying one. Can you make it? Sure, if you have the skills and tools; and if machine work is part of your hobby then go for it. I do have a B-Square model mounted on a WW II vintage Mauser, but can't readily access it for measurements, and they might be somewhat different as the WW I Mauser had the Lange "roller coaster" rear sight. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html
    I had there mount on a Sweed Mauser they make a excellent product

In Remembrance

Quite a few years back there was a `How to do it` article on making a Scout scope mount where the `roller coaster` rear sight is now. A brief explanation of it is as follows.
    1. remove action from stock then with careful heat unsolder the rear sight and remove from the barrel. Remember to make an index mark for reinstalling.
    2. remove all parts from the barrel mount collar.
    3. machine off the roller coaster rings so the surface is level on both sides.
    4. cut a piece of 3/8" steel to fit the opening where the sight spring had been and weld in place.
    5. drill and tap this steel for a flat bottom Weaver scope mount.
    6. reinstall the sight collar on the barrel where it was taken from and resolder in place.
    7. a long eye relief pistol scope is now installed in a good set of scope rings.

I realise this is overly simplified, but that is really all that is needed to do. I did this work about 25 years ago to a WW 1 Mauser and it has never moved.Robert