Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Rcbs military crimp remover how fast to spin on my drill press?

Boolit Man

Rcbs military crimp remover how fast to spin on my drill press?

I have a 12 speed drill press and was wondering what is the best speed to cut my crimped brass, I think any speed would work but is there a speed that will increase life of the cutters or improve the cut on the brass?
    Thanks

Gee...I'll have to look into that. I didn't know they made them. I use the RCBS primer pocket swager. I'm thinking that it would be faster than cutting each pocket on a drill press. Generally brass is cut at a medium high speed, but I can't really give you a good answer. Someone else....?

I spinn my cutter in an electric drill. I use a medium speed. I would imagine 400 rpm would be plenty fast
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    I run my drill even slower than omgb to ream primer pockets. Just fast enough to make nice curly shavings, but not heat things up. I'm probably overthinking it, but I worry about getting the head hot around the primer pocket for fear of starting to anneal it a little.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Bub
    I use it in my franckford arsenal case trimmer and it seems to work fine. I can see if I can find the RPM output if you would like but I know it is not very fast

Boolit Man
    Ok so probably the lowest speed, I think trimming brass with the worlds finest trimmer WFT they recommend a fast rpm but these are two different types of operations.

Boolit Master
    Start out at about 200 RPM until you get the hang of it. You will be able to tell if you need to adjust it. I doubt that you will need more than 400 rpm.
    My estimate comes from about 10,000 hours on a lathe and several thousand hours on mills and drill presses.

If you get chatter use a heavier feed or slow down the RPMS or both.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-18-2016 at 01:08 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Ever drill any brass stock? Fast speeds may give chatter and too much heat. I'd go real slow, mebbe the slowest speed on your press. I don't have a time limit nor quota and no matter what the method, every case must be handled individually, so .25 seconds longer with a slow turning cutter ain't gonna make no difference...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-18-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

the rcbs power tool that the cutter tool goes on turns pretty slow.
    I bet the cutter only turns at 80-90 rpm on the tool.

Boolit Master

Before seeing R5R's post, I was about to say that I estimated my RCBS tool RPM to be 80 to 100. I've used it to ream primer pockets with a carbide tool, and that's about all the speed I'd want if holding the case in the fingers.

Vendor Sponsor

Countersinks always are ran slow. My Drill Press's primary function is countersinking holes. It is set at it's slowest RPM which is about 125 rpms.

When using a countersink the whole thing comes down to NOT producing chatter in the hole. Once you do that you have to slow way down and cut under the chatter to remove it. This invariably makes the chamfer too big.

With brass you can use any speed you want, all machine tools are capable of ripping off brass at their highest speeds available.

BUT for removing crimps on brass cartridges a multi-flute countersink and a slow speed will do the job in about 1-2 seconds. So a high speed is not necessary. The higher the speed the more likely you are to induce chatter.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com