Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: lever shims

Boolit Buddy

lever shims

My new to me Marlin has a lot of side to side play in the lever, like a bunch really. My dads Marlin doesn't have any play in it, my wifes old Winchester rattles but not a lot of slop in it. I saw some shim kits for this on Brownells has anyone installed a set of these to take up slack in an old Marlin or Winchester?
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Moderator Emeritus

As a before-retirement electronics tech, the requisite question on most any failure was, "what caused it?" Similarly, I bought a 94 Winnie at a ridiculously low price from a gal selling "her man's" firearms on the cheap while he was incarcerated, and it turns out this firearm took quite a fall/drop from a tree stand. Gosh, it looked brand new (it almost was), but it had quite a bit of lever side to side slop. I bought it in a hurry, but took it to a reputable, knowledgeable 'smith -- bottom line is in addition to requiring a new lever, a few other parts were required. I was lucky in that I had a spare lever, from another 94 Win I put a Wild West large lever in, so all other parts plus labor ran me a scant $100 or so.
    What am I suggesting? Hey, I love Marlins and I envy your new acquisition -- my favorite lever is a 336 in .35 Rem. However, it may be not a bad expenditure of your time, and perhaps a few dollars, to have the firearm checked out by a competent gunsmith. As a NYS Hunter Safety Instructor, I do not omit from instruction how very close to your eyes, cheeks. and fingers is 50,000 to 60,000 psi pressure with each and every shot! Imho, a few bucks to a smith is a much better paradigm than personal injury. I do NOT wish to scare you, etc... however, again, I'd have the rifle checked out before I attempted my modification.
    BEST!
    geo

Got to agree with George.

Boolit Buddy
    Well dang, with my new rifle tunnel vision I hadn't even considered the fact that something might be damaged or worn out. I believe I will get it looked at, you are right, better safe than kaboom!
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Moderator Emeritus

So happy, 1911cherry, you are going in this direction! PLEASE post a follow-up after you get it professionally examined? Yes, there is a chance the action -- particularly, lever -- is "just worn". However, I have a 1948-made 94 which original owner (kind of a friend) put MANY thousands of rounds through -- his one and only rifle, and albeit (a plus) the action is butter-smooth from this use -- any lever play is quite negligible.
    I believe you're making a most wise decision! Kudos!
    geo

I own more than a couple Marlin lever guns. Have never had one with a sloppy lever. Something is most definitely wrong.
    Smart to get it checked out as has been stated before.
    If you are "handy" , the 336 is a very simple gun to disassemble and inspect. U-tube has some good tutorials.
    Good luck