MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: saeco boolit questions

saeco boolit questions

I found a saeco 2 cavity #23 375 gr spitzer mold for $50 and couldn't pass it up since I've been looking for one for my 45/70 and even the used stuff I had found was pricey. It didn't dawn on me until afterwards that my 45/70 is a marlin 1895cb and those spitzers might pose a problem in a lever gun. Has anyone used these in a lever gun and if so have you had any problems with them? One other thing is what lyman/rcbs top punch works best with it or will the threaded saeco fit my lyman 450? There seems to be several lyman/rcbs molds that are similar but each use a different top punch.........thanks

Boolit Master
    I think you will have a problem with the OAL in the Marlin , even if you get one to cycle it more than likely will be seated deep in the case . You can have one in the chamber and one in the tube makeing your gun a 2 holer . (pun intended) Or load single with a longer OAL but it would have to be shot to get the case back out or tore down (feild striped) .

Sorry I can't help with a top punch but I'm sure someone will let you know what one to use .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master

you will probley have the tubular magizine/ pointed bullet sindrom but you can single load them or only put 2 in the magizine and work the action to load 1 of them leaving 1 in the magazine.
    i also have a marlin1895 cb in 45/70 and ive had excellent results with the saeco # 017 a 350 gr/fp/gc and 5744 powder with 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards with a 2x7 leupold. good luck bob!

Thanks for the input, that's what I figured but wanted some other opinions. I guess I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work out I'll sell or swap it for something I can use.