RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK what have I got here??

Boolit Buddy
    Your neck in a chamber should always be longer than a SAAMI spec cartridge. They make chamber plugs that with a modified case can measure from the bolt face to the end of the neck in the chamber. .025-.040" longer is not uncommon.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    the 7 mag and the .338 are the same case. the norma is longer. .264 win mag brass is longer, and should blow out to norma size. I made serviceable cases from 7 mag for an unmarked barreled action, I thought was a norma. Very little difference in length to shoulder. Neck is shorter, Norma is probably bigger at the shoulder, but it is possible to use 7 mag brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    the 7 mag and the .338 are the same case. the norma is longer. .264 win mag brass is longer, and should blow out to norma size. I made serviceable cases from 7 mag for an unmarked barreled action, I thought was a norma. Very little difference in length to shoulder. Neck is shorter, Norma is probably bigger at the shoulder, but it is possible to use 7 mag brass.
    flounderman, thanks. I just made up a few using 7 mag brass. Yes, they are short but I see no reason why they should not work. Easy peasy to make, just open them up to 30 cal. And, they will not chamber in either of my 7 mag rifles, which is a concern someone had on another board. Haven't had a chance to fire them yet... If for some reason they don't work out I can always use the 300 win brass but I understand that is a bit more of a process.

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding the 308 chamber.

Sometimes it the simplest things

You are looking at part of the old 30-06 neck/throat.
    Whoever set the barrel back and rethreaded to fit the new action did not shorten it enough to totally clean up the old 30-06 neck. If they had gone even 1/2 of a thread or turn more, then you would not be seeing the longer neck area.

I would not worry about it, check the headspace and if fine then have fun shooting it.

JW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    Regarding the 308 chamber.

Sometimes it the simplest things

You are looking at part of the old 30-06 neck/throat.
    Whoever set the barrel back and rethreaded to fit the new action did not shorten it enough to totally clean up the old 30-06 neck. If they had gone even 1/2 of a thread or turn more, then you would not be seeing the longer neck area.

I would not worry about it, check the headspace and if fine then have fun shooting it.

JW

Now that makes sense. I did shoot 10 rounds of cast thru it a couple
    of days ago and all seemed fine. I'll try a little warmer load next just to be certain.
    Thanks again guys for all the help!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm leaning heavily toward the 308 Norma Magnum. It is one of those rounds I always wanted (along with the 7x61 S&H) but never really got around to acquiring. Kinda happy I lucked into this. One little bit of possibly good news from what looks to be turning out to be a bad case of buyers remorse!! Only thing I can see really wrong with the rifle is some bozo expoxied the barreled action and stock together.....but I guess I could live with that.

I've been researching making the Norma brass. Differing opinions, but seems to be pretty straight forward using 300 Win Mag brass, which I have.

Gonna just load some cast and shoot the 308. Unless something unexpected happens at the range I think that should be fine.

Fun stuff.....guy's gotta have something to do! (lot also included most of a 270, a 35 Whelen and a 7mm Rem Mag.....whoo hoo)
    Congratulations, I have been shooting a 308 Norma for the last 40 years. I used to make brass from 338 win mag, but it is a lot of work . I finally settled on 7mm Rem mag. Just run it through the Norma sizing die and check it for length. Then go shooting.
    The only problem I have had is the length from the head to the front of the belt. They spec out to be about .002" longer on the 7mm. Some will not chamber easily. Some will. Thanks to the inaccuracies of modern manufacturing. The good thing is you can try them before you re size.
    BTW, I have several other rifles, but if I had to settle on just one, it would be my 308 Norma. When I pull that trigger, something dies.

PS: I bought some new Norma ammo a couple years back. I think they started making it again. I have not tried to buy any since.
    Last edited by snowtigger; 12-11-2016 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...8-norma-magnum

I just checked Midway. They have new 308 Norma brass. Haven't checked Grafs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...8-norma-magnum

I just checked Midway. They have new 308 Norma brass. Haven't checked Grafs.
    Yep, they have 308 Norma Brass, at $1.50 ea plus shipping or so. Grafs is more. I went ahead and made up ten rounds using 7mm Remington brass that I got for $0.10 each! No biggie actually, just open the mouth up to 30 cal and load up. Shot the ten rounds (22.0 2400, lyman 308291 GC PC .309) into 1.5" at 50 yds. I'm happy with that as a first time out. Overall brass length is short (as expected) and the shoulder moved ever so slightly forward. Visually the formed 308 and the 7 mag cases look very similar, but the loaded 308 Normas will not chamber in either of my 7 mag rifles.

The suspected 308 is a "long neck" 308. Rifle fired fine but accuracy wasn't anything to write home about.

Thanks for all your help guys.