RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army - Revisited

Ruger Old Army - Revisited

Sometime back we had a great thread on the ROA! We covered the Pros and Cons pretty well. At that time I dicussed a pre-warning (1978) ROA, (like new- maybe unfired) that I had bought.
    I later decided I wanted a blued 5.5" and all you fellows helped me find one that was hand-picked NIB. I bought the gun.
    I had some thoughts about the fixed sights...as most replicas have Batttle Sights and shoot high. Not so on the little 5.5". With my standard load of a .457" RB and 35 grs (bulk) of Black Mag 3...it hits point on at 30 yards. I have not shot the gun with conicals yet or run the loads over the chrono. I am convinced that both the 7.5" and 5.5" ROA's will be excellent backup guns when ML hunting on the ground.
    Oh yes, I did break the 5.5" down and check the cylinder throats and grooves...both right on .454" like the old 1978 gun.
    Regards, James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix1535135828.jpg  
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

I have a Stainless ROA which is a 76 Model which is the 200th Liberty Model that I got new as a kid well 13 lol. I could not even start to count how many rounds I have fired through that great gun. Even took a South Texas Hog with it lol.

Great Gun everyone should have at least one of them.

Boolit Buddy

That sure is a nice lookin hog leg ya got there DS!

In Remembrance

I was intrigued by the report of paper cartridges in the other thread, so today I stopped at the local grocery and picked up a couple packs of rolling papers. I figured they would be too small for the ROA, but thought they would work for my 36 Navy Colt. $4.79 for 64 papers! Bad thing is they are probably too small. I'll have to get to a head shop in Amarillo to see if I can get some sized for blounts. DALE

Boolit Buddy

Hey Dale, I roll for a .44 with 1.25 papers & they work just fine. I use a .454 ball.

Boolit Master
    All my Roll Yer Owns turn out Hump Back(Had the same trouble in the 70's)

It must be my old age! While the gun/ammo market seems to be rushing Pell-Mell over more velocity, short fat rounds vs long skinny rounds, and the whole wad of crap....I am going backwards and enjoy it!
    After some real shoothing sessions with the 5/5" ROA.....It's now my "packing" gun!......how's that for regression!
    I have also switched back to my .50 ML more! After close to 50 years of the Gun and Ammo businss.....I have about burned out on this mad rush to all the new toys.
    Here is Florida, most WMA's are overstocked wih hogs...big time. We have a very long Small Game season on WMA's and most allow ML's for wild hog. The areas are not run over with people during Small Game season and you can wander/hunt and just plain enjoy the ML's. I am not the only one either. This year we plan a real laid-back ML hunting camp on the Gulf Coast Shired Island. Just some ML hunting, good cooking, smoked pig, and BS sessions! If the weather is right...maybe some fishing too!
    So....maybe you all should think about regressing some also!
    Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs

Boolit Bub
    James:

Not to be too nosey but I was somewhat intrigued by the comment you made about the wildlife management areas overstocked with feral hogs. Things must have changed since I was hunting in the Sunshine State about fifteen years ago. I used to hunt on this big ranch in Polk County and my guide friend commented that the local wildlife management areas didn't offer really good hunting. He commented that hunters shoot one or two meat sized hogs a season on the management areas as compared to private land. Then again this is going back to 1993.

Things have changed a great deal as far as hogs are involved in the past 15 years.. Both deer and hogs eat acrons in the Fall. This is the prime time to put fat on. Other than acrons, deer must browse. Hogs on the other hand are rooters for all typed of tubers....and will feed heavy on fish and crabs.
    Then take into consider a female sow can breed at six months old and then have two liiters a year. Even at an average of six pigs...and you can run the math on them. They are displacing deer on some woodland ranges.....and spreading rapidly. The coastal areas are running over with hogs indeed.
    On private land there is now no season and on Gov't land they are considered game animals.
    But that is not all....unlike deer, hogs do revert to a more primitive animal. As they do, they seek more remote areas. We are seeing very large boar hogs along the West Coast. The expansion of the hog ranges is both an asset and a debit.....depending on your animal choice to hunt.
    The situatiom is becoming a problem with the deer hunting cult....but not to the meat hunter. The expansion migration of hogs follow river bottoms.
    The major problem is that hunters have for years seen smaller feral hogs and have hunted them with light rifles....that is changing very fast. From a safe tree stand where they snipe at deer, will still be fine for light rifles and picking an ear shot......but can get you cut up bad on the ground. But...few listen to those that hunt the big hogs....so we just let them be cut up!
    Regards, James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tusker.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Slugs View Post
    The major problem is that hunters have for years seen smaller feral hogs and have hunted them with light rifles....that is changing very fast. From a safe tree stand where they snipe at deer, will still be fine for light rifles and picking an ear shot......but can get you cut up bad on the ground. But...few listen to those that hunt the big hogs....so we just let them be cut up!
    Regards, James
    One thing you learn quickly if you understand feral pigs, whether russian stock or not, is that pigs is Americas most underrated dangerous game.

Aloha...

I HEAR THAT INDEED!.....Regards, Jams

Boolit Grand Master

If you were going to buy a Ruger Old Army which barrel length would you go with ? I would use it primarily to plink. Probably carry it about in the woods and ocasionaly hunt racoons or groundhods in thich stuff with about 20 yards or less visibility.

Boolit Mold
    The 7 1/2 inch version with adjustable sights would serve you well.

Boolit Mold
    Have you seen this loader at www.sixgunforfun.com ?

I have both lengths! As I said before, I was concerned about the fixed sights on the 5.5 ROA. I suppose I would buy the 7.5 " because of the adjustable sights. That way you could shoot plinking loads, etc.
    As for a "Packing Gun", I like the 5.5" better....but, it's all what you like!
    Regards, James

Yes, I have seen those (and other loading) tools! But, remember that on the 5.5" version of the ROA.....you have to take the lever latch/screw loose to remove the cylinder. I have had no trouble seating the round balls in the 5.5", even with its shorter loading lever though. Conicals were a little rough though.
    I do not worry too much about reloading in the field, since using it as a backup...if the existing six shots did not work....there is no time to change cylinders, etc.
    And....the replacement cylinders for 45 Colt cartridges...on the 5.5", you would have the take the loading lever catch/screw out to reload the cylinder with cartridges.
    So...again it all depends on what you are using the gun for....whether you go with the more compact 5.5" or the standard 7.5"
    Regards, James

I would have to agree to go with the 7 1/2 inch version with adjustable sights. And I tend to like the Stainless version. But purchase what ever version you like. I still feel the Ruger Old Army is the Rolls Royce of the group no matter which model.

I just picked-up a gently used 7 1/2" stainless with the adjustable sights today, I can hardly wait to see how it shoots!

Boolit Buddy
    oldhickory, I bought her twin sister last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIAFB View Post
    oldhickory, I bought her twin sister last Saturday.

Wow!...When I first picked this thing up my first thoughts were, "Yep, I need this."The quality seems even better than their Black Hawk series! I'm impressed! If it shoots ANYTHING like it looks and feels, it's a 10x'r!