Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by jjamna View Post
    Where can I get a mold for the Maxi ball in 32 cal. I have looked and the only thing I can find is round balls
    Ballisti-cast still offers them (2, 4 or 6 cavity).

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%...20Page%207.htm

=ktw

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks ktw
    I did not know anything about the place. Their molds are a little pricy but if they have what you need and no one else does it is a no brainer- pay their price. If evil-bay don't work out I will order one. ( I don't think that evil-bay will, never does)
    Jeff

Yes, not cheap, but from everything I have heard, top shelf molds. I have never owned one myself but people I know who do have them speak highly of them.

The other attraction to Ballisti-cast is that they took over the old H&G line of molds. If you want a "real" H&G 68 or H&G 502, Ballisti-cast is where you go to get a new one (#668 and #1102 respectively in their lineup, 600 + old H&G # )

-ktw

Boolit Master
    i have a traditions deerhunter in 32 cal. and i use a 32 cal wadcutter bullet from a lee mold (not in production anymor, unfortunately) with double thickness brown wrapping paper 'cross' patches with very good results. the rifling twist is 1-48, and all indication is they stablize very well!

Boolit Master

Maven
    Way back in the day all Thompson Center molds were made by Lyman no less.
    EVil bay has the t/c molds at good prices. No one for a long time liked the little .32 or .36 but some are now looking for them as they haven't been made in years and in five years according to T/C today when I talked to them all the old stuff will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    ... and in five years according to T/C today when I talked to them all the old stuff will be gone.
    "gone"? From their inventory? Are you saying that T/C still has .32 molds available or just "old stuff" in general ?

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking of trying an experiment with my 32 next time out. 32 Maxies are almost non-exhistant and when you do find them they are outragous in price or at least more than I am willing to spend for some plinkers. The 8mm is real close to the right diameter so I was thinking of moulding up some bullets with soft lead and cutting them in half and shooting each half to see how they do. Once in half the weight or length rather should be about right. It couldn't hurt. One half will end up like a wadcutter and I might as well shoot the other half while I am at it. If it works out I figured I could partially fill the cavity of the mould with high temp RTV or something so I wouldn't have to cut them in half.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I tried them out today without much success. They did work and loaded good. Good enough that I thought they would shoot decent but they didn't shoot that great. I think the 32 with a 1/48 twist just isn't good enough for conicals or at least mine isn't. Shoots RB much better.
    On a happier note I finally took out my Antique 32 cal squirrel rifle out and shot it. It shot surprisingly well. At 25 yards the holes were almost touching. Pretty good for not having a stable rest. I can't take all the credit though. The barrel is so long it was almost touching the target. LOL!
    So over all I had a good shootin day! Next to take out my Dixie Mountain Squirrel gun. That should be an adventure. It's a flintlock and I havn't done them much!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    A 1-48" twist is the standard that most barrelmakers use for ball loads.

Boolit Master
    technically, most of the target shooters I know use very high twist rates with pistols and 1-48 just wont work as well as a 1-20. With a 32, if you trust the modified greenhill formula, you need a minimum of 1-38" for a round ball 32, and when you get into bullets, shorter than that even... and for target loads with reduced powder, shorter as well, shorter barrels, shorter twists... and so on.. but this gentleman had a barrel touching the target... so steady hand my friend, steady hand....

Boolit Grand Master

Rattus58
    I looked back and guess I wasn't clear. I didn't shoot the conicals out of my Antique ML. I shot them out of a Traditions Deerhunter(why they call a 32 Deerhunter is beyond me) just for giggles. I didn't bother to check out the greenhill formula. I was concidering picking up a 32 conical on sleasebay but it's out of the question now. I did think the conicals would do a little beter though. They were pretty short. Not much longer than they were wide. They didn't keyhole though. Shot nice neat holes in the paper, just weren't very accurate even though they were good enough to be on target.
    It was exciting though to get my old one out though. A piece of yester year so to speak. Last time I took it out I couldn't fire it because I overlooked the fact that the nipple was too big for the caps I had. That was easily fixed though with a nipple replacement.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Hi Moonman...

A 32 should shoot a 38 twist with a round ball pretty decently and would require a shorter twist for a conical as I guess you were able to sorta validate. I'm relying on a modified greenhill formula to come up with this however....

Round ball =
    Bullet diameter 0.32
    Bullet lenth 0.32
    Speed = <1500 120
    Twist 38.4

Conical say .36 in length
    Bullet diameter 0.32
    Bullet lenth 0.36
    Speed = <1500 120
    Twist 34.13

The longer the bullet goes the shorter... the shorter the barrel (talking like 8-12") the shorter the twists as well.

Aloha...

I would also like to get a mold for my .32 rifle. I,m shooting a .310 Rb with a .015 patch, but I would like to have a maxi ball mold (if I can find one) or something similar. The Buffalo ball-ets sound like something for me to try out also. I'm like most of you guys tho, I need a mold so I can make what I need. If I find something I'll post it on here to let others know. I really like shooting my .32's !

Boolit Buddy
    Blizzard 63 We are working on a group buy u may be interested in. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-Ball-et-Mold

Hope the link works. Also track o0f the wolf has Maxi molds. Just got one 2 days ago.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1201/1

Boolit Bub
    Track of the Wolf has a 6 cavity Lee mold for maxi balls for 54.99

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunc of stuff 344.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	97280

JJamna

If you want to try the T/C Maxi I can send you the bullets you see in this picture.

Pm me your address and they are yours.

These are 32 cal. Maxie's for my T/C Cherokee.
    Last edited by BDJ; 02-20-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunc of stuff 344.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	97280

JJamna

If you want to try the T/C Maxi I can send you the bullets you see in this picture.

Pm me your address and they are yours.

These are 32 cal. Maxie's for my T/C Cherokee.

Thanks for the offer but I bought one from track of the wolf.

Boolit Man
    Glad you found a mold. The little 32 mold is a bit tough to find.

I have a 32 Crockett on order. should have it in a week. what does a ball-et look like? thanks. gd
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

If you want to try a light weight 8MM mould, I have the 32359 (115 gr) which is shown in this thread which you could try out:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...th-Rusty-Stuff