RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BFR question

Boolit Master
    Evidentially they don't know what they are doing at MR.
    One tells one tale and another tells another.
    Who does one believe?
    I received the e mail I have on Sept. 6th from customer service stating it is 1-26".
    Will Scott Dobbs guarantee it is 1-16"?
    If he will I will order one within the month providing he will reimburse me if I send it back or will replace the barrel with a 1-16" if it isn't.

I'll send you a PM with his email address. Let us know how it goes?

Boolit Master
    At least Freedom Arms knows what twist their barrels are! I have not had any trouble with my FA '83, I bought mine with the express sights, an extra .45 Colt cyl., factory trigger job, micarta grips, bushed forcing cones, premier finish, etc......nothing BFR makes can touch it.

Boolit Master
    Now MR knows the twist rate of the 44 Mag BFR. It is 1-26".

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    That was the worst ever. The guns have problems, I found them and could fix some but to pay postage both ways and for a repair would break the bank. Poor barrels, throats at .357" and bores .358 to .3599 out of round. Hammer blocks and transfer bars that fail with a few thousandths wear.
    Strong trigger spring and $100 to replace it plus postage. Off center wear at the cone and rifling from tight cylinders out of line. Then to have baker scream and cuss that I ruined the gun.
    I actually made new parts from tool steel and wound the crazy trigger springs by hand. You have not lived until you take one apart. Sell one and lose 3/4 of the price.
    Yes I have been bashed big time over them and tossed from sites but I stick by truth.
    Someone is sure to dispute me here too.
    Been a gunsmith forever and the day I own a Freedom is NEVER!
    They don't have a transfer bar.....did you actually ever own one?

You loose a couple hundred selling them....look at the used prices on gunbroker. Less than 10% under retail.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Now MR knows the twist rate of the 44 Mag BFR. It is 1-26".
    Based on what evidence?

Boolit Master
    "Based on what evidence?"

Send another e mail to your buddy Scott Dobbs.

Banned

The 97 has a transfer bar.
    I never owned one or will but worked on many, many of them. On a few I could push the hammer with my thumb and see the pin come out, they must never have a live round under the hammer.
    Worst was a .454 with about 300 factory loads through it. Throats were wallowed oblong, one side of the cone eaten away into the rifling. Cylinder off and too tight. I did the best I could after the man tried to get a free fix and failed.Attachment 181845 Before and after, factory on the left and cast at full power on the right. My PB at over 55,000 PSI.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The 97 has a transfer bar.
    I never owned one or will but worked on many, many of them. On a few I could push the hammer with my thumb and see the pin come out, they must never have a live round under the hammer.
    Worst was a .454 with about 300 factory loads through it. Throats were wallowed oblong, one side of the cone eaten away into the rifling. Cylinder off and too tight. I did the best I could after the man tried to get a free fix and failed.Attachment 181845 Before and after, factory on the left and cast at full power on the right. My PB at over 55,000 PSI.
    Still ragging on the FA's? You always claim to have worked on many of them. I claim you are blowing smoke and don't know what you are talking about. Especially when you claim to have shot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a revolver.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 12-02-2016 at 09:29 AM.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Buddy

I haven't owned many FA but I have had a few and all shot great....I always tended to buy them in too big a caliber tho to fully enjoy a long range session. I would like to get a 357 or 44 FA to play with more.

I do have one of their single shots and it's lights out. Did well with it at a long range steel shoot, took dogs to about 700 yards...and took a few deer and hogs with it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Still ragging on the FA's? You always claim to have worked on many of them. I claim you are blowing smoke and don't know what you are talking about. Especially when you claim to have shot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a revolver.
    That is your choice. I will not argue about it.
    But you don't fully understand, I have been enamored by the Freedom from day one, beautiful gun and have shot and seen many shot that are tack drivers. But some have problems. It is to be expected.
    What it comes down to is the relationship of the owner and the company. You are treated well if you pay. The worst was when a guy called Baker at work and across the room we could hear the screaming and cussing over the phone from Baker. Sorry nobody gets treated that way. Then Baker accused ME of ruining the gun by shooting cast. But NOT at the time so I was accused of leaving lead by slugging. Darn I know how to slug a gun. He said you can't shoot jacketed after lead. Never do anyway. I don't shoot lead after jacketed either.
    The internals of a Freedom are very complicated and I have seen wear too early. I bet you have never taken one all apart. You send it in with money. See the magic word--- MONEY? The gun is a nightmare inside and many custom makers will not use them. They prefer a Ruger.
    About accuracy, you have no idea. I had a few small problems with BC in the past but changed my opinion, he knows what he is doing so ask him what a revolver can do. His spectacular results 100 times farther then your 20 yards Should kick your brain into gear that you do something wrong.
    1/2" at 100- YES and pop cans at 200-Yes.

Boolit Buddy

Smith use a ruger for a custom because it is cheap

You wouldn't take a 2k+ gun and cut it up.

Their internals are no more complicated than others. Just better fit. Not cast.

Your paying for a entirely machined firearm.

Boolit Master
    How did a question about BFR get turned into a Freedom Arms debate?

How about that twist rate of the BFR in 44 Mag?
    Arguing about Freedom Arms doesn't help iron out the 1-26" twist of the BFR 44 Mags now.

Boolit Buddy

How did a question about BFR get turned into a Freedom Arms debate?

How about that twist rate of the BFR in 44 Mag?
    Arguing about Freedom Arms doesn't help iron out the 1-26" twist of the BFR 44 Mags now.
    Someone started bashing a quality company.

The twist I'm not 100% sure. I have seen many over the generations of them and off of memory I thought they were either 1/16 or 1/20

Somewhere I thought someone said they changed to a green mtn barrel. If that's so it's 1/20 and they are good barrels.

Boolit Master
    1-26". according to MR now.

Boolit Buddy

1-26". according to MR now.
    I can't imagine why they would put a 1-26 barrel on a 44

Boolit Master
    I can't either. But the very Scott Dobbs that tatume wanted me to e mail had this to say when I e mailed him:

"I will have to apologize here. I was going off our catalog which has a
    misprint.
    After checking with the build team leader, it is in fact a 1:26 twist as
    with the .444 Marlin. He said they use that twist because it actually
    shoots better with this twist.

Once again, I apologize for the mis-information.

Scott"

Magnum Research must be really confused about their own guns. According to their web site, the 444 Marlin revolver has 1:16" rifling twist!

Banned

I bash the owner, sorry about that but it was a personal thing between us.
    I keep seeing the BFR .44 is still 1 in 16".
    But Taffin, Venturino, Whitworth, and a few others hate me too. It comes down to truth. I don't sell anything and make nothing so I am free to tell it like it is. I also don't care what anyone says. I have no need to lie about anything either.
    Yes, some hate my comments. I suppose if freedom sent me free guns I could change but NO, not on your life. I have ethics that will die with me. I would not cheat a person out of a single dollar. I will lose money if wrong. I will fix.
    Understand my position now. I owe NOTHING. So work can be free or a bottle. What can you give me?
    Close to the end of life you only have pride or regrets to how you treated others.
    When I say something is wrong, take it to the bank or cuss me and see if I care. I still don't hate anyone. I refuse to be hateful but some live with it all day.

Boolit Master
    I measured my 444 it is 1-16" rate of twist. Same barrel for the 44 and 444.