Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: Wild Elderberry Jelly and Homemade Biscuits

Wild Elderberry Jelly and Homemade Biscuits

Just had my usual blowout Saturday breakfast: Wild elderberry jelly in a warm buttered homemade biscuit, egg, sausage, cheese and jalapenos. Topped off with about 3 cups of coffee.

Someone on the forum, can't remember who, sent us some peach marmalade and some wild elderberry jelly. I'm here to tell you both of them were wonderful. My first time eating elderberry jelly, and when I put it in the buttered biscuit, it was like Heaven.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Banned

I envy you. I found tons of the berries in Ohio but there are none here at all.
    I found the bushes in swampy areas that are now developments. I won't move back there. They filled swamps with garbage where I found hundreds of leopard frogs.
    The EPA did good but has turned to a curse. Too much power now.
    The elderberry pies I ate when a kid will never be seen again. Lots of work but nothing better.

I grew up with elderberry jelly, elderberry wine and an old fashioned elderberry linctus recipe that was handed down from great grandparents-it is very thick and concentrated but was given out when anyone had a cold (diluted with hot water and a couple of shots of whiskey in it!) as a young boy it was the best bit about getting a fever.
    My elderly mum makes elderflower champagne which has to be one of the best drinks out there on a warm day. The birds in the garden got all our berries this year as I was a bit slow to go and harvest them.

Moderator Emeritus

Elderberries grow everywhere here. Most any power or phone line that crosses a "wet spot" will have them growing underneath. The birds eat them and then leave their droppings as they perch on those wires. Then bushes grow profusely underneath. The only problems in finding them is the boggy nature that often exists, and the thick brush that can conceal rattlers. Haven't harvested any in years now, but used to use them in my wine making. Adds a character to wines that they just don't have without the berries. Good stuff. Never kept enough to make a pie with, but I'm betting they're darn good!

Luckily we dont have rattlers here but I did have to dodge a strike from an adder while picking gorse flowers a few years ago. Gorse makes great wine.