Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to get better at in 2017???

I want to learn the inner workings of my 1911's better. A friend builds them, so I have an instructor to guide me. Going to do some trigger, hammer, and sear work, as well as cerakoting 2 of them. More practice from hunting positions with my revolvers, but starting again with 22lr, then 38spl before I move onto the magnums.

Boolit Master

Simply
    1) a better rifle shooter
    2) better trigger control
    3) more range time
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    1. More range time for sure...
    I only get to the range about twice a year anymore. Honestly, reloading is more fun than shootin', but now I'm all loaded for several cartridges, I gotta make some empty brass to work with..

Gonna tryfor a trip to the range at least once a month, although I'd like about twice..

2. Get back to being able to point/hip shoot.
    Used to be I could point a gun like pointing my finger and hit damn good at minute of pop can at 25 yards.. Now I'm lucky to get minute of 55 gal drum at that range.

Gonna start with my .22s, and work my way up through the 357, to the .41 Mag I'm rebuilding now.

"Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Master
    More range time and better trigger control. And double action shooting. I'm good single action but not so much in double action. I hunt with my BLACKHAWK but I'm wanting to take the security six out soon. It's a good companion for the 77/357.

Picking out threads not to read.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Need to work on not jerking the trigger during rapid fire. If I take my time and aim I can keep them centered quite nicely, I have picked up a few bad habits though for idpa. I don't like dropping magazines and I'm kinda slow. That's my plans for 2017 so far. I've started casting for my '06 rifle but haven't tested anything yet.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would like to master squeezing the trigger and focusing on the front sight at the same time. In 33 years of shooting I have never been able to do this.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I will turn 66 in January and even though I am in good health, I would like to get better at remembering that every day that I awake could be my last. So, it is best to find some joy in each day no matter what. More days at the range in 2017 is a good plan. To paraphrase an old Willie Nelson song--"you don't know when, you never can tell."

Boolit Grand Master

At almost 75 I envy all the things you fellows look forward to.
    Don't put off your goals while waiting for a convenient time or circumstance. That time was yesterday.
    If you're in reasonably good health, use that to your advantage, it won't last as long as you think.
    Do today what you put off yesterday, as there won't be as many more tomorrows as you think.
    It's funny how the older you get, the more valuable time becomes, and the more of it, it takes to just get on with life.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Living with the ailments I have until 2020 at least!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Great reminder, Mold Maker. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    At almost 75 I envy all the things you fellows look forward to.
    Don't put off your goals while waiting for a convenient time or circumstance. That time was yesterday.
    If you're in reasonably good health, use that to your advantage, it won't last as long as you think.
    Do today what you put off yesterday, as there won't be as many more tomorrows as you think.
    It's funny how the older you get, the more valuable time becomes, and the more of it, it takes to just get on with life.
    Well said!
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master
    I was unable to shoot Trap this year due to a compressed nerve. Feeling much better now and looking forward to shooting with my buddies again. Planning on attending the major shoots at Marengo, Ohio and Mason, Michigan.

My main goal is to become a better long range shot. 500-800 yards.

With the nerve issue, the plan is to get a Master Caster. It is not easy to handle gang molds for very long.

Don Verna

Banned
    i know its not much, but i'd would like to shoot my ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel in 44mag) out to 50 yards. 3-4" groups off hand( i'm stroke-abled. i only have one hand).

right now its a 3" group at 20-25 yards, i do have a reflex sight but i have to put it on.

Eliminate flinch when shooting magnum handguns.
    Refine my 38spl WC load and learn to shoot it well up to 50 yards offhand.
    Refine cast rifle loads for accuracy out to 100 yards. Lots to do here.
    Pay more attention to folks here that know more than I do AND LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY!!!!
    Stock up on more components. I have a lot already, but there is never too much.
    Last but not least, enjoy talking with all of you fine fellows.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Some goals I want to keep for myself, and would encourage others here to consider.

Always try to make time to mentor and encourage new shooters/hunters and young shooters/hunters.

Get help if you need it.

Don't allow the herd mentality keep you from trying something that is outside the box.

Don't see failure as a terrible thing, but rather as learning/teaching tool. Now you know that didn't work, because you tried it. Try again a different way.

Don't let the naysayers ("That can't be done"), determine what you attempt.

Always concentrate on the fundamentals/the basics of shooting to train your brain. All of the difficult parts of hunting, shooting, and competing require the basics and require them to be done well. Some think the distance shooting I do is not possible. I am simply practicing the basics exceptionally well. That being said, it is a perishable skill that must be maintained.

Encourage and help others, even if it means they beat your personal bests.

Practice, practice, practice from the positions you actually will use when hunting or competing. For the hunters....Get off of the bench. I still have to remind myself on this one at times.

Practice in difficult wind conditions. This what separates the men from the boys.

Take yourself out of the shot and let the gun do the work.

Reticle focus correct/clear, correct adjustment of parallax at each distance, and ensuring your gun is level are little things that make a big difference at distance.

Always remember where your front sight or reticle was when the shot broke.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Personal shooting goals for 2017:
    Grouping the 357 Magnum Franken-Ruger from 750 to possibly 1000 yards.
    Testing the Cold Shot MOAB mount past a mile on a rifle and a specialty pistol.
    Group several SP's beyond 2K out to 2500 yards.
    Get into better field shooting shape before June. I had some rust on my shooting skills this past summer.
    Shoot some 600 yard F-Class matches.
    See how far I can make connections on 10" Steel with my MOA, FA, THOR, and DOMINATOR SP's from field positions.
    Increase my speed and accuracy on 6" squares at various distances with my SD/CC handguns while moving.
    Practice with SD handguns out to 50 yards
    Clean and organize my reloading room
    Ernie "The Untactical"

I want to be 'Master' of my 'Commander' ...those 1911's are a different critter. I wanna shoot like 'Gabby Hayes'.
    Our group of shooters here on a couple of private ranges are all handloaders...though we are dedicated friends, suport and help each other, on the range we are brutal in competition.
    We are all better shots because of that.

I invented the following game (quick, spot shooting) and we have shot this game since it's inception...us old silverbacks can hold our own with the 40ish fellas but it ain't easy...about 1 of 8 games, I get a win.

Yeah...master the commander!

Fun pistol game…shoot faster and more accurate too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Hopefully a budget minded hunting trip or something to do with shooting.

Has anyone went to the Linebaugh Big Bore Shoot? It's in the middle of June just south of Cody.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-13-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: big bore
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I really need to update both my mould list and my gun list. I've got many moulds and rifles that I don't use anymore,so at 75, I otta give some of you younger folks a chance to use them.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!