RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 mag lever guns

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    You might do better sizing .460 for the Marlin 1895 but some do say that they can get away with sizing at .459. And I have to agree that it would be darn hard to beat the Marlin 1895 45-70 Government cartridge for its versatility as well as accuracy.
    Thanks I have tried that and also unsized at .462 same accuracy, the .459s shoot better then I can,getten old sucks! the .459 size die fits my old Cramer lube& sizer that uses the saco type dies the other.460 is for my Lyman sizer. I like the Cramer better.

Boolit Bub
    PapaG I can't speak about the Winchester, but my Marlin hates 2400. I've had good results with a 200gr. cowboy boolit & 5.7gr. Unique for the Marlin and a Ruger sbh. Right now the Marlin likes IMR 4227 with a 240gr. Sierra jacketed projectile. This is my hunting load for now. Hope this helps, good luck.

Mark2935

Agree about the Marlin and 4227. Mine likes 25 grains and 245 grain Keith RCBS wadcutter.

Boolit Buddy
    I have and old (pre safety) marlin 1894 in 44 mag. shot terrible with .429 cast 240 grainer over 11.5 grains unique (good load in my rossi trapper).
    took the rifle apart, cleaned up the barrel channel in the forend, tightened everything from the receiver forward and went to a 240 grain sized .432 (Arsenal molds). shoots 3-4 inches at 200 meters (was 3-4 FEET before).
    check out Arsenal molds. mine is the 245 rf plain based. they make a BEAUTIFUL mold, fast shipping, and reasonable prices.

Perma-Banned

I finally got tired of whizzing with my Marlin 44...no joy with anything...just shoot jword's in it, now. It was not worth the effort that I was putting into trying to find what cast bullet in would shoot...5" at 100yds was the best I ever got.

It is the only gun that I have that I did not find a cast bullet for.