Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Old powder or humidity?

Boolit Mold

Old powder or humidity?

Just coated some bullets the other day, same powder, tub, everything, even the chair I sit on. Coating came out real thin, pale. I dropped back on some basics and shook the blazes out of it, still not a good take. After cooking them one took a hammer just fine , but this worked just fine earlier in the spring. Does the powder age?? Took on humidity over the summer?? Any thoughts??

moon in the wrong faze, sun spots, wind out of the north instead of south, mars crossed jupiters path without an eclipse, powder gods mad about the current people running for president, etc

Some days a diamond, some days a stone for me and I ESPC. no rhyme or reason either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What fishingsetx says. I've been using some of Smoke's powder as well as some powder that is 10 years old and was stored outside under a tarp. I live in south FL. During the summer it was a chore to get the powder to stick....a lot of shaking and then more shaking. Today the humidity was 50% and required about 15 seconds worth of shaking to get a very good coat. Tomorrow, who knows!

Ive had days where the temps were in the 50's, humidity around 40%, and had major trouble with ESPC. Other days it can be 98 raining and 100% humidity and it'll coat great. sometimes its reversed. If I walk out, start a batch and start to have issues, I just put everything up and try again another day.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had the same problem with the "thin" coatings. From what I have found the thin coating occurs when the humidity in the container is high or the bullets have picked up moisture on the surface. The surface moisture is the same as on some days when casting bullets and you start to stick a spoon in to stir the melt and it starts spiting. In effect the moisture actually provides a path to drain or reduce the static charge. A couple of things I have found that help are :
    1. If you run a dehumidifier, place the open container near the outlet (just not in main air flow like I did the first time).
    2. Heat the bullets ( not enough to start melting powder) and wait for about a minute before closing lid. This raises the air temperature which actually reduces the effective humidity level.
    3. Add another spoonful of powder. If you are using Smokes powder, the double bagging keeps it bone dry.
    Hope some of these helps, Its all about the static charge generated.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you one and all. I am pursuing humidity as the main cause. working at keeping powder warm and dry. I did not think about surface of bullets...... will try warming them a bit to start. Thank you again.

Boolit Master

It is truly an art more than a science

Strange things happen when the moon is full and you absolutely need the bullets coated by the next day
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Humidity most definitely causes this problem as it will kill the necessary static charge in the shake & bake. I live in the Gulf Coast and I have those days, the powder just won't take. Then I run the AC in my garage for several hours and all of a sudden problem fixed. Preheating the bullets will help or using a gun, but with a gun you have to have good filtration to keep the moisture out of the powder. Some powders do work better than others and the reason I do not use Harbor Freight powder.

Hey dragon, You are just down the road west of me (well about 120 miles but this is Texas!)

Ive been lucky, I use this filter and so far, I havent had a moisture problem yet. Ive been through probably 50+ lbs of powder over the last year and a few months and use a 12 gallon compressor. I do drain the compressor about once every week or two though! I havent noticed any difference between dry cool weather and 95 degree 90%+ humidity with the ESPC, but I never did get dry tumble to work worth a darn on bullets despite lots of tinkering with different containers and different airsoft bbs. It worked good enough to shoot, but always looked splotchy. Some days are great and some days I give it a shot then put my stuff up and go inside! No rhyme or reason behind it! I blame the planetary alignment!