Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: New mold! Lee 358-105-swc thoughts on performance in low vel .38spl?

Boolit Buddy

New mold! Lee 358-105-swc thoughts on performance in low vel .38spl?

Thinking I may want to tighten the old belt with my lead supply. Have read both good and bad for mild .38spl loads. Loaded up a few at 3.2g of Bullseye. Hoping they feed from the Marlin. Any insight or experiences on this one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	179502
    Thanks, Bula

Bula that depends wether you have the old-style 105gr. swc, or the new style, I have both, the old style has a longer nose & feeds great in my LCP, the new style does not, and it with the same charge shows a lot higher pressure, of course in a .38 spl. or .357it would not make a difference as it's a ways to the forcing cone, my 2cents

I have the old style and use it in 380, 9x19, 38 spl, 357 Mag - thru revolvers, Rossi 92, self loaders - great boolit - didn't realize they changed designs.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Great bullet for small game. 3 gr of bullseye or red dot in a .38 special case. Shooting it out of a Marlin and a Ruger rifle.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by fivefang View Post
    Bula that depends wether you have the old-style 105gr. swc, or the new style, I have both, the old style has a longer nose & feeds great in my LCP, the new style does not, and it with the same charge shows a lot higher pressure, of course in a .38 spl. or .357it would not make a difference as it's a ways to the forcing cone, my 2cents
    I wasn't aware there were two styles. That explains the issues I had with this boolit in my 9mm.
    This boolit works well for me in 38 special. Very light recoil and accurate.
    I have since gone even lighter to the 95 grain rf from Lee. Mine drops large enough to work well in the 38 and has even less recoil with light loads than my 22lr. It also works perfectly in my 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    Follow up. That 3.2g Bullseye load felt a little snappier than I expected! Ran an average of 830 fps from a 4" combat masterpiece. Fun little shooter for sure. I may try and get down to 3g. I see very little chance of sticking a boolit at 3g. Forgot to grab the 1894C as I was racing the sunset to get some range time in.

Have to ask. How to tell if mine is the old or new one? I got it 3 or 4 years ago and mainly use for plinking in my 38 spl. I haven't used it in .380 or 9mm yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Have to ask. How to tell if mine is the old or new one? I got it 3 or 4 years ago and mainly use for plinking in my 38 spl. I haven't used it in .380 or 9mm yet.
    I can tell you that mine is the new one for sure. Does yours look much different?