Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 1892 in 45 Colt

Winchester 1892 in 45 Colt

I have been wanting one of these or a 1873. LGS had the 92 for a fair price (rifle was a special run for BACO). I have read that were two different barrel twist rates on these rifles.I could not find anything in the paper work indicating R.O.T. without using a cleaning rod and a tight patch does anyone know what the twist is for the BACO rifles ? Thought's on in the in's and out's of the Mirouku 92's. Rifle has Ser# of 00129 and it roll marked for being imported to BACO. I would think BACO would spec out cast bullet friendly R.O.T.
    Thanks for any info you may have. God Bless.

I have read the tutorial on the rebounding hammer trick if problems occur I am aware of the fix.

Found what I was looking for it is 1:26 which is perfect for what I want to do,250 gr bullets @ 1100-1200 fps. Thanks to all that looked,appears there's not a lot of these rifles around.

Banned

nope.
    hopefully it isn't oversized like the barrels on their 94's are.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by longranger View Post
    I have read the tutorial on the rebounding hammer trick if problems occur I am aware of the fix.
    Can you post the details on dealing with the rebounding hammer? I just picked up a Miroku 92 in .357 and looking to see what I can do with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a thread in this forum that explains it perfectly.

it is a very simple cure ... there is a "leg" of the spring [main] strut that simply needs to be removed for an end to the rebound system. did mine but cant remember the exact clip to make. as is mentioned above tho it is spelled out rather simply from another poster.

easy peasy

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Fix-Tutorial

in this very "levergun" section. great pictures and text. very easy to accomplish.

Super Moderator

...............I've got what I believe is an older Miroku production rifle in 45 Colt. It has a 24" tapered round barrel, and a roll engraved receiver.

Also has some pretty wood. If anyone has any info on the earlier Miroku's or a lead to info I'd appreciate hearing about it. The barrel on this rifle has a 16" twist which is the twist for 45 Colt pistols. The barrel slugs a perfect .443" x .451". I bought the rifle a few years back. It was in a local gunshop on consignment for $350 and it was missing it's buttplate? The shop owner said the same guy had another couple rifles that were also missing their buttplates. He said they had a buttplate coming in for it and they'd let me know when it arrived. About 2 weeks later I got a call that it was in. I raced back to the shop and they'd gotten a carbine buttplate They said they were tired of messing with it so they gave me $50 out of the register. That happened to be what a crescent buttplate cost from Numrich. So I was out shipping and the time and effort to fit, finish and install it.

I also performed the 'fix' for the rebounding hammer, and it was simple to accomplish.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Buckshot ... i have that exact rifle but i paid a bit more for mine. very nice rifle i gotta say. my chamber is a little on the large side tho ... how is yours?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Buckshot ... i have that exact rifle but i paid a bit more for mine. very nice rifle i gotta say. my chamber is a little on the large side tho ... how is yours?
    ............It's about the same, a bit larger then a person would like to see. Rather disappointing considering the Rossi M92 I bought has a similar chamber problem

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Odd ... Seems like getting it sleeved and a proper chamber cut is about the only cure I can think of.

My brass is over worked when I size it for the proper boolit for the bore/groove barrel. Would really like to have a proper chamber in mine.

Ok, I can't stand it - what is "BACO"?

I hate acronyms, especially when the users assume everybody else in the world just automatically know what it means.

Vendor Sponsor

Buckshot that sure is a PURTY rifle! Hail yeah it is! I would prefer the 1:16 twist personally as this would stabilize a long, heavy for caliber boolit at a lesser velocity than it would out of the 1:26 barrel. On the other hand, I had two 94AE trappers, one in 44 Magnum and the other in 45 Colt and the 44 would routinely outshoot the 45, reckon it was because the 44 had a slower twist?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

BACO= Browning Arms Co., Virtually all 45 Colt chambers in lever guns are oversized to facilitate easier chambering from a tube magazine.. Neck sizing the brass will reduce the over working of the brass,thus making the brass specifically for that gun.The 1:26 R.O.T in my 92 45 Colt stabilizes 310 gr. bullet fine @100 yds.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 10-17-2016 at 05:44 PM.

That is interesting as I have not heard of the Marlin levers in 45 colt being oversized. I had a Rossi and it didn't have the oversized chamber either.

These Miroku Winchester 92's are all I have heard of having the oversized chamber. My shot brass will accept .457 inch boolit snugly and function through the action perfectly all the time. Bore is normal but the oversized chamber is sure annoying with the overworked brass thing if I resize to accept the .454 inch boolit. Within three loadings I get split brass. Sometimes just a single loading back to .454 inch will split the brass when shot.

Banned

maybe modify one of those redding dual bushing dies to work with your rifles.
    you'd end up with a 45-40 looking case, and annealing could help too.
    but what a pain.

dang Rick I had a similar 94 to your 92 only it was in 30-30 and the animal was laid up in gold.
    with a gold band around it. [it sucked as a shooter though]
    for a long time Winchester would do up rifles for anyone willing to pay for them and you could get all kinds of roll script on the side.
    I think I even recall seeing one done for the NWO with a panda on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    maybe modify one of those redding dual bushing dies to work with your rifles.
    you'd end up with a 45-40 looking case, and annealing could help too.
    but what a pain.

dang Rick I had a similar 94 to your 92 only it was in 30-30 and the animal was laid up in gold.
    with a gold band around it. [it sucked as a shooter though]
    for a long time Winchester would do up rifles for anyone willing to pay for them and you could get all kinds of roll script on the side.
    I think I even recall seeing one done for the NWO with a panda on the side.

YEPPER ... years ago i bought a 1886 fancy bugger with some unexpected funds ... very nice wood n metal and a nice shooter to boot, 28 inch octagon barrel with very nice bluing everywhere except where the gold inlay was in the buff on one side and the grizz on the other side ... but ... never wanted to drag it thru the brush for fear so wound up trading for three other weapons and at least get my money back outta the silly thing ... i think that near 25 or so years ago i paid around 1,600 dollars for the thing and then was scared to death whenever i took it out for an exercise session.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    BACO= Browning Arms Co., Virtually all 45 Colt chambers in lever guns are oversized to facilitate easier chambering from a tube magazine.. Neck sizing the brass will reduce the over working of the brass,thus making the brass specifically for that gun.The 1:26 R.O.T in my 92 45 Colt stabilizes 310 gr. bullet fine @100 yds.

Which 310 bullet are you using? My '92 Short Rifle seems to be 1:20, Think I'll check it again...

I "short size" my cases also, although my chamber doesn't seem to be much oversize, I haven't measured it yet.

The 310gr. .452 dia.bullet was from a Keith mold cast by Mt Baldy Bullets with a hard cast alloy. I found a box of them at the local LGS a few years ago and decided not to shoot them from My Anaconda and just kept them.They shoot well and it prompted me to buy a 300 gr. mold from Accurate,different meplat than the Keith.I am just getting some cast up with Lyman #2 alloy but having gas check issues with the Gator g/c's.I have not checked the R.O.T on my own it's just what gathered from online sources.I suspect you your'e right and it's 1:20 not 1:26. (I was/am longranger). I am really enjoying this rifle.

Flinchrock, I can say the Accurate Mold #45-300 AG @.456 dia. is a winner in mine cast with Roto Metals Lyman #2 alloy. First 10 ten shots this am behind 21 grs. of IMR4227
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0300.jpg