RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special cast bullet in 9 mm

I'm amazed it fits in the chamber... Are you sure the throat of your P89 wasn't made by Thompson Center?

Do you have any other 9x19 mm pistols so you could make the plunk test also with them?
    --------
    SISU

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    I'm amazed it fits in the chamber... Are you sure the throat of your P89 wasn't made by Thompson Center?

Do you have any other 9x19 mm pistols so you could make the plunk test also with them?
    Normal throat as far as i can tell. It also plunks perfectly in my SR9C. The bullet is only .028 longer then a 147 TMJ. And it is well under maximum COL.

Ok, thanks.

I think I got to try this one out.
    --------
    SISU

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Ok, thanks.

I think I got to try this one out.
    Only shot 5 of them. Still haven't tested full mags yet. Will update when I do.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, from what I got from quickload

3.5gr of universal gives 925 fps and low chamber pressure (est about 30k psi vs max of 35k) but fills the case, so thats about tops.
    - your 3.0gr of universal shows up at 825 fps and 21.2k psi, so you have a little room for growth

3.5gr of bullseye is just a tad more, about 50 fps more with much more chamber pressure (34k psi)
    3.6gr of 231 gives right about 928 fps and the same pressure (34k)

So yeah, looks like you were right on with your loads. universal seems much better as long as youre cycling fine and sealing the brass.

(Granted this was assuming a 4.25" barrel, 155gr, .001 over groove and only a simulation... would be interested to hear chrono comparison though if you do them...)
    Last edited by mistermog; 10-11-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermog View Post
    Ok, from what I got from quickload

3.5gr of universal gives 925 fps and low chamber pressure (est about 30k psi vs max of 35k) but fills the case, so thats about tops.
    - your 3.0gr of universal shows up at 825 fps and 21.2k psi, so you have a little room for growth

3.5gr of bullseye is just a tad more, about 50 fps more with much more chamber pressure (34k psi)
    3.6gr of 231 gives right about 928 fps and the same pressure (34k)

So yeah, looks like you were right on with your loads. universal seems much better as long as youre cycling fine and sealing the brass.

(Granted this was assuming a 4.25" barrel, 155gr, .001 over groove and only a simulation... would be interested to hear chrono comparison though if you do them...)
    Thanks. As accurate as they were the first run, I hate to change them. Still have more cycle testing to do before i decide. Good to know i was on the right track though.

Boolit Buddy
    If the cycle and feed fine there's not much more you can do with that powder anyway, which is near top of the list.

Lee Precision states on their webpage that their 105 grain SWC .358" lead bullet (mold) <<works well in 9mm Luger>>.

I wonder which weights of .358" diameter (38 spl/357 mag) bullets will work, be safe and load fine in an 9mm Luger case? Will work an WC or SWC as well?

I was thinking in using the Lee 140 grain SWC .358" bullet in an 9mm Luger.

Any experience?

You MUST reduce powder charge to about at least 2 grains below minimum load data. In order to reduce pressure. From there work your way up till the semi auto reliably loads.

124's work fine for me, I have also tried the .358 158 gr round nose and that also works. But because of its length it is harder to get the length right. The lighter shorter boolits are just easier. Leave you more room for powder. Not that I am pushing mine hard with 3 grains of Red Dot.

With the 124 grain I have gone as high as 4.5 grains to be shot in my Hipoint carbine and I have a stubbed Handi rifle in 9mm which loves those.

It is doable, just take your time, make a dummy round, do the plunk test. Keep setting it deeper until it plunks. Then crimp it into place and use that round to set your dies.

Boolit Bub
    I use both 105 gr and 140 gr SWC (sized .375) in 9L. They work fine in my guns.

Typo: sized .3575 in.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Good advice. I measured it up so the base of the SWC's are the same depth in the case as the 147 TMJ's. Therefore running the same case capacity (or a hair more) as the 147's.
    I like what you're doing here, it's a neat and useful load. Sounds like you're going about it the right way too, I do a lot of experimenting with this kind of stuff and don't see anything to concern me with the way you're approaching this one.

I do wish my 9's would chamber that load, but the throats are too short on all of them; you've got a nice setup there to be able to load those. A lot of suppressor shooters (myself included) would really like a 150-160gr SWC subsonic load, but case capacity and case bulges are often a problem. Yours looks like it would work great suppressed, as long as the bullets were coated and not lubed.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    I like what you're doing here, it's a neat and useful load. Sounds like you're going about it the right way too, I do a lot of experimenting with this kind of stuff and don't see anything to concern me with the way you're approaching this one.

I do wish my 9's would chamber that load, but the throats are too short on all of them; you've got a nice setup there to be able to load those. A lot of suppressor shooters (myself included) would really like a 150-160gr SWC subsonic load, but case capacity and case bulges are often a problem. Yours looks like it would work great suppressed, as long as the bullets were coated and not lubed.

Keep up the good work!
    This particular boolit may chamber in yours. The nose area is a smaller diameter then the 158 gr SWC. If the case mouth will seat in the barrel, it should chamber. The question that might arise is will it work with your feed ramp? Refer to post number 14 and you can see the difference between the 150 and 158. My Ruger seems to digest them well so far. Only shot 5. Got 25 more ready as soon as i can get out to do it.

Feeding would not be an issue, my Glocks feed large flat nose bullets easily; the throat dimensions have always been the problem. Bullets sized to fit my bores can't have that much driving band in front of the case mouth, unless the driving band is undersized quite a bit.

Update.... Finally had a chance to get out with the P89 and try some full mags of the .38 150 gr SWC's. Shot a factory 10 rnd mag and an aftermarket 15 rnd mag. Both fed flawlessly. Shot at 15 yrds. My accuracy kind of sucked. Shot at high noon and looking directly south into a November sun. But they shot good. Upped the charge a little to 3.2 gr H Universal.

The camera in my phone sucks. Lens all scratched up, but you can see the hits.

Heres the 10 round Ruger mag.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuyzv...ature=youtu.be

Heres the 15 round aftermarket mag. Target started to fall on last shot but it was probably the best hit out of the 15! Maybe I need moving targets!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilVDRDt6WQo

All shot good. All recoil and reports identical. All perfectly round holes in target. No egg shaped or keyholes.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 11-07-2016 at 09:36 PM.

deleted...

Boolit Master
    I use the lee tumble lube 125 gr round nose mold for both 38's and 9mm. And the darn things shoot real good in all the 9mm pistols we have tried them in. Of course, it goes without saying that they are good in 38 too. I use a push through sized to make them .356 for 9mm and use them as cast for all the 38 special shooting. Glad you had good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I use the lee tumble lube 125 gr round nose mold for both 38's and 9mm. And the darn things shoot real good in all the 9mm pistols we have tried them in. Of course, it goes without saying that they are good in 38 too. I use a push through sized to make them .356 for 9mm and use them as cast for all the 38 special shooting. Glad you had good luck with your project.
    Im surprised you are not shooting them a bit bigger. My barrel slugged at .356. It shoots .357 to .358 cast really good. What are your barrels slugging at?

Sorry. Deleted do to my brain fart. Today, the only thing my head is good for is plugging the hole in my neck!
    Was thinking I forgot to lube these bullets but then remembered they were pre lubed.

But for those that didnt see it, I posted videos ^above^ with the results of the development.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 11-22-2016 at 08:43 AM.

I enjoy threads like this where empirical evidence is produced...I get so much out of following the conversation from the start.
    I like the second video where you kept at the target till that 'threat' was down! ...

I sure would like to see a camera shot at that throat in your barrel though. I would have experimented with a lot of casts before thinking of stuffing a L-SWC into one of my 9's. I shoot almost exclusively the SWC's @ 200 grains PC'd out of my 1911 though...duhhh!

Good Stuff in this thread...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell